Tepee for new Indian Stadium

squaw

1,000+ Posts
NDNPARENT said:
YEAH.. GET THE PERMISSION FORM THE UTILITY COMPANY AND LET THE ART CLASS AT THE HIGH SCHOLL DO THE PAINTING OF THE POLES
I LOVE that idea!!! Wonder what the utility company will do to the Nederland nerd who chops down that totem pole! lol

bandkid

Staff member
NDNPARENT said:
YEAH.. GET THE PERMISSION FORM THE UTILITY COMPANY AND LET THE ART CLASS AT THE HIGH SCHOLL DO THE PAINTING OF THE POLES

I'd love to see that happen. Maybe we don't need to just limit it to the art classes. Let's make it a school-wide... no, district-wide effort.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
bandkid said:
NDNPARENT said:

I'd love to see that happen. Maybe we don't need to just limit it to the art classes. Let's make it a school-wide... no, district-wide effort.

That would be really neat to see the elementary age kids painting some of them. Those kids have talent.

bandkid

Staff member
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
NDNPARENT said:

That would be really neat to see the elementary age kids painting some of them. Those kids have talent.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we could get permission to do that, we'd turn what is essentially an eyesore into a symbol of community spirit and something that our students, K-12, can remember and be proud of. This idea needs to be taken to the school board.

NONS81

bandkid said:
Cheermom4 said:
bandkid said:
NDNPARENT said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. If we could get permission to do that, we'd turn what is essentially an eyesore into a symbol of community spirit and something that our students, K-12, can remember and be proud of. This idea needs to be taken to the school board.

OOOhhhhh, I like this idea, NDNPARENT!!!! and all of the rest of you that elaborated on it!!!

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
squaw said:
NDNPARENT said:
I LOVE that idea!!! Wonder what the utility company will do to the Nederland nerd who chops down that totem pole! lol

We won't chop em down Squaw. But we will re-paint em BLACK & GOLD for ya. :woohoo: LOL

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This may not be popular opinion, but it's an important point to keep in mind.

Putting up structures like teepees and totem poles in the stadium or any public area is a really bad idea. Many Native Americans take offense with use of symbols such as teepees. And as the world continues to become more and more politically correct, with activist groups that ensue litigation and public protests to meet their objective, adding any native American symbols is highly questionable. I would avoid providing more ammunition to the call for future legislation that will force school districts to entirely eliminate use of names and symbols (Indians, Indian Spirit, head dresses, etc.).

Our school legacy and history is in the pursuit and achievement of excellence. Rather than a teepee in the football stadium, why not erect a sign that celebrates the playoff success of past PN-G football teams?

N

NDNPARENT

it would be cool if we had footage of our state champion teams to be played on the jumbotron. alowg with all our titles etc.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
Here is another school that is dropping an Indian name.

University of North Dakota Dropping 'Fighting Sioux' Nickname, Logo
Thursday, May 14, 2009

DICKINSON, N.D. — North Dakota's Board of Higher Education has agreed to drop the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname and Indian head logo, a move intended to resolve a decades-long campus dispute about whether the name demeans American Indians.

The name and logo, which is a profile of an American Indian man with feathers and streaks of paint on his face, could still be saved if North Dakota's Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Sioux tribes agree by Oct. 1 to give the university permission to use them for at least 30 years.

However, tribal officials say that possibility is remote. Unless the name and logo receive tribal endorsement, they will be retired for good on Aug. 1, 2010.

The board, which met Thursday at Dickinson State University, voted 8-0 to retire the logo and nickname. UND President Robert Kelley began making plans for replacements.

"This has been a long-standing tradition at UND, and I think the board action now instructs the university to develop new traditions," he said.

Board member Grant Shaft, who is chairman of a committee that has been studying the issue, said the move may help UND's likely application to join the Summit League, an 11-member NCAA Division I conference that is seeking a 12th school.

Tom Douple, the Summit League's commissioner, has said the University of North Dakota won't be considered for membership as long as the nickname and logo dispute festered.

The education board's action does not suggest any blueprint for UND to follow in choosing a new nickname and logo.

Richie Smith, the president of the Board of Higher Education, said the issue would be left to the campus, and jokingly suggested "Moose" as a new nickname. Kelley said a transition team will be appointed to oversee the process.

"What this permits the University of North Dakota to do is to start a marketing initiative," Kelley said. "Over time, I think we would see enhancement of our revenue structure for athletic programs. I think we would see the enhancement of fan interest."

UND sports teams have been known as the Fighting Sioux since 1930, when the moniker replaced Flickertails.

Arguments against the nickname's racial origins have flared regularly for decades. Its supporters say the name is intended to honor North Dakota's Sioux tribes, while critics say it is demeaning and fosters racial tension on the university's campus in Grand Forks, in northeastern North Dakota.

The debate came to a head in September 2005, when the NCAA declared Fighting Sioux as "hostile and abusive" to American Indians and said UND would be barred from hosting NCAA postseason tournaments if the school continued using it.

The Board of Higher Education then sued the NCAA, arguing the organization had not followed its own rules in issuing its edict. The lawsuit was settled in October 2007; its terms gave the University of North Dakota permission to continue using the nickname and logo if the school could get approval from the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes by November 2010.

Ron His Horse Is Thunder, the chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and a fervent opponent of the nickname and logo, cheered the board's decision.

"It's not an easy step," His Horse Is Thunder said. "And it is full of controversy. But I think every great step in this country was filled with controversy ... The civil rights movements in the '60s didn't happen with a whimper."

American Indian backers of the nickname, who have been campaigning on the reservations to garner support for it, asked the Board of Higher Education before Thursday's vote to back the nickname and logo. Many residents of both reservations take pride in "Fighting Sioux," they said.

Hope we won't have to do this. Maybe the Cherokee Nation will continue to let us use the nickname INDIANS as we are part of their nation.

modmouse78

100+ Posts
This doesn't make any sense to me. How is it demeaning? In my opinion, it would be considered an honor that someone is using the name and making sure people remember the Indians.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I agree. To me, what would be MORE demeaning would be to NEVER use or see the names again, and let them disappear, never to be heard from again. Is this what Native Americans rally want??? I don't think so. I think that they would like for their heritage to be upheld and honored, just as we do here at PNG.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
The problem is, not all schools will hold and honor it like PNG tries to. They may start out with the honor thing in mind but eventually someone or something starts to cross the line. Native American people are extremely symbolic. Even certain colors mean things. I was born and raised PNG, purple and white. I never though two cents about the things WE call Honor, Pride and Traditions until I married my late husband. He was 100% Native American. After my daughter was born, was when I started to learn some of THEIR traditions. I started looking at the world through their eyes. From then on some of the things that we do at PNG starts to look a little different. Our Indian Spirit is pretty honorable (throught their eyes), but I know everybody loved him. He was full of spirit and etc.....But throught their eyes Indian Ken wearing his head dress the way he did was pretty close to crossing the line. Sort of like a mockery. To a Native American a head dress is equal to us crowning a King or Queen. In their eyes a head dress is a very honorable thing (well I should say extremely honorable thing). Reserved for the highest of high, most honorable of honorable, the head leader.

Another tidbit, for years I alway heard and used the wording Squaw or Indian Squaw. One day I was at the reservation in Livingston attending a council meeting. Just in talking I said squaw. It was like I had said a bad word out loud in church. That is when I was told that to a Native American "Squaw" means bitch/slut/whore. Squaw is a down grading word to a Native American. (Nothing personal to you Squaw :hi: )

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Uh Oh! Looks like Squaw may be changing her name soon!
7.gif

squaw

1,000+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
7.gif
Any suggestions? I thought squaw was a middle aged, chubby Indian woman and I sure meet this criteria. :laugh:

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
squaw said:
PNG Proud said:
7.gif
Any suggestions? I thought squaw was a middle aged, chubby Indian woman and I sure meet this criteria. :laugh:

Native American Names and their Meanings:

http://www.bchealth.com/services/birthcenter/nativeambabynames.shtml

Or you could just use PrehistoricNDNFan as your name. :) ;) ;D :eek: :thud: :cowboy: :ha: :helmet: :rocks: :woot: :woohoo: :shout: :punchingbag: :clap: :cheesy:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't negate the concerns, but a lot of people actually have some Native American blood flowing in their veins. My Great-great grandmother was Cherokee.

He wasn't a blood relative but my step-grandfather was from the Oklahoma Cherokee tribe. I never know until after his death but he carried a small medicine bag. He also spoke in Cherokee at times which was fascinating to me as a young kid.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores