PN-G athletics get financial support

PNGfan

100+ Posts
I think some of you misunderstood when I was throwing figures out. First, as for the MB position, that is one that was created. That position wasn't there. We're assuming that all positions in the district are filled and thier not saving money from other position where someone quit and they didn't fill. I didn't say that one assistant coach cost $82K, what I said is that two assistant coaches combined would be about $82K. Before YOU get on here bashing me get YOUR facts straight. Everybody on this board has came on here and B**ch about something or another when you believe in it, but if someone else states thier opinion then you bash them. I don't understand. If YOU have the figures of all of these increase in the budget then please share it with us and help us UNDERSTAND better. To answer the question about working with kids, I probably have more experience in that department than most of the people on here. I simply said that if a kid quits because he's displeased with an athletic program, part of it is because what's being said at the house and he's setting himself up for future failures (in so many words). I just want what is best for the whole district, and I think teachers need raises more so than football technology, this doesn't mean that I don't support football and all of the athletics at PNG. I love sports and everything about it. I'm happy that there going to have position available for the coaches that were reassigned. So please don't bash me when I question something.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Also keep in mind that the PNG football budget has been extremely small. About half what Nederland budgets for it's football program. One good playoff run and that $23K, and much more will be paid back. A strong PN-G football program puts money in the bank.

PNGfan

100+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
PNGfan said:
pngfan93 said:
How many of you complaining about this money were also complaining about our record last year? This is what it takes to win.

Do any of you know how many kids quit football because of the state of the program? As many others have eluded, this will also keep kids off the streets.

I don't buy into that. If a kid quits that's on him, I don't care how bad your team is, if you quit now, you'll quit later. I have no feelings for someone that quits. Don't make excuses for them. You can't blame lack of technology or money or bad team on someone that quits. It's called lack of heart and determination. Last time I checked, we didn't have a problem with too many kids on the streets, and I know believe me.

So you work with kids? How many hours of child psychology do you have?

"On the streets" does not necessarily refer to kids wandering the streets. It refers to kids partaking in things that they would not be doing if their time was tied up with something else like football. Stats also show that things like a strong football team keep kids from dropping out of school and keep community support strong.

But I guess you already know that.

By the way, you never answered my question about if you complained about the state of the program.

I imagine I have complained a time or two. Why? Like I've said I support PNG athletics and what has to be done to get back to the top. I guess I should've put in question form so experts like you could help me better understand the finances of the district. Please show me these so called stats that show what your talking about. You know to back up YOUR facts. Look I understand what sports does for kids, but if you don't think that some of the sports kids don't do illegal things then your blind.

NONS81

Purple Rain said:
NDNS81 said:
PNGfan said:
akifan94 said:
PNGfan said:
Teachers probably won't see a raise next year :'(

Is that a fact, or just your opinion? Are the two in any way related? I am just curious if you are trying to loop these two things together.

I admit it's not fact, but when you add in all the new expenses, new job created for MB at 82K, two more coaches positions at another I guess 90K, new technology for football 23K. It starts adding up and eventually there is nothing left for the teachers pay raises. We're already one of the lower paying districts. We're lucky that most of the teachers are from here, if it wasn't for that PNG would have a hard time finding teachers because the pay is so low.

You forgot that we have to raise the principal's salary by close to 20 (maybe 15 grand)+ 1.00 because the HC/AD cannot make more than the principal.....
I think when people start throwing figure$ around this board, I think they first need to know what they're talking about! So far - Not even CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've asked you, all of you, to feel free to ignore my post - please continue to feel free to do so....and I will continue to ignore you. Thanks!!! ;D

NONS81

I was just trying to figure out where all this money is coming from - oh now I remember. The appraisal value on house jumped 30 grand ( this figure, I do know what I am talking about here) in one year, without any improvements being made so my taxes were higher and so were everyone elses taxes, I imagine.....that's where it came from - nevermind, I understand now.

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
I was just trying to figure out where all this money is coming from - oh now I remember. The appraisal value on house jumped 30 grand ( this figure, I do know what I am talking about here) in one year, without any improvements being made so my taxes were higher and so were everyone elses taxes, I imagine.....that's where it came from - nevermind, I understand now.

Mine jumped 54,000. Welcome to the club. ;)

akifan94

500+ Posts
PNGfan said:
I think some of you misunderstood when I was throwing figures out. First, as for the MB position, that is one that was created. That position wasn't there. We're assuming that all positions in the district are filled and thier not saving money from other position where someone quit and they didn't fill. I didn't say that one assistant coach cost $82K, what I said is that two assistant coaches combined would be about $82K. Before YOU get on here bashing me get YOUR facts straight. Everybody on this board has came on here and B**ch about something or another when you believe in it, but if someone else states thier opinion then you bash them. I don't understand. If YOU have the figures of all of these increase in the budget then please share it with us and help us UNDERSTAND better. To answer the question about working with kids, I probably have more experience in that department than most of the people on here. I simply said that if a kid quits because he's displeased with an athletic program, part of it is because what's being said at the house and he's setting himself up for future failures (in so many words). I just want what is best for the whole district, and I think teachers need raises more so than football technology, this doesn't mean that I don't support football and all of the athletics at PNG. I love sports and everything about it. I'm happy that there going to have position available for the coaches that were reassigned. So please don't bash me when I question something.

I stand corrected. I misunderstood your post. My apologies.

NDN CREW

are you saying someone from the district had something to do with your appraisal on your house.....I never knew superintentant or school board members did our appraisals ....wow you do learn something new everyday.

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDN CREW said:
are you saying someone from the district had something to do with your appraisal on your house.....I never knew superintentant or school board members did our appraisals ....wow you do learn something new everyday.

Not me......just commenting on the apprasials taking a big jump.

NONS81

NDN CREW said:

This is how crap gets started... You know how it works. Even though taxes did not go up, property values did, therefore it results in more taxes paid in by everybody.

NONS81

Purple Rain said:
NDNS81 said:
PNGfan said:
akifan94 said:
PNGfan said:
Teachers probably won't see a raise next year :'(

Is that a fact, or just your opinion? Are the two in any way related? I am just curious if you are trying to loop these two things together.

I admit it's not fact, but when you add in all the new expenses, new job created for MB at 82K, two more coaches positions at another I guess 90K, new technology for football 23K. It starts adding up and eventually there is nothing left for the teachers pay raises. We're already one of the lower paying districts. We're lucky that most of the teachers are from here, if it wasn't for that PNG would have a hard time finding teachers because the pay is so low.

You forgot that we have to raise the principal's salary by close to 20 (maybe 15 grand)+ 1.00 because the HC/AD cannot make more than the principal.....
I think when people start throwing figure$ around this board, I think they first need to know what they're talking about! So far - Not even CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, is it more?????

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
NDN CREW said:

That's not what I read. All I read was that ...now they understand where the extra money is going to come from, the unrealistic raise in their home valuation, and everyone elses, ... which translates to more money for the district. Don't make more out of it than there really is.

NONS81

PNG Proud said:
NDN CREW said:

That's not what I read. All I read was that ...now they understand where the extra money is going to come from, the unrealistic raise in their home valuation, and everyone elses, ... which translates to more money for the district. Don't make more out of it than there really is.

Thanks Proud!!! ;D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some real numbers.

Based on data published on the TEA web site , PNG SD spent $699,319 (3.1%) of it''s budget on athletics in 2005-06.

For comparison, Nederland ISD expenditures for athletics was $1.5M, or 6.7% of it's budget.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Could be worse. Harris County has increased values 10% every year in many cases. Luckily there is a 10% cap in place!

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
PNGfan said:
pngfan93 said:
How many of you complaining about this money were also complaining about our record last year? This is what it takes to win.

Do any of you know how many kids quit football because of the state of the program? As many others have eluded, this will also keep kids off the streets.

I don't buy into that. If a kid quits that's on him, I don't care how bad your team is, if you quit now, you'll quit later. I have no feelings for someone that quits. Don't make excuses for them. You can't blame lack of technology or money or bad team on someone that quits. It's called lack of heart and determination. Last time I checked, we didn't have a problem with too many kids on the streets, and I know believe me.

Here are some studies posted on the Internet. If I had time, I could go to Lamar and research it for you, but I'll leave that to you if you're interested enough.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/smithab.356/extracurricular_activities
Research has found that participating in extracurricular activities, especially the arts leads to three major positive implications. Participation in extracurricular activities leads to critical thinking, development, and helps to keep children out of trouble.

. . .

Thirdly, participation in extracurricular activities have helped keep kids out of trouble. "Involvement in community clubs and organizations are important in fostering the strengths of the youth, strengths that help young people steer away from undersiarble behavior" (Holloway). Especially after schools programs keep kids occupied and prevent them from going out and getting in trouble. Participation in these activities also strengthens the connection between school and the student, promoting a positive outlook on education. Many after school programs, especially sports, schools have "enacted a 'no pass/no play' law'' (Holloway). This forces students to do academically well in order to participate. Because sports programs are such an important part of many kids' lives, they force themselves to do well in school. This in turn promotes learning and has a positive impact on these kids.

http://www.jrre.psu.edu/articles/v10,n2,p116-120,Stevens.pdf
Scoggen' s (1984) study of over 9,000 students from small and large high schools in New York concluded that the small-school students' higher degree of extracurricular participation is strongly related to later cognitive, social, and personality development in adulthood.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/433231/Bowman_-Etima-Seven-Ways-to-Increase-At-risk-Student-Participation-in-Extra-curricular-Activties%5B4%5D
Involved students were less likely to skip school, get into fights, vandalize property, smoke cigarettes or marijuana, binge drink, or have sexual intercourse.

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/cy/other/fs9932.pdf
Youth problem behaviors, such as truancy, violence, and substance use, are alarming to parents, teachers and youth alike. These behaviors disrupt the learning environment and lead to serious social and economic problems. Some experts have argued that rather than trying to prevent individual problem behaviors, parents, schools and communities should work towards building a youth's ability to resist the lure of problem behaviors (Dryfoos, 1990; Werner & Smith, 1992). As youth develop, they need positive settings that offer the opportunity to build these important internal resources (Hawkins & Weiss, 1985). Researchers and teachers have long suggested that extracurricular activity participation can be an important source of positive influence in the lives of youth (Holland & Andre, 1987).

. . .

A considerable amount of research has examined the benefits of youth participation in extracurricular activities. This research has found that youth who participate in extracurricular activities are more likely to:
o Have better grades (Marsh, 1992);
o Have higher standardized test scores (Gerber, 1996);
o Have higher educational attainment (Hanks & Eckland, 1976);
o Attend school more regularly (Mahoney & Cairns, 1997);
o Have higher self-concepts (Marsh, 1992).

Youth who participate also have been found to be less likely to:
o Use substances (Cooley, Henriksen, Nelson & Thompson, 1995);
o Dropout of school (Mahoney & Cairns, 1997);
o Misbehave at school (Marsh, 1992);
o Commit delinquent acts (Landers & Landers, 1978).

. . .

At a time when many youth are at risk for involvement in problem behaviors, youth and adults need to work together to develop positive sources of influence for youth. Extracurricular activities can be one of these sources. These activities, however, have to be organized carefully to be appealing and engaging to youth.

Do I need to go on and get you more studies for you to understand this concept. Notice that all of these are from universities. That's what the .edu stands for in the web address.

pngfan30 said:
Do any of you know how many kids quit football because of the state of the program?

Name me 5 kids that quit football last year. :)

I will not name any names of students on this message board. Even if I were low enough to do so for the simple act of proving my point, the names would be removed quickly. I know of two potential QBs that did not pursue the program expressly because of the state it was in. There were also some WRs. I'm not sure the number. Think of it this way - How many adolescents are going to get beat up practicing a physical sport on a daily basis when they know they are not going to get used when game time comes? That is why we lose QB and WR candidates.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Hopefully not anymore!! ;D Hopefully things will turn around to where their will be a waiting line to get on Varsity. :woot: :helmet:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores