Texas City

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Texas City Stadium seats 10,500. About the size of Nederland's Stadium. Since Indian fans don't seem to travel that well to Houston area stadiums, it should be plenty of room.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=362

C4L

Texas City finds its 'ace in the hole'

By Corey Roepken
The Daily News
Published September 10, 2008

TEXAS CITY — Forgive Justin Branch for walking with a swagger this week.

He rushed for more than 300 yards Friday and you probably did not.

The Texas City running back burst onto the scene Friday with the first 300-plus-yard performance coach Tim Finn can remember. The Stings needed every bit of it, too.

Branch already had surpassed 200 yards when he broke free for an 82-yard touchdown run with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. That gave the Stings a 24-3 lead. Alvin scored on the ensuing kickoff return then added another touchdown on the last play of the game.

His official rushing total was 304 yards. That gives him 421 for the season — tops in the Houston area. Branch said he thought maybe he had 200 yards by the end of the game. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect to surpass 300.

“I was amazed I did it,” Branch said. “I knew I couldn’t do it on my own. It was a wake-up call for me.”

That might be alarming for Port-Neches Groves, which travels to Texas City for a 7:30 p.m. game Friday. Branch said he did not have confidence in his ability even after rushing for 117 yards in Texas City’s victory over defending state champion Lamar Consolidated two weeks ago.

Now, Branch said he believes this Texas City team can get to where Lamar Consolidated was last year. Finn said that wouldn’t surprise him now that the Stings have found their “ace in the hole.”

“If we were looking for somebody to lead the offense, we definitely found him,” Finn said. “We always try to build our offense around the tailback. He has not been a disappointment up to this point. We’re excited about the way he has produced.”

Finn said Branch’s determination, work ethic and hard-nosed running style make him successful. Unlike last year’s 2,000-yard rusher Johnny Thomas, Branch is a downhill runner. Thomas was more of a slasher. No matter the type of back lining up, Texas City is happy to have found a player it can count on.

Branch was concerned about whether his team could count on him after the victory over Lamar Consolidated. He had rushed for more than 100 yards but did not score a touchdown. He apologized to his teammates for failing them.

“I felt bad because Jarvis (Carraway) and Johnny (Thomas) scored about every game,” Branch said. “In my opening game, I didn’t score, so I felt I let them down. The running back should score.”

Because he did not play much last season and did not score in the first game this season, he said he did not have confidence in himself. That changed after rushing for 300 yards against Alvin, a team Finn said boasts a defense he has a lot of respect for.

The 82-yard touchdown helped his average quite a bit, but even without it, Branch had an impressive yards per carry stat. With it he averaged 11.6 yards on 26 carries. Without it he averaged 8.9 yards on 25 carries.

The breakout game has given Branch confidence he never had. He typically is down on himself no matter how well he does. He found it difficult to expect more out of Friday’s game. Typically a reserved kid, he said he even has been a little more outgoing this week.

That said he insists he will remain grounded while going after his new goal.

“When you’re at this position you get most of the attention,” he said. “I don’t like it, but if it comes, it comes. I’m not going to let it give me a big head. But now I think I can take this team, with help from my teammates, to state.”

C4L

IndianFan said:
Texas City Stadium seats 10,500. About the size of Nederland's Stadium. Since Indian fans don't seem to travel that well to Houston area stadiums, it should be plenty of room.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=362

There isn't much visitor parking at Stingaree Stadium. I would suggest that those of y'all going to the game use the Library/City Hall parking lot at 17th/18th & Palmer.

Indianman

Well Indian fans....this much anticipated matchup will have to wait till next week. I just got word that the PNG vs. TC game is going to be moved to next week due to Hurricane Ike in the gulf. Tough deal but it's alright. The only bad thing I think is that our Indians will not have their week of rest before our tough district, which is always a good thing.
Not to sure on the date next week, just reporting what I heard. It will most likely be posted in the papers tomorow.
GO INDIANS!! PEACE

png9mon

:sorry:per Texas City site & of course due to no school functions at PNG, there will be no game tonight. I am hoping & praying that school restoration, power & operations can begin so as to not affect the district games. :helmet:

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I was trying to be funny. Guess I failed. I'm hearing, through an unconfirmed source, that it may be another two weeks before we get football season back. It will probably have to be done like the Rita season.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Yep, since it doesn't look like PNGISD will be back in session next week I would think a week from next Friday would be the first playable weekend for the Indians.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores