PNG - College Football

N

NDNPARENT

PNG Proud said:
I'm glad that the colleges didn't look at 5'9" Emitt Smith that way

enough said! Became the all time rusher in NFL HISTORY! IT'S not physical size that matter it the size of the heaert! LOOK AT RUDY!!

badndn

500+ Posts
Exactly what I was saying NDNSRock.

You people are ridiculous sometimes with your purple tinted glasses. If you notice on every post about Caleb I prefeced that major colleges don't measure heart. Had Caleb been on a recruiting list he would probably get some looks at least. Bottom line is Caleb was a great RB for PNG this year and if stating a fact about how major D1 programs recruit and offer scholarships makes me less of an NDN or a "DOG" then maybe we are a more ficle group than I ever thought!!!

On the future scholarship front, I hope that with some of Coach Faircloths connections he is able to get our athletes more scholarship opportunities than what they have been seeing over the past few years. You have to start early in a kids career with the recruiting process to get him the better offers. Most D1 athletes are tagged as Sophomores or Juniors and get put on the recruiting lists and followed so that they build a reputation by the time they are Seniors as a player. The past regime did very little to help kids with this process.

indian20106

love caleb to death.. but some PN-G fans are to proud i guess. a small school is his best bet. josh cook weighed 220 ran a 4.6 forty at 6 foot 2. he ended his career at taylor university (NAIA) school. hemmings doesnt even play offense any more. and im redshirted. at a football camp my senior year at OSU the RB coach told my dad he'd love to have me but now the resources to find the best talent is just to great. im fast and tremendously strong but now they have the resources to find someone bigger and faster and stronger and quicker. basically saying. in our district calebs top ten fast. in the nation no way. his 4.6 isnt the next guys 4.4 4.3, he will do good in college football. but not likely at a D-1 school.

badndn

500+ Posts
PNG82 said:
PNG Proud said:
enough said! Became the all time rusher in NFL HISTORY! IT'S not physical size that matter it the size of the heaert! LOOK AT RUDY!!
Emmitt Rushed for over 1500 yards and 20 tds as a High School Freshman, putting him on the recruiting radar very early. He ended his HS career with almost 9,000 yards rushing.
Those were also different times, folks...Pre-Internet...Word of mouth was all they had. If caleb had put up Emmitt Smith numbers for four years at PNG, I promise you he would have gotten some D1 looks.

Great insight into the recruiting process Josh. Sorry folks, it is what it is. Major D1's are not going to risk on something that they can't measure like heart and determination these days. I am not a hater, just a realist. I really hope Caleb goes to LU. I would love to see him each weekend and think he would be an asset to LU.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I read this thread over the past 2 days and this morning I asked a college coach at The University of Houston ... if any kid wants to send in tapes, DVDs, letters, etc. and notify the Cougars about his/her intent to play college sports, then please do so. For football, any Indian wanting to put himself on the radar screen and send in tapes, DVDs, etc., then contact Coach Joe Alcoser (Dir. of High School Relations), Coach Larry Jackson (Director of Strength & Conditioning), Coach John Skladany (Defensive Coordin.), Coach Jason Phillips (WRs and Co-Offensive Coord.), or Coach Dana Holgorsen (QBs and Co-Offensive Coord.).

The number to call is (713) 743-9370. Or, contact them by e-mail:

jacose@central.uh.edu
ljackson@central.uh.edu
jskladan@central.uh.edu
jphilli8@central.uh.edu
dcholgor@central.uh.edu

Send in tapes ... let them know you are interested ... someone will contact you during the legal and appropriate time for college coaches to contact prospective student-athletes. If they hear from you and see some tape, then they will let you know if they are interested, or, they will send your tapes to other programs that might be interested in you. It never hurts to tell a program that you are interested. All they can do is say, "no thanks."

Good luck to all the Indians wanting to play in college.

badndn

500+ Posts
Ditto. Great Job 89NDN. Expossure early in the process is the key.

Remember Dravanti Johnson? He was touted as the best LB in Texas? Why? He was a good HS LB, but not great! But he was getting exposure in the recruiting process early in his HS career and he signed as a major recruit with UT. Not because of his numbers, but because he was 6'4" 240 lbs and ran a 4.6 40 at LB. He had the measurables, but if you ask me he wasn't half the football player that Harmon or Mosley were. What's he doing now? Standing around watching at UT.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
89indian is correct. My daughter plays softball and their travel coaches preach to them about the recruiting process. The athletes have to do the work in order to get seen. Emails, letters, videos are important. Attending camps is a big plus. Most camps, at least where softball is concerned, is merely a type of tryout. These college coaches don't know you exist unless you come from some big time program. The high school coaches can help (and should help) but ultimately it is up to the player.

Another note to remember; most of the college players will never play or even get drafted to the nfl. Choose a college that has the best fits your degree choice

Indian99

500+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
89indian is correct. My daughter plays softball and their travel coaches preach to them about the recruiting process. The athletes have to do the work in order to get seen. Emails, letters, videos are important. Attending camps is a big plus. Most camps, at least where softball is concerned, is merely a type of tryout. These college coaches don't know you exist unless you come from some big time program. The high school coaches can help (and should help) but ultimately it is up to the player.

Another note to remember; most of the college players will never play or even get drafted to the nfl. Choose a college that has the best fits your degree choice

Amen.

mcfstrainer

I usually don't post on messageboards because of my profession, but I truly feel I have to put this to rest. Through my training I have worked with Micah Mosley, Dravanti Johnson, Josh Wright, and Caleb Harmon (as well as many others). I love these kids like they are my own. There have been many times I have had to make Caleb slow down or stop in fear of him overtraining. We put over 20 lbs. of lean muscle mass on Caleb between last season and this season and our goal is to have him weighing over 200 lbs. by next summer. Caleb not only got bigger and stronger, but also much quicker and faster. I truly believe that with Caleb's work ethic and strong determination (not to mention his HUGE heart) and with some good exposure and strong support from the community and the ones who would like to see him continue to play in this area, that it is possible for him to play at a D1 school such as Lamar. I would like to invite any of you into my gym on any given afternoon to watch Caleb work with future athletes from our community and see for yourself that he is a true leader. Caleb is not only a great athlete and leader, but he has the ability to make others around him work harder to achieve their goals. If you could only experience the dedication that I and his coaches have see you would understand.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Harmon is the best all around, instinctive running back to come out of PN-G in many years. But you're right, someone has to make the big schools aware of his 2009 accomplishments to open doors.

Oldschool

PNG82 said:
PNG Proud said:

only because barry sanders left the league

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Oldschool said:
PNG82 said:
PNG Proud said:

only because barry sanders left the league

Actually, RUDY didn't do anything but stick to it.

VegasNDN

89NDN, that was a great post. Funny thing is I have known Jason Phillips since 1992 when he was playing behind Rison & Sanders in Atlanta. I also golf every week with a former Tulane and CFL player who was on a winning Grey Cup (Super Bowl in Canada) Team. I would be more than willing to help any young man that has the desire and talent, like Caleb, speak with the right people. However, I highly doubt that any of this will be necessary. Coach Faircloth should have more than enough contacts to put the right people in touch with Caleb and his parents. If not, send me an email and we can talk from there.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores