Week 2 Top 20 - 5A DII

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
CLASS 5A DIVISION II

10 of the top 20 ranked teams lost last week. Typically from playing up with tough teams like North Shore, etc, but still very interesting.

RankTeam (Record)ChangeWeek 2
1Port Neches-Groves (1-0)↑1at Beaumont United (1-0)
2Dallas South Oak Cliff (0-1)↓1vs Duncanville (0-0)
3Argyle (0-1)vs Midlothian Heritage (0-1)
4Colleyville Heritage (1-0)↑2at Fort Worth Richland (1-0)
5Texarkana Texas (1-0)at Argyle Liberty Christian (1-0)
6San Antonio Alamo Heights (1-0)↓2vs San Antonio Churchill (1-0)
7Richmond Randle (1-0)at Alief Elsik (0-1)
8Corpus Christi Miller (1-0)↑10vs Seguin (0-1)
9Melissa (0-1)at Frisco (1-0)
10Liberty Hill (0-1)↓2vs Leander Rouse (1-0)
11Frisco Emerson (1-0)↑3at Frisco Reedy (1-0)
12Alvin Iowa Colony (1-0)at Crosby (0-1)
13Mansfield Timberview (1-0)↓2at Denton Ryan (1-0)
14Lubbock-Cooper (1-0)↑6vs Lubbock Coronado (1-0)
15Fort Bend Marshall (1-0)↓5at Dallas Skyline (1-0)
16Anna (0-1)↑3vs Gunter (1-0)
17Lucas Lovejoy (0-1)↓1at Highland Park (1-0)
18El Paso Del Valle (0-0)↑3at El Paso Franklin (1-0)
19Boerne (0-1)↑3vs Laredo United (1-0)
20Midlothian Heritage (0-1)↓3at Argyle (0-1)
21Huntsville (0-1)↓6vs Bryan (1-0)
22Brenham (1-0)↑6vs Houston Sterling (0-1)
23Texas City (1-0)↑3at Galveston Ball (1-0)
24Montgomery Lake Creek (0-1)↓11

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PN-G at the top where the defending state champions belong. No shame in SOC losing to North Shore. The Mustangs are loaded with D-I talent. Outside of Desoto and Duncanville, and maybe Summer Creek, I don't think there are many teams that could fare better against North Shore. Richmond Randle is probably ranked too low. The Lions could give teams ranked 1-6 all they could handle. Randle should be favored to win Region III and is a team to watch. Montgomery Lake Creek falling 11 spots is dumb. When the dust settles, they will be a top-10 team. Huntsville will bounce back, too.

CS

100+ Posts
I'm not sold on Huntsville but agree with the rest. And Liberty Hill at 10 is silly. I understand they played Cibolo but they fumbled what seemed to be about 7 times. They were the same old Liberty Hill.

90NDN

500+ Posts
While polls are nice, especially when your ranked #1 in the state, imo are only an indicator of your talent....but it's way to early to make polls this early. A better indicator would be after the preseason if you will is finished and you have played 2 district games...then let's see a poll.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Gordon Wood had a well known quote that I misplaced and have not found again. “Polls are nothing more than entertainment…” or similar.

As you said, it’s nice to be considered a great program and team, but that ranking and $5 will buy you a game program, not wins. (if they still print them.)

Players must earn it every day. Keep their grades up, eat right, sleep, pay attention, work hard during practice and workout sessions year round, and play with solid technique, heart and determination. Those are the things that champions do. The work matters first, then wins. Not rank.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
I'm not sold on Huntsville but agree with the rest. And Liberty Hill at 10 is silly. I understand they played Cibolo but they fumbled what seemed to be about 7 times. They were the same old Liberty Hill.
Yeah, there’s been quite a bit of silliness afoot with LH. While rankings don’t mean diddley, LH does consistently seem to get shown A LOT of favor in that department every year! Not to mention, this years realignment that makes ZERO sense but “conveniently” appears to benefit them!! :rolleyes: Maybe all that has nothing to do with the Deputy Director of the UIL living in LH and his SON being on the team. However it’s hard to ignore there seems to be an obvious effort to “manipulate” things in their favor…just saying!

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Agree with all
But all things said and done

I want to be number ONE

Texas High has talent they’re maybe 20 th in this division
They’d lose to the top 10-15 for sure
They just don’t have the discipline
One of the best RB s in the country (just a JR) and this SHOULD be their year but they seem to be like herding cats mentally.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Texas High COULD be super dangerous

They’re like owning a real tiger
They can look spectacular one second then go Sigfried and Roy the next.
They’re tough to watch as an alumni.
But I’m viewing against the best teams in the state including super disciplined PNG

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Agree with all
But all things said and done

I want to be number ONE

Texas High has talent they’re maybe 20 th in this division
They’d lose to the top 10-15 for sure
They just don’t have the discipline
One of the best RB s in the country (just a JR) and this SHOULD be their year but they seem to be like herding cats mentally.
Absolutely!! No matter what…being #1 sure feels NICE, especially knowing it’s been EARNED and WELL DESERVED!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores