PNG vs Dayton

75NDNDB

Any thoughts from you guys? I remember the last time we met a few years back, we took a whoopin'. Twas a long and silent ride home from Dayton that night, so in my book, we owe em' one! We have to go in to the "Butch" with the fire and confidence we need to win this game, for 4 full quarters! I have faith that we'll do just that! I know the sea of purple will be LOOUUUDDDD! SCALP EM' INDIANS!!!!!! Broncos were made to be broken......

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
I like this Indian team swagger! Take charge and set the tempo Indians! Welcome Dayton To a payback clinic they won't forget.I will be screaming loud and proud! :shout:

newindianfan

I don't claim to be a coach but, it's time to use all of our tools that we have in our bag.

:cowboy: Round up them BRONCOS!!!!!

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I think PN-G should win this game but Dayton is a dangerous team to play. We will have to bring our A-game

HighChief2008

From what I've heard Dayton isn't the powerhouse that they were back in 07-08 when I played. Between losing their best playmakers and some of their coaching staff to better jobs they are still rebuilding. True or not we are the Indian Nation and are the ones with BF on our side.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
This will be a very tough game. The team will have to be focused, focused focused. They will have to execute and play their A+ game. Dayton seems to have a switch, either their on or off. I've watched alot of their video and they are beatable. Some of the 1-9 teams in their district put up 20+ points on them. They are fast like Ozen. Its a containment and secondary defensive game. Our D will have to step up and play harder and better than they did in District. BTW. Our D finished second in District with points allowed. Nederland was the number 1 team in Defense. We were a very very close second. I think there was only a 7 or 9 point difference. So our D has really come on as late. We also have the Districts 2nd leading rusher, number 1 passer, the top 3 receivers and the top 5 of 8 in district receiving. I think the team is in the right place on both D and O. They are beginning to peak at the right time. We have to come up with turn overs and score off of those. I look for the NDN's to win this one. We have to get on Dayton and stay on them all night and not let off the accelerator. Let's go boys, its time to give some payback and start a deep run into the playoffs !!!!

75NDNDB

pngfan66 said:
This will be a very tough game. The team will have to be focused, focused focused. They will have to execute and play their A+ game. Dayton seems to have a switch, either their on or off. I've watched alot of their video and they are beatable. Some of the 1-9 teams in their district put up 20+ points on them. They are fast like Ozen. Its a containment and secondary defensive game. Our D will have to step up and play harder and better than they did in District. BTW. Our D finished second in District with points allowed. Nederland was the number 1 team in Defense. We were a very very close second. I think there was only a 7 or 9 point difference. So our D has really come on as late. We also have the Districts 2nd leading rusher, number 1 passer, the top 3 receivers and the top 5 of 8 in district receiving. I think the team is in the right place on both D and O. They are beginning to peak at the right time. We have to come up with turn overs and score off of those. I look for the NDN's to win this one. We have to get on Dayton and stay on them all night and not let off the accelerator. Let's go boys, its time to give some payback and start a deep run into the playoffs !!!!
Well said 66. You are right on the money on this one. Allthough we have to take it one game at a time, I wont be satisfied with just this one. We have all the weapons and personell required for a war party! a-quo-'hi-yu! wich is cherokee for "I believe".

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
This should be a very close game. To me, the deciding factor may be special teams. The reason I say this is because I think field position will play a huge role in this game. Nederland dominated field position against us and Vidor, which were both games that went down to the wire. Miller needs to do a good job on the pooch punts when we are on Dayton's side of the field and Bertrand has shown he can boom the ball. I hope I am wrong, I would love to see a PNG blowout ;D but I think this is gonna be a barn burner. I know our players and coaches will be well prepared and fired up come Saturday night!

bark

1,000+ Posts
I agree it will be close. I always think we outcoach opponents but I am a BF fan.

4th Quarter - who has the _ _ _ _ '_ to dig deep and win.

The harder you work at it -the harder it is to quit!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
"Score when you got it, and keep the others from scoring when they got it." (A cheap attempt at a Bumism or Royalism.) :)

But seriously...

On offense:
Burn clock and score.... Sustaining long drives and scoring will put points on the board, and keep Dayton's speed off the field.

Avoid turnovers and score on every opportunity. Too often good drives stall and momentum is lost. The earlier they can get ahead the better to calm Miller's nerves and put the pressure on Dayton.

Get the ball into the hands of the play makers like Nelson, but spread it around enough so that Dayton can't focus on a couple of players

And above all else, the offensive line MUST blow their man off the ball, and sustain blocks. If they do that, it's all down hill.

Good news, Faircloth knows how to distribute the ball with the best of them and has coached his players well. The Indians have a well balanced attack this year.

On defense:
Continue to bend but not break too often. Don't give up too many long runs or miracle passes.
Be aggressive and take the ball away. If the Indians can stop a couple of Dayton drives with turnovers, the odds are highly in our favor.

Pretty basic formula almost to the point of cliche. But that works for all teams at every level. ;D

indianforever

100+ Posts
i really feel we have the best defense we have had in years...i believe we will make the stops when needed and it is going to be a win for PNG with a bigger margin than people think...PNG 34 Dayton 21

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
indianforever said:
i really feel we have the best defense we have had in years...i believe we will make the stops when needed and it is going to be a win for PNG with a bigger margin than people think...PNG 34 Dayton 21
Hate to disagree with you, but this year's defense isn't at the same level as our 2009 defense. They were the best defense we have had since 1999. I am not knocking this year's defense, they have definitely played well and have got better as the season has progressed. We have a solid group of them coming back next year, so hopefully we will build on this year's success.

pngdad8520

100+ Posts
ndnsrock44 said:
indianforever said:
Hate to disagree with you, but this year's defense isn't at the same level as our 2009 defense. They were the best defense we have had since 1999. I am not knocking this year's defense, they have definitely played well and have got better as the season has progressed. We have a solid group of them coming back next year, so hopefully we will build on this year's success.
I do not hate to disagree with you ! You can call it "dad-e ball" I really do not care! I see the heart that this D has this year ,This is the 2011 defense not the 1999, and they will do just fine! All the way to state! 44 I know you are a true fan ! Not calling you anything different !

pngfan66

500+ Posts
The two previous years defenses were a bit more aggressive IMO. The D this year is more technique than the previous ones. This year the D seems to operate more on a mass team, tackling basis. Not as aggressive as years past, but just seem more focused and they execute better. Maybe its because they have been in the system longer than the past ones. All I know is they get the job done and they are doing something right. They finished 2nd in district for the fewest points allowed. They almost topped Nederlands D. I say they are doing a great job and seem to know what to do and they all get to the ball. Keep up the good work boys ! Stay focused, execute and continue to make your statement. I know I am proud of all of you !

pngmom4

500+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
The two previous years defenses were a bit more aggressive IMO. The D this year is more technique than the previous ones. This year the D seems to operate more on a mass team, tackling basis. Not as aggressive as years past, but just seem more focused and they execute better. Maybe its because they have been in the system longer than the past ones. All I know is they get the job done and they are doing something right. They finished 2nd in district for the fewest points allowed. They almost topped Nederlands D. I say they are doing a great job and seem to know what to do and they all get to the ball. Keep up the good work boys ! Stay focused, execute and continue to make your statement. I know I am proud of all of you !

great post. GO D :clap: :clap: :clap:

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I hesitated to post the last one. I in no way would want my comments to be taken as a negative to this year's defensive players. They have done a great job, improved week to week and have played their hearts out. I agree this is the 2011 defense and I look forward to them making their mark in the playoffs.

shovelhead

100+ Posts
I thought the same thing ndnsrock, but didnt want to post it. 2009 D had Dunbar playing safety that kept a lot of teams in check. Dunbar may have been the best I've seen at PNG in the defensive backfield. That takes nothing away from this years defense. This years team has shown improvement weekly, with exellent individual and team play.The Indians have faced some very talented teams and handled the job well. Good luck to the Indians against Dayton. Scalp 'em!

pngmom4

500+ Posts
ndnsrock44 said:
I hesitated to post the last one. I in no way would want my comments to be taken as a negative to this year's defensive players. They have done a great job, improved week to week and have played their hearts out. I agree this is the 2011 defense and I look forward to them making their mark in the playoffs.

another great post. IMO, the 2009 D seemed to come out day 1 looking sharp. This group has grown into one of the best groups to watch. I personally liked the 2009 D, but at the same time I loved watching this team grow. So, with all that said, I think both D's are special in their own way.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
I agree with you. Our defense is awesome right now. If we'd played good defense pre-season, we'd of beat Nederland for sure!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Dave Campbells Projection of the game.

Port Neches-Groves vs. Dayton, 7 p.m. Saturday, Beaumont's Thomas Center
Dayton is getting fine play out of spark plug QB Andre Herrera (not to be confused with Leander QB Andres Barerra) and WR Gamal Fowler. PN-G is more of a crapshoot — you never know what you're going to get. I think we get the Indians' good side Saturday.
Travis' pick: PN-G 34, Dayton 31

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores