PN-G vs. LC-M

NDN79

500+ Posts
I look for this to be a statement game from the Indians to the rest of the district. Maybe a big win will silence some of those doubters on those "OTHER" message boards!

ndn1998

I have a nephew that plays defense and he said they havent even showed a quarter of their defensive sets. Says they have alot of stunts and blitzs yet to show. They should be pretty tough in that case. Against Texas city they were absolutely awesome.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This year's pass defense is the best in years IMO. You'd have to go back to the Jackie Havard years to find a ball hawking defense like this one.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Bears ready to face some Indians for second straight week

Published: September 23, 2009 11:54 am print this story

Bears ready to face some Indians for second straight week
Van Wade
The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Two teams with two new coaches, both moving in positive directions, will duke it out Friday at The Reservation as the District 20-4A season kicks off.

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears (2-1) and first-year coach Randy Crouch have certainly gained some momentum, winning their last two games over Bridge City (16-0) and Cleveland (39-36) in a thriller.

Port Neches-Groves (3-0), which had a bye last week, have impressive wins over Barbers Hill, Crosby and Texas City under the guidance of first-year coach Brandon Faircloth.

Crouch is proud of the Bears’ effort thus far this season as LC-M will be searching for its first 20-4A win since late in the 2006 campaign.

“That Cleveland win was super for the kids’ confidence,” said Crouch. “The kids hung in there and hung in their against a very good team and pulled it out in the end. We’re so proud of them, putting up a great fight for 48 minutes. We’ll need that against against PN-G.”

The Bears are averaging 263.3 yards a game while allowing 307.0, numbers which are head-and-shoulders above last year’s 147.3 and 437.6.

Quarterback Hunter Gonzalez has passed for 445 yards and three touchdowns, with 249 of it and all three TDs coming against Cleveland last week.

His favorite target has been 20-4A’s leading receiver in Zack Sonnier, who has 15 catches for 250 yards and three TDs. Sonnier had eight grabs for 181 yards and three scores against the Indians. Tailback Tevvin Jones adds a nice mix as well with 216 yards and two TDs on 35 carries.

The Indians will check in pumping out 315 yards a game on offense while allowing just 229 a game on defense.

PN-G has been extremely balanced offensively.

Quarterback Brennan Doty has passed for 453 yards and four TDs with receiver Spencer DeRon hauling in 10 catches for 234 yards and there TDs. Running back Caleb Harmon is 20-4A’s second leading rusher with 365 yards and four TDs on 62 totes.

‘PN-G has a nice little offense,” said Crouch. “They’re very balanced. They can play at different tempos. They make you play the whole field and can extend your defense. They’ll get in the no-huddle offense and go to work. They really make you prepare for a lot of different things. They’re going t be a tough challenge for us.”

The 20-4A schedule certainly benefits the Indians while it hampers the Bears.

The Bears also suit out about 36 players and 12 seniors. The Indians dress out over 60 and have 43 seniors.

PN-G will play its first five games at home this year and won’t go on the road for the first time until a road trip to Livingston Oct. 9.

Meanwhile, the Bears are in a stretch of four straight road games and will play five of their 20-4A games on the road.

“We’re in the toughest stretch of the season and we knew that when it all started,” said Crouch. “The kids, though, are eager to play. The atmosphere at PN-G is always special, and they’ll have a packed house. Coach Faircloth has done an excellent job in his first year. The thing about football is that the field is always 100 yards long no matter where you’re playing. I think it’s going to be an interesting game. The district, as a whole, is going to be very interesting.”
http://www.orangeleader.com/hssports/local_story_266125517.html

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
That is a very good article in the Orange Leader. No bias whatsoever and showing respect towards both teams.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
Thursday night results:

Freshman PNG 8 LCM 8

JV PNG 28 LCM 0

Way to go Indians ! ! !

I went to some of Thursday's varsity practice. ;D We are READY.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
NDNband69 said:
Thursday night results:

Freshman PNG 8 LCM 8

JV PNG 28 LCM 0

Way to go Indians ! ! !

I went to some of Thursday's varsity practice. ;D We are READY.

Lots of good news here. The Freshmen didn't lose Like Faircloth said, they are improving every week. JV returned to not allowing any points while putting many on the board. Finally, it's always good to hear about great practices!!

NDN79

500+ Posts
I heard the freshman team was at lcm goal line in last seconds, and lcm made a great stop to preserve the tie. Freshman team is really improving, and everyone is getting a chance to play.

Great job--keep up the good work!! :clap:

pngfan66

500+ Posts
The Freshman team was able to run the ball really well, but we had something like 3 interceptions which killed the drives. We should have won this game, but for the Freshmen team, I will take the tie over a loss !!! They looked so much more improved over the last 3 games.

NDN X

100+ Posts
Just an addition to the Port Neches wins over LCM....Port Neches 8th grade A team won against Mauriceville Tuesday night, 24-0! I believe 7th grade won as well, I just don't know the score. 8th grade B played last night against Orangefield. Lets keep the wins going tonight!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
I said earlier that it will be 34-17 PNG wins. LCM will score late in the 4th to make the score a little more respectable.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
The Freshman team was able to run the ball really well, but we had something like 3 interceptions which killed the drives. We should have won this game, but for the Freshmen team, I will take the tie over a loss !!! They looked so much more improved over the last 3 games.

Did the PAM transfer play?

15PNG

500+ Posts
Thank God for our twitter fellas. I 'have' to attend my stepson's game at Round Rock Stony Point. But I do stand and yell there by myself when the twitter updates come across. :woohoo: Wearing my purple jersey to work right now, sending the vibes from Round Rock!!!!!! Get after em Indians!!!!!!!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores