STAND UP FOR CHEROKEE

sittingbull

Something that rubs me the wrong way...When at the Fire-up peprally and at last years football games I noticed the G-grew members holding signs that said "Stand up for Cherokee" written on them. Now, I am all about showing spirit and getting the crowd pumped up, but I think that holding the signs right in front of the people in wheelchairs may not be the best thing to be doing. Maybe those in the know can have the signs changed to something a little more politcally correct?? ie. "Show your spirit" or "Let's get ROWDY" or soemthing to that effect. Just venting...any boby else notice???

NDN79

500+ Posts
I do not think we need any signs to remind us to STAND UP for cherokee. People not standing the last few years has been a reflection of their feelings of frustration over how the program was being run. It has not been to disrespect the athletes,school, or any of our outstanding traditions at PN-G! I think you will see a complete change now that the Brandon Faircloth era is beginning. GOOD LUCK INDIANS!

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
sittingbull said:
Something that rubs me the wrong way...When at the Fire-up peprally and at last years football games I noticed the G-grew members holding signs that said "Stand up for Cherokee" written on them. Now, I am all about showing spirit and getting the crowd pumped up, but I think that holding the signs right in front of the people in wheelchairs may not be the best thing to be doing. Maybe those in the know can have the signs changed to something a little more politcally correct?? ie. "Show your spirit" or "Let's get ROWDY" or soemthing to that effect. Just venting...any boby else notice???

This point has been discussed time and time again on this website. The sign is in no way intended to be derrogatory towards those in wheel chairs. Everyone is free to participate in any way he/she chooses. The signs are intended to instill in newer generations of Indian fans one of the traditions that has made PN-G what it is today. I personally believe standing for Cherokee is a sign of respect for all of those that have worn the purple and white before us, those that are on the wearing the colors now, and those that are to follow in the future.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
There should never be a need to remind Indian fans to stand for Cherokee but particularly after last year I know why the signs were made. A lot of our "fans" last year did not stand for Cherokee and attendance was low particularly at the Ozen game on Halloween night. Having said that, I feel as though the signs aren't needed this year and may look bad to someone visiting our games and cause them to think we have to tell our fans what to do.

ndnmojo14

I really think the sign issue is not a big deal. No disrespect to anyone, but it seems like someone always has to find something to gripe about. Who cares if they hold a sign that says stand up? If people want to stand they will and they don't they won't. The G-crew is kids at the school trying to get people involved the best they know how. Give them a break. Again, not trying to be rude, just gets annoying when someone is always griping about minor issues that don't really mean anything.

chief

They can leave the signs at home. If people hasn't figured out to stand for cherokee by now then they probably never will.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Maybe more people would stand for Cherokee if they could hear when it begins..........
I really don't think (IMHO) that the wheelchair bound fans take offense to that. They stand proud in the only way they can. Having signs isn't any big thing to me. They are as big a fan as anyone else in my opinion.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
squaw said:
Maybe more people would stand for Cherokee if they could hear when it begins..........
I really don't think (IMHO) that the wheelchair bound fans take offense to that. They stand proud in the only way they can. Having signs isn't any big thing to me. They are as big a fan as anyone else in my opinion.

Agreed, there needs to be a louder drum beat at the beginning to let everyone know its starting.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I totally agree with this!! The signature of Cherokee has always been the drum intro...I mean if you heard nothing else...you heard that! It just sounds weak now, I think I could deal with a little slower tempo if they would just get that fierce drum intro back...puh-lease!!

As far standing for Cherokee...to me it's habit...like standing for The National Anthem and I have instilled that in my children...my 5 y/o is usually on his feet before me...like someone else said...it is a sign of respect for those kids playing hard on and off the field and anyone that has worn the purple n white! Like Nike says...just do it!!

Justafan said:
squaw said:

Agreed, there needs to be a louder drum beat at the beginning to let everyone know its starting.

91ndn

why is the band not as loud...i graduated in 91 and it seemed like the band was ALOT louder...i also agree about the drums at the beginning....

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
91ndn said:
why is the band not as loud...i graduated in 91 and it seemed like the band was ALOT louder...i also agree about the drums at the beginning....

I graduated in 91 as well and was in the band. One thing I can say is that we had ALOT bigger band with a bigger percussion and brass section and that is the main reason, but I know the current band director has focused a lot on the quality of the sound instead of the volume, and that is not a bad thing, except where Cherokee is concerned. I really think there is a way to have both, but unless band membership increases, it will never be quite as loud as back then.

15PNG

500+ Posts
I sat right next to the band at the scrimmage. I'm glad it's not just me. Cherokee is SEVERELY lacking the volume and aggressiveness it is know for. I watched the drummers and it looks as though they are barely tapping them. I agree with a previous poster....BANG the HECK out of them for that song at least. Search on the 1984 band playing cherokee on youtube. It is BLASTING! I used to be able to hear it at my house on Friday nights as a kid. I can't hear it sitting next to them now :-[

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores