Port Neches-Groves vs Angelton @ Mont Belvieu Friday at 730 Pm

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PN-G Proud...thanks for the info...terrible news about #5...he has been a play maker all season...very sorry to hear about his injury...next man up!

Go Indians. Peace.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I know. Anthony is a great kid too. So sad for him (and his family) that everything they have all worked so hard for (playoffs) can't be fully enjoyed. I really hate that for him. And you don't replace #5! He was a natural.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
png66 said:
What time will the gates open? Driving in from Dallas tomorrow.

My best guess would be 6:00 with a 7:30 start time.

I know that the drill team and band are leaving the HS around 4:45 or so. If you get there by 6:00, I would think you would be guaranteed a pretty good seat.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
I would recommend getting there between 6-6:30. I think there will be a good crowd of alumni from the Houston and surrounding areas that are planning to attend this game ;D

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Looks like on alot of the guru sites that PNG is the underdog again. Time to prove the so called expert gurus wrong!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Well, great game and exciting year Indians! Angleton was WAY better (and bigger) than I expected. But, in true Indian fashion, you guys played your hearts out until the last play.
SO Proud to be an Indian. Hold your head high fellas! You are much loved!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
Well, great game and exciting year Indians! Angleton was WAY better (and bigger) than I expected. But, in true Indian fashion, you guys played your hearts out until the last play.
SO Proud to be an Indian. Hold your head high fellas! You are much loved!

+1

Angleton controlled the line of scrimmage and the stable of running backs they had were quick. The kid playing FB for Angleton was a bull. The TB had some wheels once he hit the corner and got into the secondary. Angleton's student body right, student body left and student body up the middle was good...very good. Turnovers hurt us, but the Angleton toss sweep to the right side really hurt us. They were just bigger, stronger and better. The size Angleton had on the OL just controlled the game. Nothing wrong with coming up short to a better team. And, you're right, the Indians played hard...they kept coming and battling...they represented PN-G well. And, a tip of the cap to the PN-G Purple Pride Band, Indianettes, and Indian Spirit. They all represented PN-G very well...I'm proud to be a PN-G Indian...PN-GISD still has great kids doing things the right way...I saw evidence of that tonight.

See you next season. Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on a great season.

To the terrific group of seniors that have represented PN-G so well for the past 3-4 years, thank you. It is tough to see names like Morse, Giblin, Sullivan, Cropper, Rembert, Anniboli, Meche play their last game as Indians. You set great standards for the 2016 team and future Indians to follow.

Last night, today, and maybe for a while will be a low point. But consider that it was just a single game and loss, and that at every level there is only one winner in this game on any given night. The loss last night can't erase what you did as Port Neches-Groves Indians.

And to those seniors, and the entire team, thank you for the committed effort that you made all season. The pride you brought to community and alumnus will last regardless of the last score. We saw the effort and commitment that you made all year including last night. You fought and never backed down. You just ended up on the short end of the score against a big, physical and fast team. You left it all on the field, but you were not conquered. Life is like that.

Building on the foundation that the seniors built, 2016 will be another good year. To the many juniors who started this season or played significant amounts of time, work hard over the summer, build up your endurance, quickness, strength and toughness, and come back next season with a vengeance. You are the 2016 leaders of the proud PN-G football experience, and we support you 100%. :thumbsup:

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan...you have steadily said for years that championship teams have a dominant OL and when it comes down to taking control of a playoff game where just about every team is pretty good or above average, a team must win at the line of scrimmage. After watching the game last night, I agree. Regardless if a team spreads it out and tries to find one on one match-ups with the passing game or if a team bunches up with 6-inch splits and runs the wing/slot-T, you have to win the line of scrimmage. Very impressed last night with Angleton's OL.

Modify: Not a knock on PN-G's kids playing OL and DL. Very proud of our Indians in the trenches. They competed and played their hearts out. We moved the ball on the ground and in the air. We made some stops, too, on defense. Just commenting on Angleton's size and strength in the trenches. Thanks to the PN-G Indians who played hard all season. I enjoyed watching you and I had my share of high blood pressure for 2015 because of the good games...Clear Lake, WO-S, Chapel Hill, Nederland, and the Dayton game (wow)...and last night's game vs. Angleton.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G is not big on the d-line, 230,208,198... But you're right, they played with heart and never backed down, and even made a lot of great plays.

Anyone who has ever played football knows that just having a large body in front of you is just an obstacle to get around. That situation can be won. But when that opposing player can move well, is aggressive and getting after you, and much bigger, you're going to struggle. Even if you're the meanest dude this side of the Trinity, you're not going to dominate.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
After watching some video of this game, my general take on the game is that PN-G's offense didn't have much trouble with Angleton's defense. Scoring only 30 points was more of a function of the turnovers, misfires with execution, too many blocks missed, and a few dropped passes at inopportune times. And being so far behind early. The offensive line and receivers need to work on holding their blocks longer. And not passing up a defender that is unblocked when you know the ball carrier is coming behind you.

Defensively it was a different story. Angleton was paving a walled lane for their backs to run down, and when #25 found an opening he was gone. There were times when he should have been tackled, but the open field tackling needs to improve. You can't just reach out and pull a big runner down. And the defensive down lineman could have done a better job of protecting the linebackers.

#47 Morris at defensive end for PN-G is a beast. He does a good job of taking out the offensive lineman when they're pulling for a block and he was able to stand his ground or throw off bigger blockers. He's going to be really good next year. #22 LeJuene and #23 Hughes are also special players, especially for their size, and will be forces next year.

Angleton's offensive line was just too dominant in the trenches. Regardless, just a few plays here and there with better execution or tackling and it could have been a much closer game. Of course Angleton has a good team, and had a lot to do with throwing a wrench in the PN-G machine.

Improved tackling and becoming more physical will help achieve more success next season against teams like Angleton.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
If that feedback sounds harsh, the same points and probably much more would apply to most teams.
That's just mentioning what stood out that would have helped beat Angleton.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
If that feedback sounds harsh, the same points and probably much more would apply to most teams.
That's just mentioning what stood out that would have helped beat Angleton.

Not harsh at all. We were getting blown off the ball at the point of attack. The line of scrimmage was literally moving 5 yards down the field. Hard to win a ball game like that.

Offensively, I thought we had a good game plan. But yes, hard to win a game when you continuously turn the ball over like we did. It happens though. Credit to Angleton for forcing those turnovers.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I also watched the film of the game and came to basically the same conclusions. Offensively, we moved the ball pretty much at will against Angleton. Take away the bad snap on the first drive along with the 4 turnovers and we could have easily scored 50+ points. So we could have outscored them.

That said, I think the better team won. We would have had to play a perfect game to beat them. It's almost impossible to defeat a team that dominates the offensive line of scrimmage the way Angleton did. Our D-line was working their tails off, but only made a handful of tackles. And the linebackers were often tied up and unable to get clean shots at their runners. That really exposed the secondary's open field tackling deficiencies. The DBs pass coverage skills are generally very good, but they often take bad angles and don't wrap up on running plays (hopefully I'm just stating the obvious and not being overly critical here). But let's give Angleton credit where credit is due. Their O-line blocking was awesome indeed.

On the positive side, Faircloth is obviously an offensive genius. We can score a lot of points on anyone which makes us competitive regardless of the competition. Also, the defense has been improving significantly over the past couple of years. Hopefully next year will bring the physicality and improved tackling that others have mentioned in this thread.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores