Port Arthur Memorial @ Port Neches - Groves 8/26: Pre-Game and Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
First half was a disaster. Second half was a big improvement and a likely indicator of how they can play.
Crippen was not accurate tonight. Both Prosperie and Guarnere dropped a few balls including TD passes. Adams had a TD drop too but was amazing tonight. Reed had some good runs in the second half but I'm really intrigued by #33 Nguyen playing more at RB. Offensive line had it's moments but did not play up to expectations and the poor snaps cost the team points and drives tonight.

Defense? Very bright moments but struggled to maintain the edge at times and there is still a hole at middle linebacker position. #26 looks like he can help there. Coverage seemed confused at times but that will improve with being more familiar with the new defensive schemes. Tackling is much improved and the players are willing to hit this year. Memorial was just not a good team to go up against in game 1.

The Indians looked like a team that had 2 or 3 quarters of scrimmages before the opener. They will improve a lot.

Coach Joseph and staff will shape this up. It’s not easy implementing a new system in a new environment.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
New defensive coordinator is McDaniels who was very successful at Katy as their DC for years. Coach Joseph has a defensive background as well. Coaches don’t play the game. The defensive players were outmanned at times tonight. And at other times they played very well.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
If what the announcers said is true, shame on the fans for walking out early.
Sadly it was true! Definite MASS exodus after halftime…ugh! However, it’s been a noticeable trend the last few years unfortunately…even if the score is close or we’re winning/losing by a lot. It was pretty darn bad tonight though! But, we still got the BEST Friday Night Lights atmosphere HANDS DOWN…during the 1st half anyway

bark

1,000+ Posts
Looked to me as though we were just discombobulated from all groups. Coaches Offense defense and special teams. Burn the game film and regroup
Yes, fans did bail out at 1/2 sad the way sportsmanship and respect have fallen by the wayside now days.
Palace next week gonna be tuff - speed size and strength - the only way to counter is a smart, mistake free game by PNG

indians87

Sadly it was true! Definite MASS exodus after halftime…ugh! However, it’s been a noticeable trend the last few years unfortunately…even if the score is close or we’re winning/losing by a lot. It was pretty darn bad tonight though! But, we still got the BEST Friday Night Lights atmosphere HANDS DOWN…during the 1st half anyway
It’s the band and Indianette’s parents that all leave after halftime. They used to all be true Indian fans and stay for the whole game. Now as soon as their kid is done marching they’re out. I don’t think they realize that Friday nights is about the game and if it wasn’t for the game. Their kid would not have any where to march.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The game was brutal to watch. ONG was running out of wheels to fall off! EVERYTHING looked bad. I know that PAM is good and fast, and they caused some of the issues, but geeze, we couldn't even score an extra point? I hope we improve soon or we'll be 0-4 before long.
The School Board are looking like complete idiots right now (which they are).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Still had over 200 yards rushing
Only points matter but even misfiring the Indians still gained 385 yards to PA’s 443. Both teams were playing backups later in the game. Take back those miscues and the score is much closer. PNG defense consistently rattled some opposing helmets which is a huge improvement.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It’s the band and Indianette’s parents that all leave after halftime. They used to all be true Indian fans and stay for the whole game. Now as soon as their kid is done marching they’re out. I don’t think they realize that Friday nights is about the game and if it wasn’t for the game. Their kid would not have any where to march.
Very disrespectful of the players and school in general. Support your team until the end.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Well, I don’t think it’s fair to blame Band/Indianette parents for the mass exodus. I’m sure some leave after halftime but the MAJORITY do stay because there’s ALWAYS a huge crowd of Band/Indianette parents at the band hall and gym after the game…I know this FIRST HAND…lol! I think it’s mostly other relatives/friends of Band/Indianette kids leaving and sadly, the culture of “fair weather” fans has grown tremendously at PNG over the years…UGH!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the game again. Memorial played one of the dirtiest/most unsportsmanlike games I've seen in a while. A lot of penalties should have been called for personal fouls as well as targeting. A shame that coaches allow that type of play. It's going to hurt them big time when those penalties are called.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the game again. Memorial played one of the dirtiest/most unsportsmanlike games I've seen in a while. A lot of penalties should have been called for personal fouls as well as targeting. A shame that coaches allow that type of play. It's going to hurt them big time when those penalties are called.
Replying to the laughing emoji response: you’re seriously leaving that kind of reply on a community message board that not that long ago had a player in the hospital for months because of a brain injury? Not to mention the WO-S player that suffered an even more serious injury, or the multitude of other players at every level that have been crippled from that type of play. And you think it’s funny when I point out hits targeted, after the play, at another players head that aren’t called or reprimanded? Or some kid having his head slammed into the turf after the play? That has nothing to do with football. There is no place in the sport for that type of play. No responsible adult or coach would condone it or think it’s humorous.

Mr. Buddy Garrity

#TitanNation #TitanTempo Twitter: @MrBuddyGarrity
Replying to the laughing emoji response: you’re seriously leaving that kind of reply on a community message board that not that long ago had a player in the hospital for months because of a brain injury? Not to mention the WO-S player that suffered an even more serious injury, or the multitude of other players at every level that have been crippled from that type of play. And you think it’s funny when I point out hits targeted, after the play, at another players head that aren’t called or reprimanded? Or some kid having his head slammed into the turf after the play? That has nothing to do with football. There is no place in the sport for that type of play. No responsible adult or coach would condone it or think it’s humorous.
Dude none of that was going on what you posted earlier. I showed your post to other diehard Png fans I personally know and they agreed with me. If you're sad we won and yall suffered the worse opening season loss in school history just say that.

On to Nederland...........

Last edited:

snowbird

We struggled out of the gate last year against a weak 4a Jasper team, It took a few games for QB and receivers to get in sink. Next 2 games are winnable, I think you will see a totally different team in all phases. Cut out all the mental mistakes and we will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores