What will Hurricane Ike do to the Season?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
storm_09

wtnt03.gif

234613W_sm.gif

234613.gif

GULFIR.JPG

two_atl.gif

IndianKen

INDIAN KEN #1 BAND FAN
I appreciate all the pictures, maps and predictions. I'll be glad when all this hurricane and himacaine business is over.
Hope we get to play in our new stadium this year. Indian Ken

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite storm site...

http://www.stormpulse.com

On the upper right of the page, turn on the Forecast Models option.

C4L

IndianFan said:

Cool... thanks for posting the link.

15PNG

500+ Posts
It's coming to AUSTIN!!!!! :rocks: Personally, we're all hoping it does, we need the rain BADLY. So while the game is going on, I'll be in the house listening to the game here. Assuming of course the power stays on and the radio broadcast isn't crappy like the last couple of weeks.

IndianKen

INDIAN KEN #1 BAND FAN
IndianFan said:

THANKS FOR THE STORM SITE. IT'S A VERY GOOD ONE. INDIANKEN

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Yeah, that one is my favorite one. And believe me when I tell you I've been watching them all......CLOSELY!

1.gif

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
Directly from the UIL website:

Football

For varsity football games impacted by evacuation resulting from Hurricane Ike, UIL will offer an exception to the five-day rule between games for varsity games only.

For a varsity football game impacted by evacuation in relation to Hurricane Ike, the varsity game could be played with as little as four days between contests, rather than five.

This exception does not apply to any sub-varsity or junior high games.

It is expected that exceptions to both the school week limitation and the calendar week limitation will be extended after the hurricane has passed. The extent of those exceptions will be determined and communicated once the impact of the storm is assessed.

Questions in regard to this correspondence or other UIL activities should be addressed to the UIL Athletic Office.

hookem_horns

Honor Pride Tradition
Looks like if we haven't heard anything yet, we'll probably try and play next week. Talked to a couple of players yesterday after practice and they haven't heard anything yet. Forecasts are calling for a decent chance of rain and wind for Friday here and I can only imagine conditions in TC.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Ike is going to nail the Houston area and pass right by me in NW Harris county with 100MPH winds.

Cities near Galveston are asked to evacuate. You don't want to be anywhere near Texas City or Houston over the next 3 days. :)

Texans flee low-lying areas as Ike turns toward Freeport
Galveston mayor urges evacuation of Isle's western end

By TERRI LANGFORD and LIZ PETERSON
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Sept. 11, 2008, 7:38AM

Hurricane Ike's turn toward the Houston area spurred emergency officials this morning to call for a mandatory evacuation of residents in areas that will be subject to a massive storm surge.

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett called for mandatory evacuations of low-lying areas starting at noon today. Those residents are in ZIP codes 77058, 77059, 77062, 77520, 77546, 77571, 77586 and 77598. They are in evacuation zones A and B.

Emmett asked all other Harris County residents to prepare to shelter in place, saying residents whose homes could be inundated by storm surges needed time and room to get to safety.

``The winds will blow and they'll howl and we'll get a lot of rain, but if you lose power and need to leave, you can do that later,'' he said.

If the hurricane remains on its current track, Emmett said, a 15-foot storm surge could hit areas around Galveston Bay.

"We're not talking about gently rising water," he said. "We're talking about a surge that will come into your homes."

People who will need assistance in evacuating should call 311. Those who already have registered for assistance by calling the previous 211 number do not need to re-register, officials said.

Ike's march through the Gulf of Mexico now appears headed toward Freeport, in Brazoria County, forcing mandatory evacuations in at least three counties south and east of Houston.

Emmett said a decision on when to facilitate the evacuation by shifting the area's highways to exclusively outbound traffic will be made after this evening's rush hour.

Houston Mayor Bill White this morning urged all employers to give their employees the day off on Friday unless their presence is essential. He also called on all school districts that have not already suspended classes on Friday to do so.

Patients at the University of Texas Medical Branch were being prepared this morning for evacuation from Galveston Island, where a mandatory evacuation is in effect on the western end, and state aircraft began making a visual sweep of the Texas coastline to look at where more efforts could be made to remove residents from the area.

"The bottom line: It continues to move to the east and to the north, with impact along the Brazoria-Matagorda County line," said Walt Zaleski, meteorologist at the National Weather Service's Fort Worth office, late Wednesday. "That doesn't mean it will continue to do that."

But if it does, the Houston-Galveston area would be on what is considered the rougher, "dirty side" of a Category 4 hurricane, bringing with it storm surges of up to 20 feet in some areas.

At 4 a.m. today, the storm was 525 miles southeast of Galveston, moving at 9 mph on a west-northwesterly track, according to the National Weather Service. Maximum sustained winds were near 100 mph, with higher gusts.

Hurricane-force winds were extending 115 miles outward from Ike's center, the weather service reported, and tropical storm-force winds were extending 255 miles out.

"This is a big storm," Zaleski said.

Mandatory evacuations have been called for Brazoria County, areas south of Texas 35 and the Blessing area of Matagorda County and low-lying areas of Chambers County.

By late Wednesday afternoon, state and county officials, huddled together on a conference call, tried to make sense out of Ike's sudden 50-mile jump to the north and its widening cone. However, Jack Colley, chief of the Governor's Division of Emergency Management, assured city, county and state officials that no area along the coast would be without resources to get residents out.

''We're not going to chase Ike,'' he said. ''We're trying to position, reposition, reorganize."

Since Hurricane Rita in 2005, Colley's network of public officials and private business, particularly those from the grocery and fuel industries, has been tested with several smaller storms and emergencies. The strategy is simple: Once a hurricane or tropical storm is 120 hours away from Texas, a countdown clock begins.

Colley's team begins moving fuel and supplies to areas expected to be hit and then gradually pulling back and supplying the evacuation routes. The idea is that no one wants to see a repeat of the disastrous Hurricane Rita evacuation, in which it took too long to contraflow the highways — routing all traffic away from the storm — and too many Texans evacuated, choking the state's prized highway system and depleting all gas stations for days.

Ike is expected to be the biggest test for Texas since Rita. Despite being in a region already fatigued by the number of storm alerts and near misses, Ike's uncertain path has grabbed the attention of most residents in the Houston-Galveston area.

''I think, with each little ratchet up in our direction, people are going 'That's going to change things,' '' said Emmett.

Some residents debated whether to stay or go.

Bingo Cosby, owner of a surf shop in Surfside Beach, said Wednesday that he planned to ride out the blow. "I'm going to go upstairs above my shop with my two guns and protect my property," he said.

"Besides, the storm isn't coming here," he said confidently. "I went out on the jetty last night and prayed that it would just turn around."

But Darrin Hebert, who lives in Freeport and works for a sandblasting company, said he was getting out of town. "I've never left for a storm before," he said, "but I just got the feeling that this is going to be the bad one."

Hebert hitched a ride to Angleton, where people without their own transportation were boarding buses headed for shelters.

Rush on hurricane supplies
The number of people evacuating is expected to intensify today.

To ease any crush of traffic, the Texas Department of Transportation cleared debris and opened extra lanes for traffic heading away from the coast.

In the event Ike gets mean, 7,500 National Guard troops have been activated and are moving into position, and 1,350 passenger buses are standing by to help evacuations.

Gov. Rick Perry ordered state agencies to continue to gear up for the storm and advised citizens to stay alert.

A rush on hurricane supplies was reported at several coastal-area stores, as shoppers stocked up on batteries, bottled water and plywood to cover windows.

"A lot of people are getting edgy," said Javier Moreno, an assistant store manager at a Home Depot in Corpus Christi.

As trucks pulled in with more wood, passengers were lined up waiting for it, he said.

Nueces County Judge Loyd Neal said there would be no mandatory evacuation, but people should take steps to ensure their safety.

"If you want to get out of harm's way, do it now," Neal said.

Residents were told they would be on their own during the hurricane and neither the Red Cross nor the government would be operating shelters before the storm.

Hundreds leave Corpus
Buses to San Antonio were provided free of charge to all those who could not make it out of town on their own.

Manuel Castellanos, 48, and his girlfriend Grace Garcia, 43, were among the hundreds of Corpus Christi residents who gathered at a downtown senior citizens center to board evacuation buses.

Clutching a white stuffed bear, Castellanos said he and Garcia decided to flee their low-lying home on the city's South Side because "there's no telling what may happen. I don't want to take no chances."

In Chambers County, officials ordered residents to evacuate the flood-prone areas bordering Galveston and Trinity Bay.

"We are expecting a possible 4-foot to 8-foot storm surge that could put some areas underwater," said Ryan Holzaepfel, who heads the county's emergency management.

Contributing to this report were the Associated Press and Chronicle staff writers Dane Schiller in Houston, Harvey Rice in Galveston, Richard Stewart in Brazoria County, Cindy Horswell in Chambers County, Rick Dunham in Washington and San Antonio Express-News writer Lisa Sandberg in Corpus Christi.

terri.langford@chron.com

liz.peterson@chron.com
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5993388.html

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I'm hearing expectations of sustained 100 mph winds for a 12 - 24 hour period and a 20' surge. Looks like Lake Arthur is going to have meaning. I hope the stadium makes it through. I hope my house makes it through. I don't have flood insurance.

Good luck to all of you who have evacuated. I'm in the Dallas area.

Hey, is Dallas home Sunday? I might need the distraction. I've never been to a live pro football game.

Also, where can I find the new stadium. I'd like to get pictures if I can make time while I'm up here.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
pngfan93 said:
I'm hearing expectations of sustained 100 mph winds for a 12 - 24 hour period and a 20' surge. Looks like Lake Arthur is going to have meaning. I hope the stadium makes it through. I hope my house makes it through. I don't have flood insurance.

Good luck to all of you who have evacuated. I'm in the Dallas area.

Hey, is Dallas home Sunday? I might need the distraction. I've never been to a live pro football game.

Also, where can I find the new stadium. I'd like to get pictures if I can make time while I'm up here.

They're saying in the City of Houston/Harris County press conference that the storm surge in Port Arthur is predicted to top 20' and go over the 17' sea wall with flooding in South and Mid-County.

Dallas plays Philadelphia on Monday night.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/gameday/schedule.cfm

Cowboy Stadium is in Arlington near I-30 (Tom Landry Hwy) and N. Collins Street. Just down the street from the the Rangers Ballpark.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
I don't know who took these or I would give them credit on here. I got these as text messages on my cell phone. THey are of the boat ramps at Port Neches Park taken sometime on Friday before the storm came in.

web.jpg

web.jpg

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Power outages are happening, per the Entergy website.

I have to commend KFDM and KBTV for their coverage so far...video reports and streaming live video.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores