We Need to Get Rid Of....

NDN4Life

Scalp Em Indians
the Stephenville type "Can" from being used. Look the reason PN-G is PN-G is tradition not copying other schools. Plus that can brings back that day in the Dome.

OldEagle

500+ Posts
That the way I feel about the "chop" also. I do notice that maybe half the people don't do it. The "chop" belongs to a school in Florida and the Atlanta Braves.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
I agree. I've been unhappy about it since I first saw it at the Livingston game. The "can" belongs to Stephenville. It's bad enough that Nederland copied their tradition, but we don't have to. Our fans are loud enough for us.

allstarmom

100+ Posts
I could not disagree more. First of all, it is only one or two people with cans. Big deal, let them make noise however they can. I am just excited to see so many kids getting fired up! Last week we sat behind some sophomores that had some sort of blow horn. They blew into it with their mouth and it sounded like an air horn. We had a blast watching them. Something tells me that some of you were also the ones against the bleacher creatures. Wow if we can't have new ideas and traditions, we need to get rid of the new coaches (cause they bring new ideas), get rid of Cherokee (it was new at one time), turn off the Jumbotron, do away with the little plastic hand clappers, etc, etc, etc. Be glad these people are into the game! They could be under the bleachers getting into trouble!

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
allstarmom said:
I could not disagree more. First of all, it is only one or two people with cans. Big deal, let them make noise however they can. I am just excited to see so many kids getting fired up! Last week we sat behind some sophomores that had some sort of blow horn. They blew into it with their mouth and it sounded like an air horn. We had a blast watching them. Something tells me that some of you were also the ones against the bleacher creatures. Wow if we can't have new ideas and traditions, we need to get rid of the new coaches (cause they bring new ideas), get rid of Cherokee (it was new at one time), turn off the Jumbotron, do away with the little plastic hand clappers, etc, etc, etc. Be glad these people are into the game! They could be under the bleachers getting into trouble!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I couldn't agree more. The more noise the better.

NDN4Life

Scalp Em Indians
Cheermom4 said:
allstarmom said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I couldn't agree more. The more noise the better.

Well don't even get me started about people making noise. I saw people stand up for blowzen band and need even ours, so as this topic is about...get rid of the cans.....THIS IS PN-G

akifan94

500+ Posts
NDN4Life said:
Cheermom4 said:
allstarmom said:

Well don't even get me started about people making noise. I saw people stand up for blowzen band and need even ours, so as this topic is about...get rid of the cans.....THIS IS PN-G

We have an L.A home crowd (people are too cool to stand and cheer) and a Philly away crowd (loud and into the game). 50% of the people in section D need to swap out there tickets to general admission if they are going to sit on their cans the whole game.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
NDN4Life said:
Cheermom4 said:
allstarmom said:

I was one of those people that stood up for Ozen's band as I stand and clap for every schools band it is called respect for what those kids do. I also stand up and clap and cheer for our band every week. Actually I pretty much stand up the whole game and cheer and yell and whatever else I can think of to do to get fired up.

Cheermom4

500+ Posts
akifan94 said:
NDN4Life said:
Cheermom4 said:
allstarmom said:

We have an L.A home crowd (people are too cool to stand and cheer) and a Philly away crowd (loud and into the game). 50% of the people in section D need to swap out there tickets to general admission if they are going to sit on their cans the whole game.

Ain't that the truth. ::)

NDN79

500+ Posts
Amen allstarmom! I agree with you! Let the students have their fun! Afterall, it is their team too! I would be willing to bet that the football players LOVE all the noise(no matter how it is made)! These students are excited and rooting on their team and having fun. Let them!! When there isn't any noise you complain--so LIGHTEN UP AND LEARN TO HAVE SOME FUN TOO!

pngfan66

500+ Posts
akifan94 said:
NDN4Life said:
Cheermom4 said:
allstarmom said:

Well I sit in section D towards the upper area, and most of us up there are not sitting on our cans. The great ladies on the top rows are great with their team spirit and yelling !!! I love it and I love all the noise. Who cares what the noise makers are, its all part of the game. Go to a college game and you have alot more noise makers than we have. Let the fans, mostly the students enjoy what they are doing, its their time as well to pull for the team. There are things that as adults we have to let others have. Its called compromise. I'm sure when we were all students we did things that the older crowd didn't necessarily approve of at games. But I bet you a hundred dollars you had a blast doing it and felt like you were helping to make a difference !!! I agree that the players probably love having all the noise makers, cheering, screaming and clapping going on. How could that not fire you up even more to have such a great fan base rooting you on !!!

afndn

I have been able to attend more games this year than I have since 1998. I moved to Houston back from Alaska so I drive in almost every week. I think I missed 2 games. Vidor and Texas City. I turned to my dad last night and said.. I'm starting to almost hate these home games. Tongue in cheek really, but I drove to Livingston and Lumberton and had an absolute Blast. I sit in Section D Row 14 at home. If you turn to the left and look... no one from E over is standing. Maybe a few patches. Cherokee plays and they sit. Maybe because they can't hear it, but they can see others standing. The home crowd is Dead compared to the Away crowds. I can't wait for the Playoff games and the game next week. I agree with the L.A. homecrowd comment above. BUT. At least we show up. Ozen had 158 fans. PATHETIC.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Reservation home side is large and as a lot of people have said, no one hears the band on the north end of the stadium past the 50. Cherokee cannot work it's magic (you know... the chills as the pride swells) if you can't hear it.

bandkid

Staff member
IndianFan said:
The Reservation home side is large and as a lot of people have said, no one hears the band on the north end of the stadium past the 50. Cherokee cannot work it's magic (you know... the chills as the pride swells) if you can't hear it.

I've got a little bit of good news about that. The middle school bands came and sat in with the high school band last night. I did a little figuring and it looks like every brass section as well as the percussion section will grow next year. The rumor going around is that we'll have enough percussionists next year to bring back the second quint and the fifth bass drum (the really big one).

allstarmom

100+ Posts
Ok first off....DON'T SHOOT ME! I seriously am just asking a question. Could you guys in Sec E and over still not hear it when they played Cherokee last night? With the GMS and PNMS bands playing too, they had about 100 additional horns playing. If you still couldn't hear it, then the size of the band is not the problem. I honestly think it is because the endzone seats are gone and the sound doesn't reverberated in the stadium like it used to due to that.

phetonb

Cherokee was "louder" but still not loud enough. The problem is not the size of the band, but the dynamics at which the band is allowed to play it.

Cherokee needs to be played louder dynamicaly...that will solve the problem.

We don't need to wory so much about "quality" of the tone with our fight song.

We played it twice as loud in the 80's and our sound was not bad. It was LOUD!!!!

ff or fff on cherokee please.

bandkid

Staff member
Y'all realize that the middle school bands only played the intro and ending of Cherokee last night, right? They played a small fraction of the whole song. None of the middle school players played the "love song" part.

And I think that if you ask around that you'll find that most of the members of the band play Cherokee as loud as they can. I know I do.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
allstarmom said:
Ok first off....DON'T SHOOT ME! I seriously am just asking a question. Could you guys in Sec E and over still not hear it when they played Cherokee last night? With the GMS and PNMS bands playing too, they had about 100 additional horns playing. If you still couldn't hear it, then the size of the band is not the problem. I honestly think it is because the endzone seats are gone and the sound doesn't reverberated in the stadium like it used to due to that.

Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I really do think it has A LOT to do with those endzone seats being gone. When I was in band, every song we played bounced back at us off those stands...kinda messed with you til you got used to it. So, I think it is a major factor...now, the band will not be as loud as we were due to size, but I think the acoustics in the new stadium have messed with the volume of the band.

And as far as the stuff about the cans, noise makers, horns...I say BRING IT ON!! I don't think we're copy catting anyone, used the idea maybe, but those cans are nowhere what Stephenville had. If you think about, I don't think Stephenville came up with that on their own, probably saw another team with something similar and ran with it, so why can't we? I personally think someone needs to make little tom toms to pass out at the games, or for people to buy and have everyone beating those drums the whole game! Could you imagine thousands of NDN fans beating those drums in unison to the drum intro of Cherokee :band:! Now, I haven't seen any other team doing that!!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of 'cow bells' instead of the cans. My dad built a really neat, double bell noise maker in 1999. The handle was made of oak and the bells were painted purple. Imagine the sound of a couple thousand of those at one time!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores