UIL issues penalties for state champion Texas high school football program for recruiting

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The UIL State Executive Committee suspended former Galena Park North Shore offensive coordinator Andrew Cameron for three years and hit Mustangs head coach Willie Gaston with a suspension for the first two district games of 2024 for infractions related to illegal recruitment of players on Wednesday.

The committee did not punish the North Shore program, opting instead to focus its judgment on Cameron — who admitted in Wednesday's hearing to recruiting players from area schools — and Gaston, whom the committee ruled was responsible for the program as a whole but did not participate in the violations.

North Shore is a five-time state champion, most recently winning the 6A Division I state championship in 2021. The Mustangs finished as state runners-up the last two seasons, losing to rival Duncanville in the 6A Division I state championship game.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
The pre-game hype on the Bally Sports broadcast of the SOC game said "the Golden Bears have redefined what a football team from an urban area can do". No doubt that includes the recruiting "style" that they likely picked up from North Shore (or Duncanville or Desoto - take your pick). I know I'm old (and old school), but I prefer the good old days when athletes who transferred had to sit out a year - no exceptions. For example, Wade Phillips was not able to play football for PNG his junior year and his dad was the head coach! That may not appear to be fair to some, but this open enrollment stuff is just an invitation to cheat.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently some think winning through any means is appropriate. Even cheating, lying and stealing.
If you do all that of course you'll 'redefine' winning. As well as the integrity of the game. If any school district or school is serious about ethics it seems they would eliminate the source of the problem.

bandkid

Staff member
Note, TD up in Melissa wasting no time getting a QB transfer from Hoover, Alabama.

Hoover is a powerhouse. Could easily compete with a North Shore, DeSoto or Westlake. A lot of the talent you see take the field for schools like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Florida and Florida State comes out of that school.

I had the opportunity to watch them play in 2014. They absolutely demolished another quality team from the Birmingham area.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Took the fall for the higher ups
And the only way they got him was he admitted it
Time to look at the other schools
Either that or make two leagues
That’s why private schools have to either play in private league or move up in classification

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Then let’s look at the SHEER AMOUNT of purple the SOC Defenders had on

I rewatched the whole game in a condensed play version

Shoes, “streamers” gloves , sleeves, even mouthpieces
Almost every single defensive player had vast amounts of purple on

Sorry didn’t work
But still cheating.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Note, TD up in Melissa wasting no time getting a QB transfer from Hoover, Alabama.
TD went to Lucas Lovejoy which is in Melissa's district. As a side note, they lost last year in the playoff's to SOC 42-0 ... they easily handled Melissa in district play (who also lost to SOC in the playoffs).

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The weird thing about that 42-0 loss was Oak Cliff only had 198 yards of offense. Probably less than Lovejoy. Cliff dominated on defense with a lot of sacks. I suspect that Lovejoy’s o line was the big disadvantage.

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
The weird thing about that 42-0 loss was Oak Cliff only had 198 yards of offense. Probably less than Lovejoy. Cliff dominated on defense with a lot of sacks. I suspect that Lovejoy’s o line was the big disadvantage.
I want to say Lovejoy turned the ball over like 5 times or so.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Recruiting is really getting out of control. It's pretty simple to control...if you move into a school, you sit out one season before you can play (regardless of the reason...even if your the coach's son). That would stop a lot of this from happening. I bet the UIL also uses Dominion to ensure a school is turning in the proper headcount as well lol.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Hey Reggie did something similar
Won the State Championship at Tenaha as a freshman then went to bigger pond Lufkin
When you look at his bio they mention NOTHING about his time at Tenaha.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores