We Need to Get Rid Of....

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I like that idea too...we need to BRING DA NOISE for Central...cause we all know their band will be blaring the WHOLE game!! I say bring what ya got, cans, bells, drums, horns, whatever...just bring it!

NDN X

100+ Posts
NDNmom91 said:
I like that idea too...we need to BRING DA NOISE for Central...cause we all know their band will be blaring the WHOLE game!! I say bring what ya got, cans, bells, drums, horns, whatever...just bring it!

If everyone had say a strip of leather with the BIG jingle bells on them (like a piece of what the Indian Spirit wears on his legs ) and shook those all at the same time, that would sound like the I.S. dancing, just multiplied by thousands!!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Using air horns and mechanical noisemakers is illegal under U.I.L. rules (if you don't believe me, check it out). So, while some want them, would they still want them if it cost us the game? Also, I can guarantee these younger fans with air horns, etc., would meet plenty of resistence from older fans if they blow them in their ears. Not hearing Cherokee began BEFORE the endzones were gone--it began when we got the new sound system with the scoreboard. I don't know what sound came out of those old speakers on poles, but I know we could hear when they were there and now we can't. I had to try to pay attention and turn my head right to tell when Cherokee was being played. Bandkid, ask Mr. W if you can come over to the 30 yard line on the opposite end and have the band play Cherokee and I bet you'll be shocked at how bad it is. Others have said this many times, too!

NDN X

100+ Posts
squaw said:
Using air horns and mechanical noisemakers is illegal under U.I.L. rules (if you don't believe me, check it out). So, while some want them, would they still want them if it cost us the game? Also, I can guarantee these younger fans with air horns, etc., would meet plenty of resistence from older fans if they blow them in their ears. Not hearing Cherokee began BEFORE the endzones were gone--it began when we got the new sound system with the scoreboard. I don't know what sound came out of those old speakers on poles, but I know we could hear when they were there and now we can't. I had to try to pay attention and turn my head right to tell when Cherokee was being played. Bandkid, ask Mr. W if you can come over to the 30 yard line on the opposite end and have the band play Cherokee and I bet you'll be shocked at how bad it is. Others have said this many times, too!

not trying to argue, ( and no, I haven't looked it up yet), but I thought someone said it is only illegal in a closed stadium?

NDN79

500+ Posts
Bring on the noise! No matter what makes the noise--just bring it! If you don't like noise then you bring ear plugs(not trying to start anything or be insensitive). Lets have some fun at these games! :clap:

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
PNG fans have started with the propane tank noisemakers?? After all the "dogging" ya'll gave Nederland on a previous post about that, I find it awfully hard to believe that they are being used at the Reservation..What am I missing here??

Ya'll said we copied Stephenville's claim to fame and now ya'll are doing it???

If I remember correctly ( and that is somewhat doubtful), I was under the impression that PNG fans were against any type of mechanical noisemakers at their games...maybe I misread/misunderstood what I had read in the past.

I'm reading double standard in this...

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

IMO, as long as the item being used in not against UIL/school regulations, than I don't see a problem with it.

Alpha06

The kids that do it hardly remember S-ville.. i like the can, and air horns, and the clapers.. as much noise as possible.. :band: :woot: :shout: :machinegun: :music: :cowboy: :angry: :eek:ld: :rocks: :woot:

ndnette81

In reference to the comment about the people in section D who don't get up needing to trade their seats with people who do cheer on the players I agree 100%. My husband and I seat near the top in section D and love all the cheering and spirit that goes on up there. However, my parents (a former teacher and a former administrator) as well as my daughter (a former Indian twirler) came from out of town last night for parents night to see our freshman that is in the band. When they stood for Cherokee the young ladies behind them made the comment "Oh great now we're not going to be able to see what happens next." So my family sat down and stayed sitting the rest of the game so as not to offend anyone sitting around them. These ladies spent most of the ballgame discussing their Halloween costumes and drinking their "sonic drinks". These are indeed the people who need to move somewhere else and let the people who came to cheer on our wonderful players, cheerleaders, band, and indianettes sit where they can see everything going on and be able to stand for Cherokee without being criticized.

wacape

100+ Posts
81...YOU were not at fault. You should have remained standing and ignore the comments behind you. They could have easily gotten off their lazy backsides and stood up also. It's not like this is College Station. It's obvious these two weren't here for the game. :flaming:

Former NDNette

100+ Posts
We could be 16-0 and you're still going to have people complaining. I sit in Sec. D. There are quite a few older people in that section and some of them I'm amazed that they even make it up the steps, so give them a break. I've had people complain at away games about my standing up during Cherokee and one night I'd heard enough, I turned around and politely said either you need to stand up too, or maybe you should move because I paid for my ticket just like you did and I choose to stand up and participate. Never heard another word out of them.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Don't know where I will be sitting at the central game but if your behind me plan on standing and I will probably lose my voice again.I remember what happened at last years central game.

bandkid

Staff member
squaw said:

No need to. I spoke with two of our cheerleaders a few weeks ago (after either MCM or the Vidor game - I don't remember which).

Oddly enough, they said Cherokee was audible by the north end zones. Maybe it's just because they're on the track.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
bandkid said:
squaw said:

No need to. I spoke with two of our cheerleaders a few weeks ago (after either MCM or the Vidor game - I don't remember which).

Oddly enough, they said Cherokee was audible by the north end zones. Maybe it's just because they're on the track.

Diminished hearing could have something to do with the problem too.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Sometimes I wish I had diminished hearing!!! lol BTW, I need to be sure everyone understands what I meant about not hearing occurring when we got the new scoreboard. I meant the first new scoreboard, not the jumbotron one. Jim Westbrook even investigated it when he was on the board and came to the conclusion that the new sound system they installed was not as good as the previous one which we had for 50 some-odd years! By half of us not hearing Cherokee less and less fans in our area (Section E) are participating. We go to all the games, even out of town, and the difference is obvious. This hurts the entire football program, IMHO. In other words, we couldn't hear BEFORE the stadium was re-built. Also, hubby IS hard-of-hearing, not me! ;D

shovelhead

100+ Posts
I hadn't thought about the kids now using the propane tank noisemaker having NO recollection of the Stephenville game. I don't think I'll ever forget it, but these kids were just starting school then! I too, don't like them but its not about me. If the kids wanna make some noise, this not-yet-an-old-fart sees no problem with it. This season will be a good one to diminsh the Stephenville memory anyway! By the way, I too am in section D and stand and clap EVERY time Cherokee is played, even though it bothers the LA fans behind me. ;D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I know my hearing isn't what it used to be... :eek:ld:

The speakers from the previous sound system upgrade were added to the new scoreboard along with two other very large speakers. Those are serious speakers that are used in big time stadiums. How does it sound bad? And if the band has never been 'miked' for the sound system to pick up, how did the old system make it easier to hear?

One major difference with the new stadium is the underside of the home stands. I don't know much about acoustics but could the sound be bouncing off of that and across the field rather than down and up underneath stands? And the end zones stands are gone but there is still a very large scoreboard to help bounce the sound back.

bandkid

Staff member
Another thing to consider is the fact that the band is located further above the ground than it used to be. In the old stadium, the tops of the home and vistor's stands were even with each other, whereas now the top of the home side in the band section is well above that of the visitor's side. It's possible that the amount of sound bouncing off of those stands and back at the home side is reduced (especially since the brass section is located at the top of the band section and is above the top of the visitors' stands).

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores