Vidor sign

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:
bamakid said:
pngfan93 said:
Anyone else notice the sign that said "Cherokee < Slovak"?

You mean the one that took down before the game even started?
That was the sign they took down when they were asked to remove the "Real Men Take Knees" sign down. Most of us in the stands didn't even know what they meant by "Slavonic".

I wouldn't have known what it was if it wasn't for someone posting the same thing on SETXSports last week.

phetonb

My favorite sign of all time was this. Back when I was in the Band, early to mid 80's, almost everyone we played, their band played “Cherokee” trying to make fun of us. We in the band made and held up a sign that said, "Who wants to play your fight song?" It was great. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I know people who have kids that play at Vidor and they were not aware of the sign. If you think about it, I have no idea what our signs say, sitting in the stands, so I am sure most Vidor fans didn't see it either. The people I know asked about it and were told it had to do with Matt Thomas and that the sign was up for the previous game against Central. Let's be careful not to judge if we don't know for sure. I am sure most Vidor fans would not approve of a sign mocking our head coach and I am certain that they would not want it to be lied about in relation to a young man's death.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
ndnsrock44 said:
I know people who have kids that play at Vidor and they were not aware of the sign. If you think about it, I have no idea what our signs say, sitting in the stands, so I am sure most Vidor fans didn't see it either. The people I know asked about it and were told it had to do with Matt Thomas and that the sign was up for the previous game against Central. Let's be careful not to judge if we don't know for sure. I am sure most Vidor fans would not approve of a sign mocking our head coach and I am certain that they would not want it to be lied about in relation to a young man's death.
According to a Vidor student, it meant what it said--that is, we were poor sports at the LCM game. It was a sign of disrespect! It had nothing at all to do with Matt Thomas' death. Read the other site and you'll see what we're talking about.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I did read and post on the other site about this, the thread was locked. There was nothing on there that proved anything either way. My point is, even if it was a shot at Coach Faircloth, you can't indict all of Vidor for it. Our cheerleaders could have put up a sign bad-mouthing Vidor....that doesn't mean that all PNG fans agree with it. Like I said, I would haven't even seen it from the stands if they would have. A student from Vidor and parents from Vidor told me it was about Matt Thomas. Does that prove anything any more than the student from Vidor who you say claims otherwise? There are good Vidor fans and bad Vidor fans. Just like there are good PNG fans and obnoxious, know-it-all PNG fans. Don't judge the many on the actions of a few.....especially since you don't know what the sign meant for sure.

bandkid

Staff member
phetonb said:
My favorite sign of all time was this. Back when I was in the Band, early to mid 80's, almost everyone we played, their band played “Cherokee” trying to make fun of us. We in the band made and held up a sign that said, "Who wants to play your fight song?" It was great. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Oh, now that would be funny. LC-M still does this. I can see the look of shock on their faces as the cheerleaders unveil that sign after they do it next year.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
bamakid said:
phetonb said:

Oh, now that would be funny. LC-M still does this. I can see the look of shock on their faces as the cheerleaders unveil that sign after they do it next year.
I agree. That would be awesome.

phetonb

The band held up that sign, not the cheerleaders. It was fun. We used it several times. We would unroll it when the other band played Cherokee. And we would all clap and sing along with the other band taking a turn playing our fight song.

bandkid

Staff member
phetonb said:
The band held up that sign, not the cheerleaders. It was fun. We used it several times. We would unroll it when the other band played Cherokee. And we would all clap and sing along with the other band taking a turn playing our fight song.

Was it a paper sign?

phetonb

Yes, a paper sign, rolled it up and re-used it. We had some girls in the band who could paint like the cheerleaders.

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Was there not a school in the 80's that we played a few years in a row - that their band would play "10 Little Injuns" ? Seems I remember the band responding with Cherokee LOUDLY and it went back and forth a few times?

bandkid

Staff member
phetonb said:
Yes, a paper sign, rolled it up and re-used it. We had some girls in the band who could paint like the cheerleaders.

I'm going to remember that for the next time I talk to one of the band students.

IBLEEDPURPLE said:
Was there not a school in the 80's that we played a few years in a row - that their band would play "10 Little Injuns" ? Seems I remember the band responding with Cherokee LOUDLY and it went back and forth a few times?

Based on what I know, that sounds like TJ.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
To hopefully answer some questions and put the issue to rest, here are the facts about the sign! It meant exactly how we took it, it was a jab at our coach and team for not taking a knee during the injury time out at LCM game! Apparently a "big internet guy" put Vidors cheerleaders up to it! Coach Mathews did call BF and apologize !

phetonb

I found a picture of the sign we held up. It was the 1985 season. I tried to attach it, but I can't get it to upload. Yes, TJ played "poor little indian boys". It was Nederland, and a few other bands that would play Cherokee. WO-S, Vidor, and maybe West Brook. If memory serves.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
When my daughter was a cheerleader in 1985 (I think), we were playing Vidor over there and their band kept playing Cherokee during the 1st half. When they did our stands stood and cheered every time. When their band lined up on our side to perform at half, one of our cheerleader asked one of them how long had they practiced Cherokee. They replied not very long. Our cheerleader told them that they play it very well and it really fired up our players. They did not play it again that night!

bandkid

Staff member
NDNmom91 said:
To hopefully answer some questions and put the issue to rest, here are the facts about the sign! It meant exactly how we took it, it was a jab at our coach and team for not taking a knee during the injury time out at LCM game! Apparently a "big internet guy" put Vidors cheerleaders up to it! Coach Mathews did call BF and apologize !

Funny how several of those signs relate to SETXSports conversations. Sounds like there's a poster over there taking things a little too seriously.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores