School Population

90NDN

500+ Posts
I was reading on a local board up here in DFW (5atexasfootball.com - they have a 4a forum) that the population of schools were due in on the Oct 15th and was curious if anyone knew what we came in at? That said, I also saw that they were projecting us to be in D2 this yr with a first round matchup vs Dayton...obviously this is just a projection. I would not have thought that we would be behind Vidor in total kids..I assumed Central would be bigger than us.

I also heard that schools like Baytown Lee and Sterling would also be moving down to 4A next year. I wonder what that will do to the 5A district. I remember back when we used to be in their district many years ago.

badndn

500+ Posts
Vidor had us by 17 students. PNG was actually 4th in enrollment numbers behind Central, Nederland and Vidor in that order.

Can't see us playing Dayton. Dayton will be D2, but they will also be the top seed in D2 out of 19-4A and barring any late season fall off we should also be the top seed in D2 out of 20-4A. Top seeds don't face each other in the first round.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I thought that Dayton lost to Crosby? Aren't they in the same District or has Crosby had some other losses within that district? I didn't count Nederland since they aren't going to the playoffs. That said, how close are we to the magic # of 2084 which means 5A?

90NDN

500+ Posts
Here was the projections for our Region:

Region 3

Lehman vs WIllis
Crosby vs Lumberton
Sharpstown vs Washington
El Campo vs Santa Fe

Brenham vs Manor
Port Neches-Groves vs Dayton
Jones vs Yates
Angelton vs Terry

They have Lumberton which would be the #2 going up against #1 in that district which would be Crosby. I like our chances in this region...the only major threat that I see is Angelton. Am I overlooking anyone here?

pngfan66

500+ Posts
There will be a much clearer picture of the playoffs and who is going and who is going to play who after this Friday night. The projections will change. Some of the 4th spot contenders may not even be decided until the last game in district play.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
90NDN said:
I thought that Dayton lost to Crosby? Aren't they in the same District or has Crosby had some other losses within that district? I didn't count Nederland since they aren't going to the playoffs. That said, how close are we to the magic # of 2084 which means 5A?

The high school count has been declining over the years and is now ~1,420. PN-G will never hit 2,084 students. I'd be looking at the 3A numbers instead.

akifan94

500+ Posts
90NDN said:
Here was the projections for our Region:

Region 3

Lehman vs WIllis
Crosby vs Lumberton
Sharpstown vs Washington
El Campo vs Santa Fe

Brenham vs Manor
Port Neches-Groves vs Dayton
Jones vs Yates
Angelton vs Terry

They have Lumberton which would be the #2 going up against #1 in that district which would be Crosby. I like our chances in this region...the only major threat that I see is Angelton. Am I overlooking anyone here?

We will not play Dayton in the first round unless a magical chain of events take place. We have about a 95% chance of playing Barbers Hill in the first round.

bandkid

Staff member
PN-G still has a good ways to go before being a 3A school, and each year the freshman class is slightly bigger than the previous. Our graduating class last year had about 340 kids whereas this year the graduating class is running at about 365 or 370 and the junior class has about 390 kids.

I think we're going to see slight growth over the next few years, but overall we'll stay right in the center of the 4A conference.

bandkid said:
PN-G still has a good ways to go before being a 3A school, and each year the freshman class is slightly bigger than the previous. Our graduating class last year had about 340 kids whereas this year the graduating class is running at about 365 or 370 and the junior class has about 390 kids.

I think we're going to see slight growth over the next few years, but overall we'll stay right in the center of the 4A conference.

Our this year graduating class total at end of last school year was 324...I've heard this year, it's somewhere around 330.

Back in my days....we had 10-12th grade at the highschool. There were right at 500 kids each graduating year 77-80. Which made us a 5A school...how much has changed in past 30 years !!!

bandkid

Staff member
PurplePrideBandRulez said:
bandkid said:

Our this year graduating class total at end of last school year was 324...I've heard this year, it's somewhere around 330.

Back in my days....we had 10-12th grade at the highschool. There were right at 500 kids each graduating year 77-80. Which made us a 5A school...how much has changed in past 30 years !!!

Really? If I remember correctly, they announced that there were 339 graduates at the ceremony last year, and I thought I heard one of the counselors saying that there were 30 or so more in this year's graduating class, but I could be wrong. My memory's not perfect.

Indian99

500+ Posts
I think we had right at 400 my graduating year (2000) and right around 1,650 or so students total, so the count has definitely dropped since then.

badndn

500+ Posts
90NDN said:
Crosby and GCM should be D1 with Crosby #1 seed and GCM #2
Central and Vidor should be D1 with Central #1 seed and Vidor #2
Central vs GCM
Vidor vs Crosby

Dayton and BH should be D2 with Dayton #1 seed and BH #2
PNG and ??? should be D2 with PNG #1 seed and ??? #2
PNG vs BH
??? vs Dayton

PNG1992

Port Neches, TEXAS
90NDN said:

read this:

http://www.boards.pngindians.com/index.php/topic,1199.0.html

and PNG isnt close to the 5A number, I wouldnt worry about that.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
EX79NDN said:
The year I graduated we had 576 in our graduating class!!! O0 :woot:

The 60s and 70s were tremendous years of growth for the district and two communities. All the refineries had huge work forces, and the district was booming as families moved in for the great quality of education and environment. Beginning in the early 80s, the employment scene began to change, the population began aging, and enrollment began dropping. It also doesn't help that Port Neches and Groves are landlocked.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores