PN-G Quarterback Greats

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Port Neches-Groves football history includes many great players over the decades. The top four quarterbacks in terms of career passing yardage were some of the best.

With at least six games remaining in the 2018 season, Roschon Johnson is on target to break the career passing yardage record currently held by Adam Morse.

Roschon Johnson set a new career passing record in the fist quarter of the Dayton game. With three regular season games remaining, the total is 6,537 yards and counting. Congratulations Roschon and all receivers who are part of that record. Kudos to all offensive lineman and others who protected the QB on those completed passes.

Exciting times for PN-G football.

For more information including stats:
http://www.pngindians.com/football/quarterbacks/

PNG_Top_QBs-4.jpg

RoschonsBigBro

Woudlve had it already had he not missed these games! Here's to a successful PNG Season! Week 2 of District vs Vidor. Its about to get real

bark

1,000+ Posts
MOM2INDIANS said:
All great QB's and exciting to watch.

Plus RJ has all those rushing yards to boot. Are we blessed or what? :clap:
I had kind of forgotten that Adam and Long did it in 2 years.

Long on the last great team we had - 99 State appearance Burnett defense and Long OC those two, along with Ethridge and Clearman in the State runs, prove you have to have a great OC and DC

Matt did do it for - what 19 years at PNG??

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Morse might have had 8,000 to 9,000 yards if he’d started all 3 seasons. He was second in line behind a very capable All-State QB Ky Walker who passed for 2,128 yards during the 2013 season.

bark

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Morse might have had 8,000 to 9,000 yards if he’d started all 3 seasons. He was second in line behind a very capable All-State QB Ky Walker who passed for 2,128 yards during the 2013 season.

I forgotten about Walker too. He Halfin and a couple of others came from HF/Lumberton to PNG

hookem14

100+ Posts
bark said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

Long on the last great team we had - 99 State appearance Burnett defense and Long OC those two, along with Ethridge and Clearman in the State runs, prove you have to have a great OC and DC

15 years as Head Coach. A very mediocre winning percentage. four losing seasons and three .500 seasons.

bark

1,000+ Posts
hookem14 said:
bark said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

15 years as Head Coach. A very mediocre winning percentage. four losing seasons and three .500 season

we always differ on Matt. :hookem:

hookem14

100+ Posts
bark said:
hookem14 said:
bark said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

15 years as Head Coach. A very mediocre winning percentage. four losing seasons and three .500 season

Yes we do...Just out of curiosity, a very simple question too you. If Matt was such a Defensive Guru, how come he didn't win more than 58% of his games as a HC?

RoschonsBigBro

hookem14 said:
bark said:
hookem14 said:
bark said:
MOM2INDIANS said:

Yes we do...Just out of curiosity, a very simple question too you. If Matt was such a Defensive Guru, how come he didn't win more than 58% of his games as a HC?

Im not the best person to answer but it seems that Burnett had Long as a Qb and not much else on that level. From what I hear his teams had defense and would beat you that way. The 2000s were a transitioning period for high school, college, and nfl offenses from smashmouth ball to spread offenses that pass much more. Maybe that transition affected him.
BF on the other hand had Doty, Morse, and Shug, some of the best passing qbs around and ran the spread, trading away tough D for putting up points which in our district today is a working formula because in our districts the D is average and most teams dont put up tons of points. Even today the only teams in our district who can truly pass the ball and put up points week in and out are Crosby, Us and sometimes Nederland, which is largely why we along with those schools are district favs year in and out.
Thats just my opinion

Torino

500+ Posts
IndianFan said:
True. 2 good QBs in 2012.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
You can win big with an average defense, but you have to have an overwhelming offense to compensate for what you give up on defense. See the Stephenville teams coached by Art Briles during the nineties. Stephenville never had dominant defenses. They did have an average defense and an overwhelming offense. In the 1999 State Finals, Stephenville did just enough to stop PN-G and then Kendall Briles ran wild on the Indians or he dinked and dunked throwing the ball after motion created a numbers advantage for the Yellow Jackets in the short passing game.

The days of a dominant defense carrying a team to the 5A or 6A state championship are over. The likes of 1985 Houston Yates are long gone. 7 on 7 has created passing games at the high school level that can eventually score. It translate to Friday nights. See Allen, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake, Katy, North Shore, Highland Park, et al. Katy and Highland Park do it with balance, but they have numbers. Also, when Katy wins a state title, the Tigers usually have a massive OL and when they have to score, they can throw the ball around. None of the aforementioned teams are winning on defense alone. it just doesn't happen anymore. Offenses are too good. PN-G will never be able to have the numbers that Allen, Lake Travis, North Shore, Katy, or Highland Park have year in and year out. The Indians are not going to roll out four or five 6'6" 265 lbs. offensive linemen ala Katy and defensive ends that stand 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs. Those numbers are far and few between. The Indians occasionally get big OL kids and good-sized DL/DE kids. PN-G does have a few kids that can sling the ball around and go catch it. Spread the field, find a match-up that works, and throw the ball around. On defense, find the 11 best kids to go tackle. It is easier to type and discuss versus actually put into practice.

I'd rather have a chance to win with offense versus lose 14-0, or 7-3, or 21-7. I'd rather have a shot to win 6 to 10 games/year versus winning 4 or 5 and praising the defense that sits home during the playoffs.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Go Indians. Peace.

hookem14

100+ Posts
1989NDN said:
You can win big with an average defense, but you have to have an overwhelming offense to compensate for what you give up on defense. See the Stephenville teams coached by Art Briles during the nineties. Stephenville never had dominant defenses. They did have an average defense and an overwhelming offense. In the 1999 State Finals, Stephenville did just enough to stop PN-G and then Kendall Briles ran wild on the Indians or he dinked and dunked throwing the ball after motion created a numbers advantage for the Yellow Jackets in the short passing game.

The days of a dominant defense carrying a team to the 5A or 6A state championship are over. The likes of 1985 Houston Yates are long gone. 7 on 7 has created passing games at the high school level that can eventually score. It translate to Friday nights. See Allen, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake, Katy, North Shore, Highland Park, et al. Katy and Highland Park do it with balance, but they have numbers. Also, when Katy wins a state title, the Tigers usually have a massive OL and when they have to score, they can throw the ball around. None of the aforementioned teams are winning on defense alone. it just doesn't happen anymore. Offenses are too good. PN-G will never be able to have the numbers that Allen, Lake Travis, North Shore, Katy, or Highland Park have year in and year out. The Indians are not going to roll out four or five 6'6" 265 lbs. offensive linemen ala Katy and defensive ends that stand 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs. Those numbers are far and few between. The Indians occasionally get big OL kids and good-sized DL/DE kids. PN-G does have a few kids that can sling the ball around and go catch it. Spread the field, find a match-up that works, and throw the ball around. On defense, find the 11 best kids to go tackle. It is easier to type and discuss versus actually put into practice.

I'd rather have a chance to win with offense versus lose 14-0, or 7-3, or 21-7. I'd rather have a shot to win 6 to 10 games/year versus winning 4 or 5 and praising the defense that sits home during the playoffs.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Go Indians. Peace.
BINGO!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Very true.

Which is also why a lot of us talk about just improving some easily corrected fundamentals. If that results in just one or two added defensive stops per game, the offense will prevail more often than not. One good tackle can stop a drive. Turning around and knocking down one pass can stop a drive.

Most of the PNG offense is back next year including offensive line and skill positions. And Bost can throw the ball very, very well. Faircloth will develop him into another great QB. They might even move the ball as well as this years team. Just with with less focus on the QB run. Can the defense improve?

bandkid

Staff member
I think the problem started at the college level. When the spread became the norm in Texas, we stopped producing top quality defensive linemen at the same rate as other states that haven't embraced it. If you look at a map of where the best defensive linemen in the country come from, the top producing states are all in SEC country, where we still play 'grown man football' from Pop Warner to the pros, followed by the B1G states. Texas produces some incredible quarterbacks and players at the skills positions, but we just don't shell out a lot of super talented players on the D-Line. We do put up a lot of talent in our secondaries (I can't be a good Alabama fan and forget the likes of Tony Brown and Deionte Thompson), but that's also a product of a state where pass-prolific offenses reign supreme.

Southeast Texas is a little bit of an exception to the rule with the likes of WO-S and Nederland. But Faircloth's not a product of the Golden Triangle football academy. He cut his teeth at places like Odessa Permian, where Mack Brown's spread offense is the law of the land. I'm hopeful Jimbo Fisher will change some of that. But if he does, it'll take a while.

For what it's worth, I agree that our tackling could improve. But I'm also not sure how much longer tackling is going to be embraced in football. Already, hits that were championed four or five years ago are considered targeting today at the college level. Devin White didn't even hit Miss. State's quarterback that hard and he's suspended for half a game. It's a matter of time before that becomes pervasive at the high school level, too. The concussion scandal in the NFL is having repercussions down the line.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Great comments.

Iron sharpens iron. So it makes sense that good passing games would inspire and result in great pass defensive.

PNG typically does not have an abundance of speed, so scheme and technique is even more important.

Regarding DLs, the highlight video I’ve seen of John Nichols has been impressive. He’s a beast for his size.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores