PN-G vs. College Station

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
College Station band has about 50 members. Isn't it common for visiting team bands to play towards the home crowd? CS is playing to their side of the stadium.

In the playoffs, they typically face their own fans. At least that's what I've noticed in the past few years.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another stop by the Indian defense.

Indians are fighting until the last second ticks off the clock.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Time is not going to allow the Indians to come back in this game.

Great season by the Indians. Much of the offensive firepower for PN-G was lost to injuries late in the season. But that's the breaks and doesn't take away from the young players that stepped up to fill the injury gaps and the great performances by the rest of the team.

This loss is going to be tough on the great senior leadership on this team. But they represented the purple and white well throughout the year and should hold their heads high even in defeat.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Great PN-G crowd at Stallworth...CS was clearly the better team...#1 the CS QB was quick, elusive, and a play maker. The Indians fought hard and gave what they had to give. What more can you ask for? Great effort by the kids and coaches. The two snafus on the punt team gave CS 14 points, and those plays hurt and changed the flow of the game at the time, but I'm not sure the final outcome would have been different if those plays did hot happen. CS was just better. They had #1 (QB), #27 (RB), and two big OTs (#75 and #73). Our Indians battled. Nice game by RJ and the kids around him. It was hard to go score for score with CS. The lateral pass and then bomb to #10 would have been nice, but it did not happen...slipped through his hands...no worries, it's high school football. Proud of all the PN-G kids.

Interesting, CS fight song was the old Go Ye Port Arthur to a much faster tempo. I loved the fake punt in the 1Q where Bost threw a strike to #7. Nice play...well executed. RJ's 70+ yard run for a TD was a beauty. I liked CS' movement by the QB during the snap...where he moves left or right before the snap and the center executes a directional snap...reminded me of Kendall Briles and Stephenville...that kind of play takes a lot of skill and execution by the center and QB...talk about trust...directional snaps are trust.

Interesting, part II, I think CS was the best team PN-G played all year...CS would beat PAM and I don't think it would be all that close. The PN-G PAT team was very good...strong snaps, holds, and good solid kicks. Proud of that group for practicing hard and getting better. Well done.

Can't say enough about the 2016 PN-G Indians. Great season...thanks for the playoff ride. Be proud Seniors 2017...you are leaders and winners.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
SethNDN said:
IndianFan said:
Great TD catch by Riggs. Indians down to one original starter at wide receiver.
Is Dylan M. out due to injury or to let a young receiver get playing time

McGough started the game and had a long TD catch. Looked like he had a leg injury in the second half and left the game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
College Station 52, Port Neches-Groves 28-Final
College Station Overall: 8-1 District: 3-1
Port Neches-Groves Overall: 11-2 District: 7-1

BOXSCORE
Friday November 25, 2016 7:00pm

1 2 3 4 Total
College Station 14 24 14 0 52
Port Neches-Groves 14 7 0 7 28

Scoring summary
PNG --Dylan McGough14-yard passfrom Roschon Johnson(Preston Riggs kick), 5:14, 1st.
CLG --DaDa Anderson10-yard passfrom Marquez Perez(Ryan Bowersox kick), 1:21, 1st.
CLG --Brandon Joseph16-yard fumble recovery(Ryan Bowersox kick), 10:10, 1st.
PNG --Dylan McGough78-yard passfrom Roschon Johnson(Preston Riggs kick), 0:54, 1st.
PNG --Roschon Johnson73-yard run(Preston Riggs kick), 8:48, 2nd.
CLG --DaDa Anderson65-yard run(Ryan Bowersox kick), 8:32, 2nd.
CLG --Marquez Perez1-yard run(Ryan Bowersox kick), 6:45, 2nd.
CLG --Marquez Perez6-yard run(Ryan Bowersox kick), 10:18, 2nd.
CLG --Ryan Bowersox35-yard field goal, 0:05, 2nd.
CLG --Eric Peterson47-yard passfrom Harrison Wellmann(Ryan Bowersox kick), 3:18, 3rd.
CLG --Marquez Perez61-yard run(Ryan Bowersox kick), 11:11, 3rd.
PNG --Preston Riggs14-yard passfrom Roschon Johnson(Preston Riggs kick), 10:40, 4th.

Team Stats
College Station Port Neches-Groves
Total yards 495 373
First downs 17 15
Rushes/Yds 37/349 27/150
Average rush 9.43 5.56
Comp/Atts 11/16/0 18/33/1
Pass yards 146 223
Comp pct 68.75 54.55
Punts 2 3
Punting Yards 83 67
Punting Average 41.5 22.33
Fumbles/Lost 0/0 3/1
Penalties-yards 9-110 4-35

College Station

Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Marquez Perez 10 15 66.67 99 1 0
Harrison Wellmann 1 1 100 47 1 0

Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Braden Tschirhart 1 11 11 11 0
Marquez Perez 14 144 10.3 61 3
Josh Ham 2 3 1.5 7 0
DaDa Anderson 19 191 10.1 65 2
Eric Peterson 1 0 0 0 0

Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Jaelin Campbell 1 10 10 10 0
Harrison Wellmann 7 69 9.9 18 0
DaDa Anderson 2 20 10 10 1
Eric Peterson 1 47 47 47 1

Port Neches-Groves

Passing
Name Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Austin Bost 1 1 100 21 0 0
Preston Riggs 0 1 0 0 0 0
Roschon Johnson 17 31 54.84 202 3 1

Rushing
Name Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Roschon Johnson 15 114 7.6 73 1
Gage Carreon 2 5 2.5 3 0
Gavin Deslatte 9 48 5.3 19 0

Receiving
Name Rec Yds Yds/Catch Long TD
Dylan McGough 4 97 24.3 78 1
Preston Riggs 13 112 8.6 19 2
Riley Andrews 1 10 10 10 0
Thomas Gunner 1 4 4 4 0
Cameron Stansbury 1 21 21 21 0

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A few observations from watching first half of the game...

CS specials teams play was excellent. They kicked the ball into the end zone practically every time eliminating any return threats.

CS offensive line averaged about 280 pounds and pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage.

CS skill position players on offense were very quick. Those high scoring games this season were no fluke.

Poor sportsmanship by CS defensive players with the Land Shark and Tomahawk chop mimicking.

Great game by Dylan McGough. 78 yard TD reception and multiple clutch receptions.

Preston Riggs... 13 receptions, 2 TDs, a great pass attempt , and great PAT kicking. Should be a candidate for game Offensive MVP.

CS took the run away and challenged the Indians to beat them with the pass. 17 completions out of 31 attempts for the Indians. Johnson had the 73 yard TD run, but otherwise run game was held under 100 yards.

Roschon Johnson - 316 total yards and 4 TDs including 202 yards passing and 3 TDs throught the air. Great effort, great season. Should be SE Texas Offensive MVP.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Newspaper story from The Eagle in Bryan/College Station.

College Station football team wins 13th straight

College Station's Marquez Perez carries the ball during the first quarter against Port Neches-Groves at Stallworth Stadium in Baytown on Friday night.

COLLEGE STATION FOOTBALL
• What: Class 5A Division II regional playoffs
• Final: College Station 52, Port Neches-Groves 28
• Records: College Station (13-0); PN-G (11-2)
• Next: College Station vs. Fort Bend Marshall (11-2), time and site TBA

Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 12:00 am

By RYAN POSNER ryan.posner@theeagle.com | 0 comments

BAYTOWN -- The story of College Station's year of firsts grew a chapter longer Friday night at Stallworth Stadium.
With another offensive outburst this postseason, the Cougars cruised to a 52-28 victory over Port Neches-Groves and advanced to the Class 5A state quarterfinals for the first time in football.
College Station (13-0) already had notched its first undefeated regular season and its first season with more than 10 wins. The Cougars added to their resume of firsts with their deepest playoff plunge in just their third year in 5A.
"I'm really proud of the kids. That's the main thing," College Station coach Steve Huff said. "They've worked their tails off all year, and you just hope there's something to show for it, and there's been plenty to show so far."
Entering Friday, PN-G's season-high in points allowed was 33. College Station surpassed that by halftime with a 38-21 lead thanks to another all-around solid performance from junior quarterback Marquez Perez.
Perez had 16 carries for a team-high 162 yards and three touchdowns while also going 12-for-16 passing with 102 yards and a touchdown. Perez has 12 total touchdowns through three games this postseason.
"It's always the same: We just try to go out there and execute," Perez said. "I attribute it to the O-line. It all starts up front. They make the holes for me. I just had to take care of it."
With the game tied 21-21 midway through the second quarter, College Station took care of things by rattling off 31 unanswered points.
Junior running back DaDa Anderson, filling in for senior Chris Monroe who was out with a hip injury, started the run with a 65-yard touchdown run. Anderson had 17 carries for 156 yards and also hauled in a 10-yard touchdown pass from Perez in the first quarter.
"My coaches and parents always tell me if given the opportunity, step up," Anderson said. "Even if someone gets hurt, just step up and be the man."
A 1-yard TD run from Perez and 35-yard field goal from senior Ryan Bowersox gave the Cougars their comfortable halftime lead. Perez then scored on a 61-yard run to open up the second half and helped quite a massive crowd from PN-G (11-2).
"We had a nice crowd here, but to see a team travel like [PN-G] at this time of the year is awesome," Huff said. "It's nice for our kids to play in front of that many people. We told our guys all week how well they traveled, and they were as good as advertised."
The Cougars reached a little deeper in the playbook for their final score as Harrison Wellmann took a lateral pass then found Eric Peterson for a 47-yard touchdown pass. Wellmann also led Cougars receivers with seven catches for 72 yards.
Indians sophomore quarterback Roschon Johnson's 19-yard touchdown pass to junior Preston Riggs early in the fourth quarter was not enough to mount a comeback. Johnson led the Indians with 17 carries for 116 yards and a touchdown. He also threw for 205 yards and three touchdowns.
But struggles in the punting game cost PN-G. The Indians botched two snaps with sophomore Brandon Joseph returning one of them for a Cougar touchdown in the first quarter.
"There were definitely a couple times where things were swaying back and forth, and we were able to take the momentum," Huff said. "Momentum in a game like this is huge, and I think we got that through our special teams."
College Station will try to continue adding to its record-breaking season when it takes on Fort Bend Marshall next week in the Class 5A state quarterfinals. The time and site has yet to be determined.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nice article. And 100% correct on the momentum aspect. CS may have still scored a bunch. But to give them 14 points was devastating. The dynamics of the game gravitate around momentum and confidence levels. With the 3 shots in the foot equating to about 21 points, the Indians went from trading points to being in a deep hole and playing catchup most of the game.

Hopefully some fundamentals will be perfected for next season. Snapping the ball, kicking, blocking and tackling.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Good season for Memorial as well.

Neither team made it all the way, but represented 22-5A well and created some great memories for Port Neches, Groves and Port Arthur, and alumnus across the state, nation and world.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Nice article. And 100% correct on the momentum aspect. CS may have still scored a bunch. But to give them 14 points was devastating. The dynamics of the game gravitate around momentum and confidence levels. With the 3 shots in the foot equating to about 21 points, the Indians went from trading points to being in a deep hole and playing catchup most of the game.

Hopefully some fundamentals will be perfected for next season. Snapping the ball, kicking, blocking and tackling.

+1!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan said:
College Station band has about 50 members. Isn't it common for visiting team bands to play towards the home crowd? CS is playing to their side of the stadium.

During the playoffs, it's ok to play to your own side, since neither team is actually "home".

Fairlane

100+ Posts
Indians dealt with some tough injuries before the season started and then some more just before and during the playoffs. All in all, a very good season. This only the second season to go to the third round since the 1999 team.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores