Trivia...

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Several years ago the football site on pngindians.com included a trivia page. I came across it the other day while archiving old files on my primary desktop computer.

Did you know...

During the 1940 season, the Indians recorded 7 shutouts while only allowing 18 points. In 1941, the Indian defense was just as impressive allowing only 25 points over the season with 6 shutouts.

Indian play by play announcer Tippy Durham was the starting center for the Indians during the 1950 season.

Indian Stadium, with a seating capacity of 6,500, was opened in 1951 for a total cost of $175,000. The previous year, 1950, all Indian home games were played in Nederland's Bulldog stadium.

Current University of Texas Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis was an all-district quarterback for the Indians during the 1968 season.

From 1969-72, the Indians used the fabled Wishbone formation on offense. All-American and two-time All State running back Jeff "The Jet" Bergeron led the team with 3,928 yards and 67 touchdowns during the 1970-72 seasons.

The 1974 Indians, who reached the 4A state semifinals, only had four starters who weighed over 178 pounds. The average offensive lineman on the 1975 state championship team weighed 187 pounds.

During the 1974-77 seasons, 23 Indian players were named to the All-State team. (1974- Matt Burnett, Mark Vise. 1975- Kyle Aguillard, Ricky Johnson, Mark Buchanan, Mike Giblin, Wilson Weber, Von Robinson. 1976- Carl Griffith, Ronnie Golmon, Blake Green, Jackie Havard, Ted Brack, Richy Ethridge. 1977- Jeff Cooley, Howard Kern, Ronnie Delcambre, Justin Eicher, Ted Brack, Bruce Miller, Robert DeRutte, Mark Moss, James Shipley.)

The 1975 team is the most successful in PN-G history. A 14-1 season culminated in a 20-10 state championship win against Odessa Permian and a #3 national ranking.

The 1976 PN-G Indians had a 25 game winning going into the semifinals game against San Antonio Churchill. The Indians lost to the eventual state champion Chargers 14-7.

In 1977, the Indians were only the third team in Texas high school football history to make it to the state semifinals four years in a row (74-75-76-77). The others were Abilene (54-55-56-57) and Wichita Falls (58-59-60-61).

The 1977 Indians played in front of a total paid crowd of 177,837 during a five game playoff series, an average attendance of 35,567 per game. Included in that total is the Texas high school attendance record of 49,953 against Plano in the championship game.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
Several years ago the football site on pngindians.com included a trivia page. I came across it the other day while archiving old files on my primary desktop computer.

Did you know...

During the 1940 season, the Indians recorded 7 shutouts while only allowing 18 points. In 1941, the Indian defense was just as impressive allowing only 25 points over the season with 6 shutouts.

Indian play by play announcer Tippy Durham was the starting center for the Indians during the 1950 season.

Indian Stadium, with a seating capacity of 6,500, was opened in 1951 for a total cost of $175,000. The previous year, 1950, all Indian home games were played in Nederland's Bulldog stadium.

Current University of Texas Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis was an all-district quarterback for the Indians during the 1968 season.

From 1969-72, the Indians used the fabled Wishbone formation on offense. All-American and two-time All State running back Jeff "The Jet" Bergeron led the team with 3,928 yards and 67 touchdowns during the 1970-72 seasons.

The 1974 Indians, who reached the 4A state semifinals, only had four starters who weighed over 178 pounds. The average offensive lineman on the 1975 state championship team weighed 187 pounds.

During the 1974-77 seasons, 23 Indian players were named to the All-State team. (1974- Matt Burnett, Mark Vise. 1975- Kyle Aguillard, Ricky Johnson, Mark Buchanan, Mike Giblin, Wilson Weber, Von Robinson. 1976- Carl Griffith, Ronnie Golmon, Blake Green, Jackie Havard, Ted Brack, Richy Ethridge. 1977- Jeff Cooley, Howard Kern, Ronnie Delcambre, Justin Eicher, Ted Brack, Bruce Miller, Robert DeRutte, Mark Moss, James Shipley.)

The 1975 team is the most successful in PN-G history. A 14-1 season culminated in a 20-10 state championship win against Odessa Permian and a #3 national ranking.

The 1976 PN-G Indians had a 25 game winning going into the semifinals game against San Antonio Churchill. The Indians lost to the eventual state champion Chargers 14-7.

In 1977, the Indians were only the third team in Texas high school football history to make it to the state semifinals four years in a row (74-75-76-77). The others were Abilene (54-55-56-57) and Wichita Falls (58-59-60-61).

The 1977 Indians played in front of a total paid crowd of 177,837 during a five game playoff series, an average attendance of 35,567 per game. Included in that total is the Texas high school attendance record of 49,953 against Plano in the championship game.

I knew all those things ;)

I do have a football signed by the 77 team - got my now, brother-in-law's autograph!!!! woo hoo ;D

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Most of those stats where made while I was in high school. I also personally knew most of the players mention. I dated a guy that was on the varsity football team my freshman thru the beginning of my senior year. Most of those players where friends of his. That era was a great time to be at PNG high school. Loved my high school years. Wouldn't trade those memories for nothing!!!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
Most of those stats where made while I was in high school. I also personally knew most of the players mention. I dated a guy that was on the varsity football team my freshman thru the beginning of my senior year. Most of those players where friends of his. That era was a great time to be at PNG high school. Loved my high school years. Wouldn't trade those memories for nothing!!!
Oh, for those glory years!!!! Not many people remember going into the locker room of the Dallas Cowboys and being thrown around by sweaty, ecstatic hunks of testosterone!! (I was skinnier then! lol) The high from winning the state championship game was one of the greatest times in my life! Our son started in every game from 8th grade on and only experienced two losses and 50 something wins. I'm spoiled--I want those years to repeat. It's time........

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
EX79NDN said:

I wasn't in high school yet, back then - but imagine how a 14 yr girl was feeling with a football with all those "hunks" names on it!!!!!! I remember feeling as comfortable at the Astrodome as I did at Indian stadium!!!!
Funny story - we went back to the Astrodome years later for a playoff game ( can't remember which year - they all start to run together) after 1989 and before 1999(somewhere in there, anyway) we get to the Astrodome and they had only opened up the Messaniane and one other section. We are standing on the ramps and the gates were closed. The guard told us that there should be plenty of room in the other sections for everyone to sit. We told him that the other sections were already full. He went to find a supervisor....this older gentleman comes up and sees all the purple and tells the other guard - "Son, I have worked here for 25 years and these are the people from PNG - these fans love their football - open the other sections - we are going to need them". I thought that was just too cool!!!!

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
MightyNDNS said:
EX79NDN said:

I wasn't in high school yet, back then - but imagine how a 14 yr girl was feeling with a football with all those "hunks" names on it!!!!!! I remember feeling as comfortable at the Astrodome as I did at Indian stadium!!!!
Funny story - we went back to the Astrodome years later for a playoff game ( can't remember which year - they all start to run together) after 1989 and before 1999(somewhere in there, anyway) we get to the Astrodome and they had only opened up the Messaniane and one other section. We are standing on the ramps and the gates were closed. The guard told us that there should be plenty of room in the other sections for everyone to sit. We told him that the other sections were already full. He went to find a supervisor....this older gentleman comes up and sees all the purple and tells the other guard - "Son, I have worked here for 25 years and these are the people from PNG - these fans love their football - open the other sections - we are going to need them". I thought that was just too cool!!!!
:clap: :clap: Really cool story. I remember many stories like that. I also remember one time they asked some of the players to go to the elementary school. Well my boyfriend (at the time) and some of his friends (some of the players mentioned above) went. When they came back they could not believe how the elementary kids treated them. I remember them saying they felt like a celebrity with all the kids asking for their autographs. It blew them all away. :laugh: I can also remember the trip to Texas stadium. We went early (because all the players had to be their early for practice). I remember my boyfriend telling me Coach Etheridge gave them a little while to take in the moment and observe the surroundings. It was awesome but extremely cold. :cold The coldest I have been in a long time. I also remember the boys use to think it would be cool if they could practice (or scrimmage) with the Cowboys. It would be a Cowboys and Indians game. ;D O, I could go on and on with my memories. One of my treasured things from that era is my yearbook. Remember how you would pass around your yearbook for everyone to sign. Well mine has many well wishes from many above plus more and our memories of the playoffs.

I will tell you this. The players in that era did not start getting their training in Junior high. They started in Junior League Football. I was a cheerleader for the Junior league team back then (the Falcons we where called). the roster of that team is almost the same from the Varsity winning teams of the 70's. We won everyone of our games. Went undefeated and even played a play off game againest Abeyville in La. We kick their butt also. :clap: :woohoo: Those boys/players back then were born to win. They lived and breathed football. They practiced not only at school, after school, at their house and any vacate field they could find. It always reminds me of the old Rocky (movie) song, "Eye of The Tiger." Those boys back then had the eye of the tiger. Nothing and nobody was going to get in their way! :helmet:

This O0 also reminds me of alot of the players hair back then..... :laugh:

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
squaw said:
EX79NDN said:
Oh, for those glory years!!!! Not many people remember going into the locker room of the Dallas Cowboys and being thrown around by sweaty, ecstatic hunks of testosterone!! (I was skinnier then! lol) The high from winning the state championship game was one of the greatest times in my life! Our son started in every game from 8th grade on and only experienced two losses and 50 something wins. I'm spoiled--I want those years to repeat. It's time........
O if we could turn back the hands of time. It would be great. I think ALL Indian Alumni past and presant should be able to experiance the way PNG and PNG football was back then. School was fun, PNG football was fun, the teachers where fun. Everything about that era and PNG was fun.
(I was skinnier then! lol)
I was too!!! Much skinnier and had a hell of a lot more energy then also.

Not many people remember going into the locker room of the Dallas Cowboys and being thrown around by sweaty, ecstatic hunks of testosterone!!
I do!!! Try dating and being hugged by one of those sweaty, ecstatic hunks of testosterone :helmet: that was 6' 2' and I was only 5' 3'. :faint: The arm pits where nothing nice!!! :sorry: But I think everyone was on a natural high then. I remember us say (at the Odessa game) "Odessa don't messa with the Indians". I also remember for the Plano game we had our car decorated (just like everyone else). We stayed at the Tom Penny Inn across the street from Texas stadium. The next morning someone from Plano had drawn paw prints all over our car windows ::) We just laughed it off.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
MightyNDNS said:
EX79NDN said:

:clap: :clap: Really cool story. I remember many stories like that. I also remember one time they asked some of the players to go to the elementary school. Well my boyfriend (at the time) and some of his friends (some of the players mentioned above) went. When they came back they could not believe how the elementary kids treated them. I remember them saying they felt like a celebrity with all the kids asking for their autographs. It blew them all away. :laugh: I can also remember the trip to Texas stadium. We went early (because all the players had to be their early for practice). I remember my boyfriend telling me Coach Etheridge gave them a little while to take in the moment and observe the surroundings. It was awesome but extremely cold. :cold The coldest I have been in a long time. I also remember the boys use to think it would be cool if they could practice (or scrimmage) with the Cowboys. It would be a Cowboys and Indians game. ;D O, I could go on and on with my memories. One of my treasured things from that era is my yearbook. Remember how you would pass around your yearbook for everyone to sign. Well mine has many well wishes from many above plus more and our memories of the playoffs.

I will tell you this. The players in that era did not start getting their training in Junior high. They started in Junior League Football. I was a cheerleader for the Junior league team back then (the Falcons we where called). the roster of that team is almost the same from the Varsity winning teams of the 70's. We won everyone of our games. Went undefeated and even played a play off game againest Abeyville in La. We kick their butt also. :clap: :woohoo: Those boys/players back then were born to win. They lived and breathed football. They practiced not only at school, after school, at their house and any vacate field they could find. It always reminds me of the old Rocky (movie) song, "Eye of The Tiger." Those boys back then had the eye of the tiger. Nothing and nobody was going to get in their way! :helmet:

This O0 also reminds me of alot of the players hair back then..... :laugh:

Yeah, O0 saw Kyle A. not too long ago, he brought my dad to his room from the ER and he shaves his head now!!!

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
Yeah, saw Kyle A. not too long ago, he brought my dad to his room from the ER and he shaves his head now!!!
Really!!! It has been years since I seen Kyle. I can't imagine him bald. :ha: But I am sure he (and alot of other people) would say they can not imagine me lets say....."fluffly".

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
You are so right about everything being fun back then!!! It is ashame that teachers can't be like that anymore without the worry of being sued. You could even joke with Coach Cobb back then. Mr. White and his rum cakes, Coach Hooper for Biology and his neck rubs while he talked, Margie and her "great pumpkin" presents - which she still receives every year, Mr. Frey and his arm around your neck as he walked down the hall with you until he got to the office - that was his stop. Teachers can't walk down the hall with their arm around your neck or give you a neck rub anymore - hell they can barely touch these kids without someone hollering harassment....it's a shame

I want to clarify something about Coach Hooper - he was never out of line with the neck rubs - guys and girls got them - it was just something he did while he talked nobody thought anything about it. We all loved him as a teacher and a coach.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
MightyNDNS said:
You are so right about everything being fun back then!!! It is ashame that teachers can't be like that anymore without the worry of being sued. You could even joke with Coach Cobb back then. Mr. White and his rum cakes, Coach Hooper for Biology and his neck rubs while he talked, Margie and her "great pumpkin" presents - which she still receives every year, Mr. Frey and his arm around your neck as he walked down the hall with you until he got to the office - that was his stop. Teachers can't walk down the hall with their arm around your neck or give you a neck rub anymore - hell they can barely touch these kids without someone hollering harassment....it's a shame

I want to clarify something about Coach Hooper - he was never out of line with the neck rubs - guys and girls got them - it was just something he did while he talked nobody thought anything about it. We all loved him as a teacher and a coach.
O I remember all of that. Nurse Dalby was real cool also. Heck I still laugh today when I look at my senior yearbook. We took all of our Senior (individual) pictures at Leo Weeks. Our then Indian Spirit (Mitch H.) took his Senior picture with his shot gun! :guns: A senior sure couldn't do that today. ::) Times where so much simpler back then. A teenager was allowed to be a teenager. Everyone was not so sue happy and everyone did not take everything so personal. Disagreements where settled out of court and more people where on the same page. My how times have changed. :cry: Can't you image what would be said today about the back/neck rubs and the "Rum cake". :faint: And back then it was all innocent. No harm done and no ill thoughts on anybodies part.

O Mr. Cheek loved to embarrasses me...... :-[

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
MightyNDNS said:

God Bless Coach Hooper. Still find it hard to believe that he's passed on.

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
IndianFan said:
MightyNDNS said:

God Bless Coach Hooper. Still find it hard to believe that he's passed on.

Yes, God Bless Him and I find it hard to believe too - he and Mr. Cheek used to stop by the house for a visit after hubby and I moved back to town - I sure do miss them....

MightyNDNS

100+ Posts
EX79NDN said:
MightyNDNS said:

O I remember all of that. Nurse Dalby was real cool also. Heck I still laugh today when I look at my senior yearbook. We took all of our Senior (individual) pictures at Leo Weeks. Our then Indian Spirit (Mitch H.) took his Senior picture with his shot gun! :guns: A senior sure couldn't do that today. ::) Times where so much simpler back then. A teenager was allowed to be a teenager. Everyone was not so sue happy and everyone did not take everything so personal. Disagreements where settled out of court and more people where on the same page. My how times have changed. :cry: Can't you image what would be said today about the back/neck rubs and the "Rum cake". :faint: And back then it was all innocent. No harm done and no ill thoughts on anybodies part.

O Mr. Cheek loved to embarrasses me...... :-[

O I can just see the headlines if someone brought a rifle to school for their picture....and Mitch probably took his pic and went and put the gun in his truck after the pic was taken - I can remember gun racks in trucks, can't remember if any guns were in them though...at school, I mean. I know they were there on the weekends....might have to shoot a possum or a nutra rat while you went muddin'.....haha...

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Indian99 said:
Hey, that 99' team put up some records too....

1999 was good. But the 70's run was on another level. Something that few schools have matched or even experienced.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores