Transfers?

pbg1990

Whats with all this possible transfers to PNG, Nothing against someone moving for a better education, But our beloved future PNG Indians are stack with talent for the next few years without any outside help. Go PNG

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Well I would hope its because of the academic success of the School District, but with our football program and the system I wouldn't be surprised if parents may want to move a good player here. JMO

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I agree with pbg1990. We gots lots of talent returning and lots moving up from JV. We don't need the transfers to be successful. If I had a boy playing and he'd been working hard, I would't appreciate anyone moving in here just to take his place on the team.

badndn

500+ Posts
squaw said:
I agree with pbg1990. We gots lots of talent returning and lots moving up from JV. We don't need the transfers to be successful. If I had a boy playing and he'd been working hard, I would't appreciate anyone moving in here just to take his place on the team.
Your assuming that the transfer has not worked hard before coming to PNG. If the kid moves in and works hard and prooves his worth as a starter, why would it matter that he wasn't PNG from birth?
This attitude is what got PNG into the situation they were in a few years back (Good Ole Boy).

Funny thing Squaw, didn't hear you complaining when Peveto transfered in from OF his Soph year and started on Varsity shortly thereafter.

Longbow

Just one name for ya. Justin Eicher (77-78). Made ALL-EVERYTHING. He is now in the PNG Hall of Honor. He was a transfer. I well remember going to the Astrodome every weekend for the playoffs. Nobody cared where he came from. It only mattered that he was wearing purple and white.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Longbow said:
Just one name for ya. Justin Eicher (77-78). Made ALL-EVERYTHING. He is now in the PNG Hall of Honor. He was a transfer. I well remember going to the Astrodome every weekend for the playoffs. Nobody cared where he came from. It only mattered that he was wearing purple and white.
Justin played a year behind me. Great runner, went to LU, I believe.

Who votes in the players that are in the PNG Hall of Honor? Honestly, I've never heard of it. Where is it?

I'd like (I know it won't be me) to see who all is in Hall.

Longbow

The home page of this website lists it as "Hall of Honor". My point is there have been many players throughout the years that were transfers that have come to PNG and contributed to their success. Justin is only one example. Katy, Southlake Carroll, Austin Travis and Westlake all get more transfers in one week than PNG does in five years. They welcome them in and let the player rise to the occaission or not. If he/she proves themselves worthy then they should be allowed to contribute. Your birthplace is not important.

Torino

500+ Posts
Longbow said:
The home page of this website lists it as "Hall of Honor". My point is there have been many players throughout the years that were transfers that have come to PNG and contributed to their success. Justin is only one example. Katy, Southlake Carroll, Austin Travis and Westlake all get more transfers in one week than PNG does in five years. They welcome them in and let the player rise to the occaission or not. If he/she proves themselves worthy then they should be allowed to contribute. Your birthplace is not important.

Again, PNG ISD does not accept transfer students. If the students under discussion are enrolled in PNG HS next spring or next year it will be because they moved into, and physically reside in, the PNG ISD district.

Some districts do accept transfers--Kountze supplemented its basketball team with them for years--but not PNG.

My understanding is that Southlake and the other schools mentioned do not allow transfers, either, but require residence in the school district.

bark

1,000+ Posts
IndianFan said:
There is no official hall of honor. But take a look at this list of coaches and players who achieved more than the average player. http://www.pngindians.com/sports/football/hallofhonor
Click on the name to see more detail if any.

If you think you qualify to be on the list, let me know.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I saw the list and it was great! Lot's of great players on the list from the 53-55 era and the 70's era. I had forgotten just how fast Justin appeared. His mother was over Religous Ed. at St. Elizabeth.

And I don't qualify - just lettered 2 years. 2nd string

I did notice there were none/few from the Malone/Troy era, thought that strange. But as a whole that era did not go far playoff wise and the list seems to go along those lines.

I would agree with all that are on the list. What about Lance VanZant? Old timers would say the best athlete ever and coached at the College and Pro level. I got to know him before he died. WOW coached with Osborne at Neb. to Phillips in N.O. talk about some great stories he told.

bark

1,000+ Posts
Longbow said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My Nephews played there (S. Lake) and you are correct students moving into those districts to take advantage of the success those programs have is huge. Remember your family does not have to be in the district just you and your Eduational Gardian. With that said, any kid who can find someone to take them in can go to PNG -if they push the issue.

Longbow

Torino- I think we are using the word "Transfer" in the wrong context. We are referring to "Move-in's" only.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
bark said:
IndianFan said:
There is no official hall of honor. But take a look at this list of coaches and players who achieved more than the average player. http://www.pngindians.com/sports/football/hallofhonor
Click on the name to see more detail if any.

If you think you qualify to be on the list, let me know.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I saw the list and it was great! Lot's of great players on the list from the 53-55 era and the 70's era. I had forgotten just how fast Justin appeared. His mother was over Religous Ed. at St. Elizabeth.

And I don't qualify - just lettered 2 years. 2nd string

I did notice there were none/few from the Malone/Troy era, thought that strange. But as a whole that era did not go far playoff wise and the list seems to go along those lines.

I would agree with all that are on the list. What about Lance VanZant? Old timers would say the best athlete ever and coached at the College and Pro level. I got to know him before he died. WOW coached with Osborne at Neb. to Phillips in N.O. talk about some great stories he told.

Any suggestions are welcome.

As far as some players possibly missing from the last 15+ years, I moved away in 1993 and confess to not have stayed aware of the team during some of that time. I know there have been a lot of good players, but just listed the ones that truly stand out in their accomplishments.(all-state, successful college careers, NFL players, accomplished coaches, etc.) The standards are very high to make such a list.

I encourage everyone to make nominations with supporting facts here: http://www.boards.pngindians.com/index.php/board,16.0.html

tomtom92

pbg1990 said:
Whats with all this possible transfers to PNG, Nothing against someone moving for a better education, But our beloved future PNG Indians are stack with talent for the next few years without any outside help. Go PNG

Exactly! We don't do that on the Trail of Victory.

STOP IT, C'mon MAN!

Torino

500+ Posts
tomtom92 said:
pbg1990 said:

Exactly! We don't do that on the Trail of Victory.

STOP IT, C'mon MAN!

Stop What?

squaw

1,000+ Posts
badndn said:
squaw said:
Your assuming that the transfer has not worked hard before coming to PNG. If the kid moves in and works hard and prooves his worth as a starter, why would it matter that he wasn't PNG from birth?
This attitude is what got PNG into the situation they were in a few years back (Good Ole Boy).

Funny thing Squaw, didn't hear you complaining when Peveto transfered in from OF his Soph year and started on Varsity shortly thereafter.
Peveto did NOT transfer for athletic reasons only. He earned his spot.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores