Rule Change suggestion

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
So I’ve been thinking about two rule changes that I believe should be implemented universally. (All levels) if anyone feels it’s a great idea and wants to submit it to the UiL please feel free.
First. On a punt/kick/interception return (to start) punt return block in the back flag thrown PLAY BLOWN DEAD IMMEDIATELY. I mean why have we been continuing with the play letting defenders get blown up for no reason. The play is coming back anyway. Many times have I seen injuries on the 50 when back at the 15 the flag’s laying there. No reason for that. No ones going to decline the penalty I’ve NEVER seen that. Ever. So that’s the first idea.
SECOND when the ball carrier gets “tackled” but completely lands on the defender and just happens to not touch a knee etc to the ground I believe the runner should be DOWN - I know by the letter of the law the runner isn’t technically on the ground but I think if the runner would hit the ground (usually butt) except for the defender being there the runner should be down. This one is less important than the first suggestion IMO but I think these type plays put defenders in an unfair position of having to decide whether the runner is indeed down or not. During the UT UGa game there was one of those and from my judgment if the second defender had hit the runner (assuming he WASNT down) he would have been flagged for a late hit. So second off season Jonesing for football post. Haha

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
To clarify. During the UT game iF the runner HAD been down (touched an elbow) on the exact same play and the second defender continued to hit (properly tackle) the runner he’d have been flagged

crittergitter

Usedtocould said:
So I’ve been thinking about two rule changes that I believe should be implemented universally. (All levels) if anyone feels it’s a great idea and wants to submit it to the UiL please feel free.
First. On a punt/kick/interception return (to start) punt return block in the back flag thrown PLAY BLOWN DEAD IMMEDIATELY. I mean why have we been continuing with the play letting defenders get blown up for no reason. The play is coming back anyway. Many times have I seen injuries on the 50 when back at the 15 the flag’s laying there. No reason for that. No ones going to decline the penalty I’ve NEVER seen that. Ever. So that’s the first idea.
SECOND when the ball carrier gets “tackled” but completely lands on the defender and just happens to not touch a knee etc to the ground I believe the runner should be DOWN - I know by the letter of the law the runner isn’t technically on the ground but I think if the runner would hit the ground (usually butt) except for the defender being there the runner should be down. This one is less important than the first suggestion IMO but I think these type plays put defenders in an unfair position of having to decide whether the runner is indeed down or not. During the UT UGa game there was one of those and from my judgment if the second defender had hit the runner (assuming he WASNT down) he would have been flagged for a late hit. So second off season Jonesing for football post. Haha

first one will never change. you are taking away advantage to the defenders of being able to get a turnover during the play if you call it dead. seen it many times where there is a turnover and they decline the penalty and keep the ball.

second one nothing needs to change. if the officials would call the play dead due to forward progress being stopped like they should there would be no issues.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
crittergitter said:
Usedtocould said:

first one will never change. you are taking away advantage to the defenders of being able to get a turnover during the play if you call it dead. seen it many times where there is a turnover and they decline the penalty and keep the ball.

second one nothing needs to change. if the officials would call the play dead due to forward progress being stopped like they should there would be no issues.
We ll agree to disagree on the first one. The threat of a turnover lost is far outweighed by the potential of losing a player for the season or to concussion (blind side blocks) second one is my opinion but I could see some disagreement. I’d wager that if and when the first rule change is submitted to the UIL they will adopt it unanimously. And then will be adopted on all levels even the NFL. Time will tell.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Usedtocould said:
crittergitter said:
Usedtocould said:

We ll agree to disagree on the first one. The threat of a turnover lost is far outweighed by the potential of losing a player for the season or to concussion (blind side blocks) second one is my opinion but I could see some disagreement. I’d wager that if and when the first rule change is submitted to the UIL they will adopt it unanimously. And then will be adopted on all levels even the NFL. Time will tell.
BUUUUTTT. this brings up one of my favorite football topics. Coaching outside the box (rare) UNTIL the time they choose to hange this rule. You coach the coverage team to have a signal. (The flag is thrown its unmistakable BIB) now tacking the runner is not the goal. The only goal becomes stripping the ball. Two outcomes Strip the ball (ball on ground) or allow him to go into the end zone (force fumble or Nothing. Keep head on a swivel and don’t allow yourself to get blind sided. If you get near the ball carrier. Grab the ball hold him up and move forward until we see the ball hit the ground. If you’re near get ready to recover it. Period.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'll go even further and predict that kickoffs will become a thing of the past.

What more dangerous play is there than a full speed collision on kickoff coverage.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan said:
I'll go even further and predict that kickoffs will become a thing of the past.

What more dangerous play is there than a full speed collision on kickoff coverage.

Just having the Fair Catch on kickoffs has been a good move.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores