UIL Realignment

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Boy Beaumont United out of the fire into the frying pan. Westbrook North Shore Atascosita CE King Summer Creek wow

90NDN

500+ Posts
They do big school/small school for the playoffs, during regular season 6A plays everyone.

Yeah, I didn't clarify, but that is what I meant ..for they playoffs only they will split it ..but during the season, there is no distinguishing.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Still seems strange to go back to that. I always thought that system was cumbersome and weird relative to the more recent system of separate divisions, because you are playing the equivalent of teams in different classifications during the course of district play. Decision must have to do with ensuring adequate numbers of teams in the various districts or something similar.

Ashly409Sports

Still seems strange to go back to that. I always thought that system was cumbersome and weird relative to the more recent system of separate divisions, because you are playing the equivalent of teams in different classifications during the course of district play. Decision must have to do with ensuring adequate numbers of teams in the various districts or something similar.
6A has never been split during the regular season.

HJJ97NDN

100+ Posts
It’s real interesting how a school one year can win big school state championship and then the next year win small school state championship.(Westlake)

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
6A has never been split during the regular season.
This went completely over my head, probably because I do not follow 6A as closely as 5A and because they no longer call it “big school” and “small school” but instead call it D1 and D2 like the other classifications once the playoffs start. Thus, 6A is still operating like the other classifications did before they started splitting the schools into different divisions prior to the start of the season instead of separating them into “big” and “small” schools at the end of the season. Upon further reflection I knew this at one time but forgot about it since it has been so long ago and they now refer to 6A as having a “D1” and a “D2” come playoff time. My objections to this set-up still stand because it does mean teams with substantially different sizes are playing each other during district play. It is also the reason a 6A school can end up playing for a state championships in a different “division” in a consecutive year (it is unrelated to realignment, so changes in even a few students in a given year can put you in a different “division” than the previous year come playoff time). However, the set up is apparently viewed as being unavoidable in 6A due to travel issues, the need to have adequate numbers of teams in each district, etc (as I suspected and/or unconsciously recalled). The way the other classifications do it is apparently still viewed as being preferable, if possible, or they would not do things that way in the other classifications as opposed to the post season “big school”/“small school” split.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I know this isn't Texas and not football, but Indiana High School Basketball used to have no classification system...but they do now sadly. For me, that is what made it great.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
In 1977 Plano and PN-G were both 4A, the highest classification at the time. Plano had something like 4,000 students. PN-G was around 1500-1800. No division back then either.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Yes the main reason is that apart from the large cities there is wide distances between 6A schools. For instance Tyler (LEEgacy) is the only 6A from the border down to greater Houston and Dallas (correct me if I’m wrong because Lufkin Longview etc are now 5A

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
This went completely over my head, probably because I do not follow 6A as closely as 5A and because they no longer call it “big school” and “small school” but instead call it D1 and D2 like the other classifications once the playoffs start. Thus, 6A is still operating like the other classifications did before they started splitting the schools into different divisions prior to the start of the season instead of separating them into “big” and “small” schools at the end of the season. Upon further reflection I knew this at one time but forgot about it since it has been so long ago and they now refer to 6A as having a “D1” and a “D2” come playoff time. My objections to this set-up still stand because it does mean teams with substantially different sizes are playing each other during district play. It is also the reason a 6A school can end up playing for a state championships in a different “division” in a consecutive year (it is unrelated to realignment, so changes in even a few students in a given year can put you in a different “division” than the previous year come playoff time). However, the set up is apparently viewed as being unavoidable in 6A due to travel issues, the need to have adequate numbers of teams in each district, etc (as I suspected and/or unconsciously recalled). The way the other classifications do it is apparently still viewed as being preferable, if possible, or they would not do things that way in the other classifications as opposed to the post season “big school”/“small school” split.
They still go by the official “snapshot” (two years prior average for the numbers. That’s why Katy Paetow was in 5A and bigger than the 6A schools that year.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I wish the GT would start a semi pro league with the alumni of each school who live in the area and play each other. Anyone interested in seeing the college and pro aged alumni face off weekly ? (I would) Keep same uniforms/colors. Names, stadiums. Etc. And funded by ticket sales etc only

Indian99

500+ Posts
I wish the GT would start a semi pro league with the alumni of each school who live in the area and play each other. Anyone interested in seeing the college and pro aged alumni face off weekly ? (I would) Keep same uniforms/colors. Names, stadiums. Etc. And funded by ticket sales etc only

Nice idea, just don’t know if my knees would be up for it!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nice idea, just don’t know if my knees would be up for it!
99, you have joined the ranks of us old men by now. 1999 was over two decades ago. All that is left is Al Bundy type stories except you DID play in a state championship game. All Al has to remember is scoring 4 TDs for Polk High in the city championship game.;)

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores