Purple-White Spring Game Friday

G-P dude

My first post here just wanted to say hi. The spring game should be starting now and i bet PNG wins :hi:

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
I was a little confused...Bertrand punting? Wish we would have seen a little more of Miller. Overall...can't wait till the season starts.....this didn't last long enough to tide us over.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
We've had RB's punt before. It makes perfect sense as the other team has no clue as to when he may take off and run with it. Didn't Doty punt for us? I can't remember.

HighChief2008

Back in 07-08 hemmings had punted for us so it's not the first time png has used a rb for the punter. I believe Nederland also uses this little trick.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
G-P dude said:
My first post here just wanted to say hi. The spring game should be starting now and i bet PNG wins :hi:

Hello and welcome and we will see you guys soon enough.

NDNband69

500+ Posts
From the PA News.

May 28, 2011
Miller answers PN-G's spring test

Daucy Crizer The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — Travis Miller has some big shoes to fill in replacing Brennan Doty as the Port Neches-Groves starting quarterback, but if Friday night’s Purple and White spring game at The Reservation is any indication, then the Indian faithful should be pleasantly surprised this fall.

The spring game format had the offensive players dressed in white uniforms with the defense in purple. In the first two quarters, the first string offense competed against the first string defense with the second teamers going at each other in alternating possessions. The first two quarters were contested in normal game-like conditions. The second half featured more of the second and third line players with a running clock.

“I like that we played with great technique and great fundamentals,” said PN-G coach Brandon Faircloth. “The kids competed and played hard. At PN-G you don’t have to get them ready to play, they’re ready to play every time they come out here. I’m excited for our seniors. It was a great night and a lot of fun. They had a good time in their last spring practice. I’m excited.”

Miller, who played just the first two quarters, completed 17-of-20 passes for 151 yards. He completed his first six passes before over shooting Logan Chipman on a go route. He followed by completing his next seven passes.

“Travis looked great,” said PN-G coach Brandon Faircloth on his assessment of Miller’s play. “I thought he did really well. He read his keys and did a good job of managing the game. He stayed in the pocket and threw it around. He’ll be a lot more of a running threat in the fall. We didn’t want him running the ball tonight. He’s a wonderful runner and a great athlete, and we’ll do a good job of accentuating that in the fall.”

The receiving trio of Chipman, Jayce Nelson and Grant Guidry were all very productive for the Indians. Chipman caught six passes from Miller for 49 yards, Guidry had five grabs for 50 yards and Nelson hauled in four for a team-best 55 yards.

“I played all right, but there are some mistakes I made that I’ll work hard to fix for the fall,” said Miller of his performance. “I need to stay with my reads and stick to them. We didn’t go to fancy with the offense tonight and the defense was covering pretty good, which meant we checked down a lot.”

It took the first string offense until its third possession to finally put some points on the scoreboard. The drive started with an 18-yard completion from Miller to Nelson. Spencer Wommack followed with a 10-yard run and Miller hit Nelson for a 15-yard completion to the 16.

Chipman caught a 9-yard pass to the 7. Wommack, lining up at quarterback in the Wildcat formation, picked up four yards on a keeper up the middle. Guidry scored on a 3-yard end around. Angel Valencia, who was added to the roster this week after playing soccer for the Indians, added the extra point.

The first string added another touchdown before the end of the first half. Antoine Arvie started the drive with a 23-yard run. A defensive holding penalty on third-and-nine kept the drive alive. Miller hit Guidry for 10 yards and Chipman for 17 yards on consecutive plays to put the ball at the 20. Miller had an 11-yard scramble to the 9. Jeremiah Rose scored on a 4-yard reverse to cap off the drive.

With three offensive lineman out for the scrimmage who are expected to start in the fall, the running game took a little bit of a back seat to the passing game. Chase Bertrand, who rushed for over 1,800 yards last season, carried just three times for 13 yards. That was by design and, according to Faircloth, was one more carry for him than last year’s spring game.

“He carried the ball 324 times last season so we gave him a rest tonight,” said Faircloth of Bertrand’s night. “We’ll put the saddle back on him Aug. 28.”

Bertrand did have a busy night punting the ball. One of several players competing for the starting job, Bertrand had a 36.2 average on six punts. That could make him the early favorite to claim the job, according to Faircloth.

After carrying such an offense load last season, Bertrand may be getting some help this fall as the Indians have a deep stable of runners that will keep the opposing defenses guessing. Wommack carried the ball five times for 28 yards, Arvie had 39 yards on five totes and Dre Johnson rushed 11 times for 32 yards. That doesn’t include Tyler LeCour, who sat out the spring game with an injury.

“We’ve got Tyler LeCour, we’ve got Spencer Wommack, we’ve got Chase Bertrand and we’ve got Travis Miller our quarterback, which really gives us four backs in the game at all times,” said Faircloth of his potential running game in the fall. “It’s a great asset for a play caller to have four guys that have all carried the ball in a games coming back. We’re excited about all four of those guys.”

NDNband69

500+ Posts
A portion from the Beaumont Enterprise.

If any Port Neches-Groves fans were worried about the quarterback position after losing Brennan Doty to graduation, they can breathe a little easier after Friday night's spring football game.

Travis Miller, who will be a senior next season and the new starting quarterback, put up numbers that resembled the district offensive MVP Doty's, going 17 for 20 for 158 yards. Miller only played in the first half.

"(Miller) looked great," said Port Neches-Groves head coach Brandon Faircloth, entering his third season "He made his keys, stayed in the pocket and threw it around."

Miller didn't get to display what could be his best asset, running the football, because the coaches didn't want him getting hurt in the game.

"It's pretty different - I'm used to running it when I have to," Miller said.

"We'll do a better job of accentuating (Miller's) running ability in the fall," Faircloth said.

The game was divided up between offense, the white team and the defense, the purple team.

The white team scored two touchdowns in the first half and won 14-0.

Read the complete story in Saturday's print edition of the Beaumont Enterprise.

G-P dude

Sounds like the new QB is a scrabler out of the pocket when need be. Bretrand sure will be a load this year and looks like he has some help in the backfield. Looks like Yall are pretty loaded this year. Hope we can slow yall down in Rosenberg. :duel:

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I would have to add to this that the D looked pretty darn good if you ask me. I noticed several times that Miller had to tuck and run cause his receivers were covered well. Also the D line, only having 3 D linemen did put some pressure on the QB. I think all in all the team as a whole are looking very good.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores