PN-G vs Nederland

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Another football season has flown by and here we are in week 10 of the regular season.

We are reminded of the great history that PN-G and Nederland have been a part of since the two schools fielded football teams in 1925.

And some of the great individuals that were part of it along the way including the namesake of the annual 'bowl' game between the two rivals.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
All-Time Numbers (through week 9)
NederlandPN-G
Seasons9595
Wins568604 (top 60 all-time in state)
Losses383352
Ties3533
District Championships2427
Playoff Record47-34-350-28 (#37 all-time in state)
State Championships13
10 Win Seasons1616
Winning Percentage (All-time)0.5940.628 (top 67 all-time in state)

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Should be a pretty close game... as most are. We can't let Nerdland stay in the game... they have a nasty habit of coming back and winning. We really need to put them away early.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Last team with the football wins! I think the two squads are evenly matched. Both were hoping for better or more consistent seasons. Both have been up and down. Both have yet to put a complete game together for 4Qs. PN-G needs to minimize mistakes, penalties, and TOs. Just play PN-G football and make some stops.

PN-G 31
nerdland 30

Usually a good game...here's to another good game with a PN-G win at the end. Here's to no injuries for either team.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not going to provide any bulletin board material that can be printed and hung in a locker room wall. But I will say that if the Indians offense cleans up a few blocking issues and avoid turnovers and limit penalties, they’ll be on the high, high end of the score.

(Indian running backs, watch some film of RJ protecting Sam Ehlinger. Don't just stand there and yell 'Stop' to a blitzing defensive player while he's running past you. Opposing defensive strategy is plenty of blitzing Bost. So keep your eyes open and hit the opponent when he's after your QB. That will go a long way towards more passing completions.)

Bigdog

The Dog
Close game as usual. Ned hasn’t been real consistent either but with this game it usually doesn’t matter much.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In this meeting every play counts as a missed or made opportunity. It’s true in every game, but Is magnified in this rivalry because of the emotional investment on each side. Every missed block, missed tackle, poor decision on a run, dropped pass, badly thrown pass, penalty or turnover can shift the tide of momentum. And every year one team or the other ends up just running out of time to counter with another score. Very few exceptions are a blowout win. (Says me, Captain Obvious) :)

Mejabo

It will likely be a close game just like it normally is. Both teams have been fairly inconsistent so it will likely come down to who has the most turnovers or mistakes. If Bost is on target and he gets time to throw the ball PNG should win.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
We've got to catch those balls that Bost gets in our hands. I've also noticed that, almost every year, we get some REALLY stupid Personal Foul penalties, at crucial times. That's gotta stop!!!

Should be a really close game. Hoping PNG wins it.. but then again... it IS MCM!

I just hope that the PNG crowd is spirited and LOWD!!!

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I can't think of a time in recent memory when this wasn't an outstanding game

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
We've got to catch those balls that Bost gets in our hands. I've also noticed that, almost every year, we get some REALLY stupid Personal Foul penalties, at crucial times. That's gotta stop!!!

Should be a really close game. Hoping PNG wins it.. but then again... it IS MCM!

I just hope that the PNG crowd is spirited and LOWD!!!

If Bost has a solid game against Nederland he'll move into the top 10 all-time in PN-G history of yards passed in a season.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Both PN-G and nerdland are in the playoffs. I think this game may decide seeding.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
are they both in playoffs are does this decide it

I don't recall how the district handles ties. In the past they've even flipped a coin. But below are some scenarios based on just records and head to head competition.

Current standings
Barbers Hill 6-0
Crosby 4-2
PN-G 4-2
Nederland 4-2

Vidor 3-3

As the district stands, Crosby holds second place based on head to head competition with a win over both Mid-County teams. Crosby is favored to win against Lee this week and odds are they stay in second place with a 5-2 record.

The outcome of the PNG-NED game would then decide 3rd and 4th place. With both teams holding a 4-2 record, obviously the winner will take 3rd place with a 5-2 record, and the loser 4th at 4-3.

But if Crosby loses to Baytown Lee the Cougars will drop to 3rd place (4-3) and the PNG-NED winner will finish with second best district record (5-2) while the MCM loser, with a 4-3 record, would be tied with Crosby at 4-3. Throw a Vidor win against Dayton in the mix and it's a log jam with PNG or Ned, Crosby and Vidor all at 4-3. The Vidor win over Crosby complicates things and the point differentials is probably the deciding factor.

A bit of mystery until the last whistle is blown. PNG or Nederland control 2nd place with a win. The loser will be in a mess.

Does anyone have the latest on how ties are handled?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan and Bigdog usually know the details. For me, I just want PN-G to win and then I know they have bragging rights over Ned for another year and the Indians are in the playoffs.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Why the heck is Neches River Wheelhouse supporting AM 560 and Nederland’s broadcast? Do they advertise on 92.5?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Why the heck is Neches River Wheelhouse supporting AM 560 and Nederland’s broadcast? Do they advertise on 92.5?

Yes, they do...I heard a few radio ads for NRW on 92.5. I think they support both PN-GISD and NISD. Lots of Mid-County folks make their way over to NRW. They're strong supporters of PN-G. I'm thankful for all of the supporters of PN-GISD, PN-G football, and the radio broadcast...and for www.pngindians.com. It would be difficult to get my PN-G fix without the web site.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores