PN-G Schools

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Remember this? PN-G Planetarium. This was after my time, but i still can't believe that they demolished it.

"A gathering for those interested in the dark night sky, the stars, the constellations, and deep space features of all sorts, without the distractions of being outside - the weather, the insects, and the funny smells."

"The first Tuesday of each month, at 6:30 P.M. at the PN-G ISD Planetarium, on the PN-G High School campus."

1587531030282.png

1587531067048.png

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The Planetarium was in use during my four years at The Reservation. The director retired and a new one came on board. I think Mr. Williams replaced Mr. Shoemaker. Also, the school updated the machinery and technology used to present programs. I did not know that the school demolished the Planetarium. Time flies.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Back then...we had the totem pole in the courtyard outside of the cafeteria, the gymnasium received a new paint job with the purple and white war whoop lines around the top of the second level, and the driver's education room was underneath bleachers in the gym. Remember the old driving school booths with steering wheels? Thanks to Coach Togo Railey for teaching me to drive.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Back then...we had the totem pole in the courtyard outside of the cafeteria, the gymnasium received a new paint job with the purple and white war whoop lines around the top of the second level, and the driver's education room was underneath bleachers in the gym. Remember the old driving school booths with steering wheels? Thanks to Coach Togo Railey for teaching me to drive.
Good memories! Yes on the driving school. Not sure if it was the same equipment, but the school had just gotten new simulators when I took drivers Ed. They were placed in the old B wing building which was demolished a few years back. Can’t remember who the instructor was, seems like it may have been Coach Railey. I do clearly remember having to drive over the Rainbow bridge which was absolutely nuts.

I have not been back to the high school in decades and would probably not recognize it.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of the old patio, if you remember this annual tradition, you just might be an old Indian.

Patio2.jpg

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Look at all of the windows that are opened. That must be during the early seventies or during the sixties before the school district installed AC. It looks like the incoming 10th graders were getting ready to bow at the totem pole. Can you imagine the bitching and moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth, and LAWSUITS filed if the kids did something like that today? Times of harmless fun and understandings of political correctness have changed.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Look at all of the windows that are opened. That must be during the early seventies or during the sixties before the school district installed AC. It looks like the incoming 10th graders were getting ready to bow at the totem pole. Can you imagine the bitching and moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth, and LAWSUITS filed if the kids did something like that today? Times of harmless fun and understandings of political correctness have changed.

Go Indians. Peace.

I think that’s back in the late 60s, Way before my time!

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I thinks that back in the late 60s, Way before my time!
That picture is from the 1966 War Whoop - my sophomore year at PNG. And, yes, there was no A/C in the high school at that time. I remember all too well having papers stuck to my arm with sweat as I was writing on them. Some of the teachers had small fans to keep them a little cooler. No fans for the students, but somehow we survived.

bandkid

Staff member
The Planetarium was in use during my four years at The Reservation. The director retired and a new one came on board. I think Mr. Williams replaced Mr. Shoemaker. Also, the school updated the machinery and technology used to present programs. I did not know that the school demolished the Planetarium. Time flies.
Just now seeing this. The planetarium was destroyed by Rita. The room was salvageable but the equipment was not and the money was needed elsewhere. By the time the district had the money to fix it (after the 2007 bond issue), it was just too far gone.

I had a lot of good memories of the planetarium from elementary school field trips. Had always hoped to take astronomy in there one day. Unfortunately, that never happened.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores