PN-G vs. Crosby Game Thread

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Indians TD.

PN-G 28
Crosby 49

4Q...2 mins.

The Indians are still fighting...SOPH QB Morse has had an outstanding game. He should get a serious look as the starting QB in 2014. The radio crew makes it sound like Morse throws a strong, crisp pass.

Go Indians. Peace.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Torino said:
Crosby is piling up a lotta yards

Crosby has piled up a lot of yards on most of the teams they have played in 2013...they have 2 outstanding HS football players on offense. No shame in losing to a better team. PN-G will bounce back in 2014 and 2015. PN-G played well in 2013, better than expected. A good season comes to a close.

Go Indians. Peace.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PN-G 28
Crosby 49

Final.

Good season Indians...7-4 record...a taste of the playoffs...several good close games this year. Lots of talent coming back in 2014 and 2015.

Go Indians. Peace.

Torino

500+ Posts
Too many early turnovers.
Not sure Crosby was that much better if you take away the first qtr early turnovers.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A few observations:

The Indians never quit and played a very respectable game. No one has stopped what Crosby does all year. It will take an incredible defense for any team to stop them.

No amount of coaching or play calling can create or stop the type of speed and quickness that Crosby's #27 has. He's as good or better than the back that PNG played in 2008 that's now in the NFL.

The 4th down conversions by the Indian offense were incredible and demonstrated the true grit of this team.

On offense the poorly thrown balls and resulting interceptions early in the game set a tone that was not going to be overcome.

Morse needs to be the starting QB next year. He's bigger, a much better running threat, has a stronger and more accurate arm, makes fewer mistakes, and is more of a presence on the field.

The Indians need a running back that will hit the hole with authority, make good decisions, make his cut and run. Running into the line of scrimmage and dancing around, and not running hard is not productive.

Cropper should get a long look as the starting back next season.

Rose left everything he had on the field, cramping up throughout the game but still playing both sides of the ball. He will be missed.

The Indians have several returning skill players on offense and a few returning on defense. Other than that they'll need to load up with players from the outstanding JV and freshman teams.

Last but not least, where were the fans? PNG fans didn't even fill half of the home stands. That may be the worst playoff attendance in many years.

Thank you 2013 seniors. You represented well and have much to be proud of. Hold your heads high, the team you lost to tonight is going to do the same to many more teams this year. It wasn't meant to be this year, but that takes nothing away from a special season in which you overcame several obstacles and wore the purple and white with pride and honor.

Game Stats:
Crosby 49, Port Neches-Groves 28

Crosby 21 7 7 14 —49

PN-G 0 7 7 14—28

Scoring summary

CRY: Austin Walter 44 run. Run fail.

CRY: Austin Walter 11 run. Aston Walter run.

CRY: Kyle Williams 48 interception return. Juan Ochoa kick.

PNG: Brant Halfin 18 run. Dylan East kick.

CRY: Austin Walter 18 run. Ochoa kick.

PNG: Kaleb Sparks 17 pass from Jeremiah Rose. East kick.

CRY: Austin Walter 9 run. Ochoa kick.

CRY: Austin Walter 56 run. Ochoa kick.

PNG: Kody Cropper 1 run. East kick.

CRY: Austin Walter 70 run. Ochoa kick.

PNG: Adam Morse 5 pass from Kaleb Sparks. East kick.

———

Crosby PNG

First downs 19 21

Rushes-yards 32-379 44-154

Passing yards 177 314

Total yards 556 468

Passes 14-19-0 25-50-3

Fumbles-Lost 1-1 1-0

Penalties-Yards 7-60 4-20

Punts-Avg. 1-30 2-23

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Rushing: Crosby: Austin Walter 19-276, Aston Walter 9-79. PN-G: Brant Halfin 19-60, Kody Cropper 16-59, Adam Morse 6-27, Reece Wardlow 1-7, Kaleb Sparks 1-2, Ky Walker 1-(-1).

Passing: Crosby: Aston Walter 14-19-0 177. PNG: Morse 18-35-0 217, Walker 5-12-3 75, Jeremiah Rose 1-2-0 17, Sparks 1-1-0 5.

Receiving: Crosby: Cullen Lee 4-65, Austin Walter 4-39, Trevor Larkin 3-34, Vernon Allen 2-31. PNG: Rose 11-142, Wardlow 6-69, Avery Murdock 4-48, Sparks 2-50, Morse 1-5.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Great Grit from this team. Never gave up. Proud of all the boys. The NDN's did expose Crosby's weakness. Look at our passing yards against them. This game was competitive. Turnovers killed us. One for a pick 6. 2 TD's were nullified by int. Oh well. Young team. Great experience to gain for the underclassmen. Next year will be a great season. Morse stepped in and did a great job. Proud of all the boys on the team. Coaches did a great job as well trying to adjust as quickly as possible. Overall a great season. Nothing to hang your head about. Be Proud !

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Great effort by the Indians.

Lost to a very good Crosby team. Looking forward to many successful playoff runs in the years to come.

And yes....I was shocked at the lack of fans. I am uncertain as to what happened to everyone, but was shocked to see us barely fill up half of the stands in Barbers Hill. :huh:

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Proud of the Indians was a great stand made by this very young team who played their tales off. Especially proud of Morse that young kid can play some football. He is going to be a great leader for the Indians. Great job seniors you guys led this young team in one of the Indians better turnarounds. Looking forward to the next few seasons.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Morse reminds me of a former Indian qb who was about the same size as a senior. He has a strong arm too.

Richy Ethridge.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan, were you there? I would have liked to finally meet the head honcho!
Former NDNette: LOL... What did I tell ya?

bandkid

Staff member
I don't know how many times I said it before the season started. Walker is a heck of an athlete, but Morse is a born quarterback. Walker can do just as well, if not better, at cornerback, and we can always use help on the defensive side of the ball. That's the only critique I've had of Faircloth's decisions this season.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I know I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but I may go ahead and book a hotel near Jerry World for the '14 and '15 State Championship...lol! A little FAITH never hurts! ;)

VegasNDN

I was able to go to the game Friday. We were up against a very talented Crosby team. Not taking anything from them, but take away the early 21 points, and this would have been a whole different game. After watching a few games in person this year, I can't understand why it took so long for Morse to play; that kid is legit. Very impressed with our underclassmen as well. Looking forward to the next several seasons.

2014 and beyond....Fear the Spear!!

badndn

500+ Posts
Folks how quickly we forget that Ky Walker led this team to 7 wins and 2 losses during the regular season. He missed most of the SC game, but was 7-9 90 yds in that game before the injury. He also did an outstanding job against Nederland and gave us a chance to win. He earned the job and did well enough to keep it til last friday night and Adam stepped in and did very good. Ky impressed me by not pouting on the side. Instead he cheered on his team and was one of the first to meet Adam on the sidelines.
Adam does bring the running threat and Ky can help on D, but I suspect the two will battle it out next year and whoever wins the job I will be comfortable with.

akifan94

500+ Posts
Ky is a winner but I think Morse should be the QB next year. Ky can help this team in other places. Not to knock him but in 7 games against playoff teams and Ozen he threw 6 TD's to 12 Interceptions. Also, Morse adds the ability to run to the offense. We ran the zone read a lot this year but the QB never kept it. There is no point in running it if you do not add that element.

badndn

500+ Posts
Ky had a QB rating of 98 against the 4A playoff teams and Ozen
Adam in his action against SC, LCM and Crosby had a rating of 101.

Factor in the WOS and Silsbee games, which I think we all agree were high quality opponents and Ky was at 130.

Again I love the experience these young men got this year and look for a great season from whoever wins the job in 2014 because of these experiences.

The kicker in all this may be growth. Adam is probably still growing and could be a monster behind center by next year. That could make all the difference in the end.

Proud for both young men and glad they are PNG Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The height difference is a big factor. Walker is at an extreme disadvantage when faced with a big pass rush.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores