Purple vs. White Game

kfdmcoop

100+ Posts
I was very impressed with PN-G! This new staff has buildt a Foundation and are very organized for such a short time being there. The Multiple set Offense they run will be hard for defenses to stop with the 2 great QB's they have. WR Core is very talented as well with Spencer DeRon and Company. Very few mistakes as well in this game, very well coached. I'm sticking with what i said when Faircloth got the job, PN-G will make the Playoffs!!!!!!!!!

NDNband69

500+ Posts
A nice crowd on hand for the Purple White game.
DSCF6138.jpg

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
From the Port Arthur news........

White team edges Purple, 28-21
Regardless, Indians win spring game

PORT NECHES – When Blake Brooks was asked to identify the biggest Indians’ football change since last season, the Port Neches-Groves outside linebacker concisely replied, “Everything.”

Pretty much “everything” was on display under the lights Friday night on the new Reservation. And if you weren’t pretty much amazed by this PN-G spring football game, you pretty much need to schedule an eye or a head exam.

Just three days removed from baseball season, Indians junior pass receiver Spencer DeRon leaped over the back of two defenders in the end zone to catch a 22-yard touchdown pass from Brennan Doty with 41.8 seconds to play to lift the White team over the Purple team 28-21.

Regardless of the outcome, DeRon grabbed five passes for 105 yards and three touchdowns and served notice that he belonged among the area’s premier receivers.

Regardless of the outcome, Brandon Faircloth and his energetic staff have really transformed this program during a vibrant eight-week stretch of off-season followed by spring practice.

It’s impossible to dispute that PN-G has changed its mindset enormously with an efficient head coach who has captured the undivided attention of its 2009 football candidates. Those candidates concluded spring practice fully confident on Friday night that they could seize the District 20-4A football championship in Faircloth’s very first year.

“The last three weeks have been tough,” returning junior running back Caleb Harmon said. “There’s been a lot of learning but everything’s been fun. Tonight was our reward for it.

“Attitude has been the biggest thing – from having a positive attitude both in the classroom and on the field. That attitude has raised us from way down here to higher than we’ve ever been here.”

Harmon ran six times for 40 yards for the victorious white team. Junior runner Cody Ross dashed for 149 yards on 16 carries for the purple side. The margin of victory probably hinged on DeRon and battery mate Doty, who completed 19 of 26 with one interception and four touchdowns for the white team.

Purple team quarterback Matt Desmond produced for his unit both as a passer and a runner. Desmond hit 6 of 14 passes with one interception for 62 yards, while running 15 times for 64 yards and three running touchdowns.

Those numbers mean a lot less to Faircloth than the effort and overall performance which he saw.

“I’m very pleased with our performance,” the new Indians’ chief said. “The kids did a great job under the lights. We’re finding some players and we’ve built a great foundation. But this is just a beginning. We have to continue to work hard during the summer and have a great two-a-days (which starts Aug. 10).”

Those hundreds of PN-G fans enjoyed the view with the band striking up ‘Cherokee’ near mid-season form. And the Indians triumphed on their home turf for the first time, no matter what.

“We’ve really gotten a lot better as a team,” linebacker Brooks reflected on the spring work. “It’s a complete change for the good around here.”

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNGFOOTBALL052209.jpg

PN-G gets big crowd for spring football scrimmage
By RYAN S. CLARK
May, 22, 2009

The purple and white-clad fans talked about who will play at tight end while the Port Neches-Groves marching band played "Cherokee."

Teenagers hung out with friends on a cool Friday night as the Indian mascot danced. This went on while older folks relived memories.

And to think it's only spring.

Nearly 4,000 or so people showed up to The Reservation to check out what adjustments PN-G football coach Brandon Faircloth and his staff made to a team that won three games last season.

"We had heard anything from a 1,000 people to 5,000 people (would show up)," said PN-G assistant coach JoeDale Cary. "At Aliedo there are people who care about the team and the community, but things here at PN-G are a little bit different."

Minutes before the varsity started warming up, a few raindrops sent a couple hundred people under PN-G's barely year-old aluminum stands. That is where Anne Hanks and Amanda Delcambre could be found as they talked about how much this means to the community.

Delcambre, who is the PN-G athletics secretary, said she fielded hundreds of phone calls over the last few weeks about the spring game.

"People were asking what time the game was and things like that," she said. "So you could say that there was a lot of excitement leading up this."

About a few hundred feet away from her was Tony Croshet, the vice-president of the PN-G booster club. Croshet said the booster club had sold 120 PN-G spring football T-shirts in a matter of minutes.

He wasn't kidding. He barely had time to talk as people handed him money in exchange for shirts.

"This is the first time in about 50 or so years that PN-G has had a booster club," he said. "And with budgets being spread thin, we're out here to help out all the sports with helping things like pads or balls for the soccer team."

The excitement not only sold T-shirts, but it even brought non-PN-G fans to the game.

"Yeah, I go to Nederland," said Janna Bartz. "We have some friends who are in the band. But really I could care less about the game. Now if it was Nederland playing, yeah, I'd care."

But even Bartz had fun as the PN-G band played at the stadium for the first time in months. Thousands of PN-G fans stood during the playing of "Cherokee," PN-G's signature song, as if this was Week 6.

"Actually, it was real flattering when it came to how we got involved," band director Alex Wells said about the band's involvement with the scrimmage. "Coach Faircloth called and said he wanted us to play so that way it would feel like a real game."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/pn-g_gets_big_crowd_for_spring_football_scrimmage_05-22-2009.html

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
Man !!! I'm impressed.. what a turnaround from last year!!!

Sounds like this game was Week 8 of the regular season...MCM'09 should be a GREAT one.

:woohoo:

Peace

YD

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
yankeedawg said:
Man !!! I'm impressed.. what a turnaround from last year!!!

Sounds like this game was Week 8 of the regular season...MCM'09 should be a GREAT one.

:woohoo:

Peace

YD

This team is fundamentally far ahead of last year's team at even the conclusion of the season. There were zero fumbles. The only turn overs were two interceptions. The o-line held their blocks for a far longer amount of time. I could go on and on.

I'm not down playing what last year's team did. Its just that the coaching preparation in a few short weeks seems to have trumped a full season.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
This is the instant replay of the last touchdown on the video board.
One of many amazing sights at last nights game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6zggsZlxU

NDNband69

500+ Posts
I was at the top row center. The band sounded nice. In fact some around us commented how great the sound was from that group.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Everyone sat on the home side and cheered for anything good that happened.

For those that didn't get a roster, there are 51 names on the JV roster and 98 names on the varsity roster that was handed out last night. That is the largest I can recall seeing.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
Everyone sat on the home side and cheered for anything good that happened.For those that didn't get a roster, there are 51 names on the JV roster and 98 names on the varsity roster that was handed out last night. That is the largest I can recall seeing.

From what I've read/heard there musta been a whole lotta cheerin goin on :woohoo:

98?!?! Holy Cow!!! that's great!!!

Good to see such renewed interest in the game. If I remember right, several folks commented last year that interest was waning... Seems like it's a whole new ballgame (so to speak) with Coach Faircloth. Good Luck.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Cherokee seemed to be a never-ending stream played back to back at times!

Im working on the video. Between a slower Internet connection than I'm used to and having to pair two computers, It's taking a while. I should have the first of three YouTube (low resolution) videos up in the next thirty minutes or so. YouTube regulations forced me to split the video up. I plan to put higher resolution video up, but that is taking a lot of processor power and will take even longer to upload.

bandkid

Staff member
pngfan93 said:
Cherokee seemed to be a never-ending stream played back to back at times!

Im working on the video. Between a slower Internet connection than I'm used to and having to pair two computers, It's taking a while. I should have the first of three YouTube (low resolution) videos up in the next thirty minutes or so. YouTube regulations forced me to split the video up. I plan to put higher resolution video up, but that is taking a lot of processor power and will take even longer to upload.

We played it in succession several times.

NDNband69 said:
I was at the top row center. The band sounded nice. In fact some around us commented how great the sound was from that group.

ndnbandgraduate said:
And to think there were only about 50 of them.
They did a nice job.

Thanks, guys. Everyone was excited about the prospect of a new athletics program, and I think it showed, but that's coming from a guy who was in the middle of the band playing, so maybe I'm just a little biased. ;D

badndn

500+ Posts
As I said before, the staff needs to find a way to get Desmond the ball some. Maybe rotate him in now and again to run the draw (Wildcat). He is shifty. Doty will have a very godd year throwing the ball with his arm and Deron and Segura. The one thing that really stood out to me was that the WRs didn't drop passes, they even made some great catches. Very few mistakes. No FUMBLES!

Anyone have the numbers? I know Doty was 19-26 but for how many yards?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores