Regional Playoff: PNG vs Texas High

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Usedto… How do the matchups look to you ?
Speed in the secondary if Brown shows up he cuts your pass release time in half. He seems to pinch in might need at least a TE chip etc was getting double teamed early in the season and tended to quit if that happened a lot. #7 LB is the most impressive looking defensive player every player on D is super fast. To my eye the offensive schemes look identical to ours. Again they will put 6’5 Brown in at WR who if you sized him up first day of practice you’d probably put him at WR instead of DE I said earlier PNG style WR Rogers but “Reese” (can’t remember right now if that’s his first or last name lol I can look later) is also a PNG style WR - less stars but depth at the medium players WR and secondary. Haven’t seen Mennie TE for a while I believe injured early in season. Big strong guy. Put PA memorial athletes in PNG schemes and you come out with THS

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Coaches need to know that!
I’m basing this off of games early in the season he would do the “hands on hips” with palms out which means one of two things to me it’s a signal of “it’s casual” (I took it as “I’m too good to put out effort if I’m not going to get the sack”) and he would run up meet the double team and become a spectator. Again that was early in the season and I was paying more attention to him since he’s the star They definitely “underachieve” in my opinion for their size and talent level. But put in the real variable the TEXARKANA variable lol (TXK is the strangest place you’ll ever go lol) their attitude is everything. Now certain players especially Henry QB and Stewart RB are solid. And of course the defense is deep and have some stable solid guys but Brown can be gotten to IMO sometimes
Some games look very chaotic for a 12-0 team. They must have gotten it together for Texas City. They stopped TC on several fourth downs. Basically scored one TD per quarter and kicked a FG as time was nearly over

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
And just think last year he had the #3 weak side DE in the nation on the other side of him. Which he reaped the benefits of having Clayton Smith take all the attention away as a JR which might have been discouraging early to find himself the center of attention didn’t handle it well early IMO

Torino

500+ Posts
Yes - they’ve played a playoff game in Shreveport before at Independence Stadium.
When I lived in he Panhandle in the 90s 2 schools--Childress, I think, and then another team from the top of the Panhandle--played in Oklahoma. Made national news.

Torino

500+ Posts
I’m basing this off of games early in the season he would do the “hands on hips” with palms out which means one of two things to me it’s a signal of “it’s casual” (I took it as “I’m too good to put out effort if I’m not going to get the sack”) and he would run up meet the double team and become a spectator. Again that was early in the season and I was paying more attention to him since he’s the star They definitely “underachieve” in my opinion for their size and talent level. But put in the real variable the TEXARKANA variable lol (TXK is the strangest place you’ll ever go lol) their attitude is everything. Now certain players especially Henry QB and Stewart RB are solid. And of course the defense is deep and have some stable solid guys but Brown can be gotten to IMO sometimes
Some games look very chaotic for a 12-0 team. They must have gotten it together for Texas City. They stopped TC on several fourth downs. Basically scored one TD per quarter and kicked a FG as time was nearly over
The Texarkana variable. 14-58 vs, Garland in 1963, 16-20 in 1964, both in bi-district. 1964 was a last minute drive by GHS.. .I was a 7th grade student and listened to the 1964 game on 570 AM WFAA radio from Dallas. That game was a big deal in the Dallas area. Hard to envision how HS football has lost its importance to the masses.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Texarkana variable. 14-58 vs, Garland in 1963, 16-20 in 1964, both in bi-district. 1964 was a last minute drive by GHS.. .I was a 7th grade student and listened to the 1964 game on 570 AM WFAA radio from Dallas. That game was a big deal in the Dallas area. Hard to envision how HS football has lost its importance to the masses.
Great stories sir.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Watching the video, Texas High has disruptive speed on defense. #7 will demand attention. PN-G has seen fast defenses this season. See Jasper, Beaumont United, Tomball, Crosby, and Texas City. No penalties or turnovers and the Indians should be in the game. Get a few stops on defense and take advantage of a few breaks and the W is there for the taking. If the Indians can run the ball, lookout. Round 4 is in sight. Go Indians.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Don’t get me wrong Football has never left Texarkana. All four high schools have state championships in the 2000s. Pleasant Grove two (three if not for Whittington from Cuero) Two for Liberty Eylau (Red Sox 3rd baseman Will Middlebrook at QB and 49er RB LaMichael James) (2006 and ¿2002?) (might have been 1999) Texas High 2002 (one of the all time best offensive teams in HS history with Scott Suratt at OC) and Arkansas High used to be a perennial power in Arkansas not so much now.
My main point is their attitude matters a lot as to how they show up.

Last edited:

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Ooops forgot Featherson the 121st rated safety in the nation lol. I’ve counted 5 THREE star players (Brown got one 4 star rating) and that doesn’t count McHenry or Mennie who I can’t find a rating for

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores