Super Team?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Does the PA News still select an annual Super Team for football? I have not seen anything published online.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Now that Bob West has retired and the PA News downsized to a middle school paper, I doubt it. Circulation of the PA News must be next to nothing.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that’s the end of a long tradition. Really a big change from the good old days of journalism. The Port Arthur News had multiple sports writers for decades with quality writing and coverage.

I know the one guy remaining can only do so much plus they might have him covering other topics too. Now we’re lucky to see any article about sports.

Plus it’s about a 3 day a week paper now.

I miss the days when PA was a great city. Also miss the tradition and history of all the PA high schools. Bishop Byrne, Lincoln, TJ, SFA…

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I understand why PAISD consolidated schools, but I wish they would have kept TJ, Lincoln, and SFA. All three schools had seasons where they made deep playoff runs in football, Lincoln was a powerhouse in boys' basketball and a threat to win a state championship every year, Lincoln was a statewide juggernaut in boys and girls track, and TJ and SFA usually fielded strong baseball teams. The PA News had multiple writers covering TJ, Lincoln, SFA, PN-G, and Nederland. Front page scoreboards on Saturday mornings, game summaries, and BOX SCORES (Yardsticks) with reliable stats. During the week, you had stories about coaches, players, and upcoming opponents. You could read weekly stories on kids at Lincoln, TJ, and SFA. You had opportunities to see the stats that SFA, Lincoln, TJ, PN-G, and Ned were piling up. Estes Sporting Goods sponsored weekly summaries. You could go to Estes on Gulfway Drive and buy a PN-G #20 (Ethridge) jersey...or maroon and gold #11 (Dodge)...or SFA jersey for Brian McZeal...#15? or was he #5? #24 purple and gold jersey for Little Joe Washington.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
As a young kid I got my purple with white number #24 jersey at Estes. Jeff ‘The Jet’ Bergeron was my favorite player. Also had white cleats for those front and back yard football games!

I agree on the schools. I always enjoyed playing Lincoln and TJ. Each squad represented their schools with pride. I had nothing but respect for every player faced. And none of them growled and barked like a dog during the game like a certain other group. That was always good for a big laugh. ;)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A lot more kids were able to play sports with multiple schools. And some proud history and traditions from each school were capped. Overall it was a net less for all schools involved. Same for Beaumont schools.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In prior years it was called the GOLDEN TRIANGLE SUPER 22 team. 1972 was the first year for that tradition. Here's that first incredible team. The top shows the all-district selections followed by the Super 22 team selections.

1642450961010.png

Looks like 2019 may have been the last season for the Super Team. It was the 48th year of that great feature.

bandkid

Staff member
I think it actually died when IC Murrell left for Arkansas. IC was a great editor that did a lot to bring that paper back from the brink it was on when I was in high school. The quality of the material is much stronger now, though less prolific.

What's happening with the Port Arthur News now is no different than what's happened with other area papers, and other news media in general. The Orange Leader is down to a twice-a-week circulation. The Mid-County Chronicle's altogether gone. KOGT shut down at the end of last month. KFDM bought out KBTV and merged their operations into its own, though they're still broadcasting on both channels. And as much as I hate what the Beaumont Enterprise has turned into, it was startling to find out they've given up delivery drivers and deliver their papers through the mail now.

On the bright side, I think there's an opportunity for the high school journalism classes to step in. High school papers in suburban Austin don't just cover school-related stories, they cover a lot of local stories the Statesman would never pick up. PN-G's got a powerhouse print and broadcast journalism department these days led by Mike Tobias, who used to work for the Beaumont Enterprise, and Greg Picazo, who used to anchor for KFDM and KBMT. The social media content they're publishing is outstanding. If they could overhaul the PowWow into a weekly paper with student journalists covering PN-G community issues on top of PN-GISD stories, I have no doubt the locals would get behind it, and I bet they'd be willing to pay for copies.

Would be weird to have an all-Indian Super Team, though. :)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The internet killed the local newspaper in my opinion...not to mention all the social media which is free.
No doubt. There are many benefits of ‘technology’ but those come with a price. Is it really progress? I believe it oftentimes is, but we lose some valuable things and possibilities along the way. Things like freedoms, jobs, etc.

VegasNDN

In prior years it was called the GOLDEN TRIANGLE SUPER 22 team. 1972 was the first year for that tradition. Here's that first incredible team. The top shows the all-district selections followed by the Super 22 team selections.

View attachment 810

Looks like 2019 may have been the last season for the Super Team. It was the 48th year of that great feature.

Love the O-Line average weight at a nasty 191lbs...

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores