Round table meeting on fox 4 at 9pm Thursday

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNPARENT said:
it has everything to do with coach, football, stadium, spending millions of dollars , and cutting the education, building to have a superb football stadium, coach . seems like all you guys think that is important is FOOTBALL! not worry about your child health with the schools leaking, molds, old testbooks, compacted classrooms. cutting funds to the new techlogy for the new middle schools. Coaches getting 100k or more while teachers are underpaid and they are the one that teach your child an education!

If you can show me one bit of proof that the original bond that was approved has been modified to take money away from the school repairs and move it to the stadium I will drop the matter. Teachers are underpaid, that is a fact. That is not just a PNGISD problem, and no teacher will take a paycut to accommodate the new coach. You see the salaries like that at most big schools.

NONS81

akifan94 said:
NDNPARENT said:
it has everything to do with coach, football, stadium, spending millions of dollars , and cutting the education, building to have a superb football stadium, coach . seems like all you guys think that is important is FOOTBALL! not worry about your child health with the schools leaking, molds, old testbooks, compacted classrooms. cutting funds to the new techlogy for the new middle schools. Coaches getting 100k or more while teachers are underpaid and they are the one that teach your child an education!

If you can show me one bit of proof that the original bond that was approved has been modified to take money away from the school repairs and move it to the stadium I will drop the matter. Teachers are underpaid, that is a fact. That is not just a PNGISD problem, and no teacher will take a paycut to accommodate the new coach. You see the salaries like that at most big schools.

Not necessarily taken away but items (tools for education - white boards, computers, etc..) were either taken off the list or down graded. Per Mighty, materials for roof repairs were used because it was the "cheapest" and now a water tight roof leaks worse than it did before. Things like that...

As far as the stadium, MB asked for a new track, that is it!!!! Well, others and I don't know who others are, decided to expand on that buy adding all the modifications to the stadium, because they didn't think a bond would pass without it. This is where some ill feelings come in, because others feel that we have other issues that are more important than a new stadium.

This is strictly my observation of past discussions. I am just making this summary - not stirring the pot.

It is ashame I have to clarify that I am just making a summary....

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNPARENT said:

Not necessarily taken away but items (tools for education - white boards, computers, etc..) were either taken off the list or down graded. Per Mighty, materials for roof repairs were used because it was the "cheapest" and now a water tight roof leaks worse than it did before. Things like that...

As far as the stadium, MB asked for a new track, that is it!!!! Well, others and I don't know who others are, decided to expand on that buy adding all the modifications to the stadium, because they didn't think a bond would pass without it. This is where some ill feelings come in, because others feel that we have other issues that are more important than a new stadium.

This is strictly my observation of past discussions. I am just making this summary - not stirring the pot.

I think it is pretty well documented that a stadium upgrade was needed and was not done as a luxury. Engineering and ADA issues are well known. Also, it is a fact the new field will SAVE money by lowering maintenance costs.

NONS81

akifan94 said:
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNPARENT said:

I think it is pretty well documented that a stadium upgrade was needed and was not done as a luxury. Engineering and ADA issues are well known. Also, it is a fact the new field will SAVE money by lowering maintenance costs.

How will it save money on maintenance? I know it doesn't have to be mowed, but it still has to be watered. The underlayment has to be kept cool or it will buckle and blister in our tropical climate - they were told this - but did it anyway. It also has to be steamed cleaned or staff will run rampid, so to me, running the steam cleaner is the same as running a lawn mower - the steam cleaner had to be purchased - we already had the lawn mower.....

It is a done deal, I know, but we had the best grass field in the area!!! and our kids didn't get staff infections from playing on it.

Look, it really doesn't matter now - this is just my point of view and I was just saying some of what was proposed didn't have to be done, it was voted on and passed and is water under the bridge.

CardiacKids 92

100+ Posts
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNPARENT said:

How will it save money on maintenance? I know it doesn't have to be mowed, but it still has to be watered. The underlayment has to be kept cool or it will buckle and blister in our tropical climate - they were told this - but did it anyway. It also has to be steamed cleaned or staff will run rampid, so to me, running the steam cleaner is the same as running a lawn mower - the steam cleaner had to be purchased - we already had the lawn mower.....

It is a done deal, I know, but we had the best grass field in the area!!! and our kids didn't get staff infections from playing on it.

Look, it really doesn't matter now - this is just my point of view and I was just saying some of what was proposed didn't have to be done, it was voted on and passed and is water under the bridge.

staff : a member of a staff ....I'm confused is this new field turf supposed to cause staff members of the PNGISD to get infections?

Oh you must have been talking about staphylococcus ahhh staph. Do you think the turf causes the staph infections?

Drug-resistant bacterial infections on a college football team traced to body shaving and artificial turf burns

Dec 1, 2004
Athletic Turf News

Last fall, ten football players out of 100 on a Connecticut college team contracted Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. Two of the players had to be hospitalized. The outbreak was reported in the November 15 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, a journal of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

MRSA is a type of drug-resistant bacteria that infects the skin, heart or central nervous system of hospitalized patients. In recent years, though, a more virulent strain has emerged that can infect healthy people. Staphylococcus outbreaks among athletes are becoming increasingly common, due to the players' frequent person-to-person contact.

Elizabeth M. Begier of the Centers for Disease Control reported on the retrospective study conducted from August 6, 2003 (the start of football camp) until October 1, 2003.

The researchers found that cornerbacks and wide receivers, who frequently come into direct contact with other players, had the most MRSA cases. They discovered that in some cases, players contracted the infection on areas of the body that had been covered by their uniforms. However, in each case, the player had practiced costmetic body shaving, creating micro-abrasians that became infected when the athletes shared a whirlpool. Athletes that practiced body shaving had a 43% risk of MRSA infection.

The researchers also found that players who sustained turf burns on the artificial turf field were seven times more like to come down with an MRSA infection.

Turf burns may not be entirely preventable, but athletes should take note when they happen, said Dr. Begier.

"When they have these large abrasions during game play they should stop and have them cleaned and covered to reduce the risk of contracting MRSA or transmitting it to other players," she said.

It should be noted that the artificial turf by itself was not responsible for infection. The turf burns created abrasions which, when they were left uncovered, allowed the MRSA pathogen to be passed from one player to another.

The outbreak was stemmed, in part, by the proper disinfection of whirlpools and the installation of antibacterial soap dispensers to the athletes' showers. In addition, the researchers recommended that athletes discontinue the practice of body shaving.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The stadium was long, long overdue. And $10M is not a bad price tag for what they got done. It will benefit another generation or two of students, athletes and fans.

NONS81

CardiacKids 92 said:
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNS81 said:
akifan94 said:
NDNPARENT said:

staff : a member of a staff ....I'm confused is this new field turf supposed to cause staff members of the PNGISD to get infections?

Oh you must have been talking about staphylococcus ahhh staph. Do you think the turf causes the staph infections?

Drug-resistant bacterial infections on a college football team traced to body shaving and artificial turf burns

Dec 1, 2004
Athletic Turf News

Last fall, ten football players out of 100 on a Connecticut college team contracted Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. Two of the players had to be hospitalized. The outbreak was reported in the November 15 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases, a journal of the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

MRSA is a type of drug-resistant bacteria that infects the skin, heart or central nervous system of hospitalized patients. In recent years, though, a more virulent strain has emerged that can infect healthy people. Staphylococcus outbreaks among athletes are becoming increasingly common, due to the players' frequent person-to-person contact.

Elizabeth M. Begier of the Centers for Disease Control reported on the retrospective study conducted from August 6, 2003 (the start of football camp) until October 1, 2003.

The researchers found that cornerbacks and wide receivers, who frequently come into direct contact with other players, had the most MRSA cases. They discovered that in some cases, players contracted the infection on areas of the body that had been covered by their uniforms. However, in each case, the player had practiced costmetic body shaving, creating micro-abrasians that became infected when the athletes shared a whirlpool. Athletes that practiced body shaving had a 43% risk of MRSA infection.

The researchers also found that players who sustained turf burns on the artificial turf field were seven times more like to come down with an MRSA infection.

Turf burns may not be entirely preventable, but athletes should take note when they happen, said Dr. Begier.

"When they have these large abrasions during game play they should stop and have them cleaned and covered to reduce the risk of contracting MRSA or transmitting it to other players," she said.

It should be noted that the artificial turf by itself was not responsible for infection. The turf burns created abrasions which, when they were left uncovered, allowed the MRSA pathogen to be passed from one player to another.

The outbreak was stemmed, in part, by the proper disinfection of whirlpools and the installation of antibacterial soap dispensers to the athletes' showers. In addition, the researchers recommended that athletes discontinue the practice of body shaving.

Staff infections, yes. The turf being new to our area, was determined to be the cause of
the infections in some of our kids (not my determinination - their doctors) - whether they were shaving their bodies or not I do not know - if they were, it was not in places that were visable, in other words, there was still hair on their arms and legs...

The turf does have to be cleaned every 2 weeks.

Next time, could you be a little more condecending?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
The infection would be spelled staph.

For future posts, please reference the new hijacking posts thread at the top of the Football forum page.

NONS81

IndianFan said:
The stadium was long, long overdue. And $10M is not a bad price tag for what they got done. It will benefit another generation or two of students, athletes and fans.

Did you get my pm?

NONS81

IndianFan said:

I got a message on my personal email that I had a pm - go to pm's no message - just want to let you know that you may have a problem with the messaging system of this board. I have received some since then with no problem.

bandkid

Staff member
OLGabe said:
I tried PNG faithful I tried LOL. I was severely out-numbered last night but I tried to keep us from getting bashed too hard.
I hope this all works out in the end and people will get off our backs.

I agree with Justafan. You knew the FOI process and you knew that none of the parties involved had violated the law. Im glad to see that some of our sports commentators dont jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.

By the way, I liked the purple shirt. It didnt matter who said what, you still showed that purple pride that we're so famous for.

I know this is a little far down in the thread, but I felt I had to say it.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
NDNS81 said:
IndianFan said:

I got a message on my personal email that I had a pm - go to pm's no message - just want to let you know that you may have a problem with the messaging system of this board. I have received some since then with no problem.

No problems with the system. Do you have multiple user ids? If so it's easy to get mixed up with pm notices. You can turn off the email notice if it becomes too confusing.

NONS81

IndianFan said:
NDNS81 said:
IndianFan said:

No problems with the system. Do you have multiple user ids? If so it's easy to get mixed up with pm notices. You can turn off the email notice if it becomes too confusing.

Sorry, had to leave for a while - no, finally realized that it came from setxsports instead of here. My mistake, I meant to tell you before I left.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores