Sad to Say Goodbye

vocalindian

As the voice for Indian Football on the Radio and Internet for 20 years, it's with a sadness that I tell the friends and fans of Indian Football farewell. The broadcast team as you know it will have only two more games to call.

The last Arnold indian, my youngest son, is graduating this year and I've decided it would be best if I passed the microphone on. As a matter of fact, the entire crew will be retiring. For the last two seasons, I've travelled 600 miles a week from our new home in Burnet county to announce the games. It was a struggle, but I did it because I really love the game and the Indian football program. It certainly wasn't for the money since most of the years of the broadcast was a non profit endeavor to raise money for scholarships and none of us took a salary.

The broadcast will continue as BASF has committed to carry on as the underwriter for the broadcast and it will continue to be a charity event. There will just be a new voice on the microphone. We don't know who, but I am sure they will find someone who is talented and committed to PNG football.

I'd like to thank all of the folks that made the broadcast so much fun. It was great hearing from Indians all around the world on Friday nights. My favorites were the enlisted that wrote to us from bases in the middle east and even an aircraft carrier. And what about all the great players I got to see! What a thrill to watch records being broken and young men stepping up to challenges week after week! But most of all, I need to thank the team that stood by me in the booth. My brother Robert helped me lug equipment up many a set of stands to some of the smallest press boxes in the known world! And longtime friend, Paul Brown. He stood in there and commented on the game and gave me a chance to take a breather or get my commercials in order. I am so thankful for both these guys!

Whoever gets to broadcast next year will have the worlds greatest high school football fans listening to them, hands down! We set records every year for the number of folks that listen to the broadcast. This year is no exception. There were 2200 listeners for the Silsbee game and 2500 for the home opener! And that's just on the internet and doesn't count the phone apps or radio listeners. The Indian fans have been so great to broadcast to, but there are always people we don't please. I'm sure someone somewhere will jump for joy when they read that we're leaving, lol. We don't mind the critiques though and I always try to answer each one of them. The one thing we always got flack for was not saying the score enough. No matter how many times I gave the score, someone would always tell me we needed to give it more often.

So, to all the Indians out there, thanks for letting us be a part of the reservation and Indian experience. I will cherish it always! For Robert Arnold, Paul Brown and the entire broadcast crew, I'm Joe Arnold. Goodnight, folks!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Joe,

Thanks for the long time commitment to Indian football, and the sacrifices you made over the years to bring PNG football to all of us.

You deserve much more credit than that. I'm not sure that anyone else can be found with your professional broadcasting background. All three of you did a great job.

Thanks to BASF's continued support. I hope the community makes it obvious how important it is having PNG football on the radio.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
Thanks for the great job all these years! Ya'll are up there with the old MNF crew, Howard cosell and all. haha Good luck in your future endevors and God blesss!

p.s Don't forget to call Billy Joe every now and then for some great BBQ

bandkid

Staff member
You don't realize how much the broadcast means until it's your lifeline for live updates on PN-G football. Thanks to you, Paul and Robert for all the shoutouts, play-by-play analysis and years of faithful broadcasting. Whoever takes over has big shoes to fill.

90NDN

500+ Posts
You will be very missed...for those of us that aren't living close to the Reservation anymore and can't make it to games, I have always looked forward to your call of the game.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Thankyou guys you will be missed. Id like to thank you for the extreme effort you have put forth and understand why you will be stepping down. God bless Ill be listening tobnight!!!!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Thanks s much Joe, Paul & Robert. We really appreciate your commitment to PNG. Please, don't be a stranger, on here, or in town! :clap:

NDN fan 4ever

100+ Posts
An end of an era - The three of you will definately be missed. I appreciate all of your time and effort that you put into the broadcast. You all madie it special for all Indians!!! Will be listening Friday Night!!!

Once again, Thank You to Joe, Paul and Robert!!!

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I saw Joe yesterday and didn't think to ask him if he knew. I'm just hoping we have a station!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores