What will Hurricane Ike do to the Season?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Supposedly, the above images are a hoax. I have two more that a family member took today. I have one ready now. The other is not wanting to transfer from my cell phone to my computer. I will put the other one up as soon as I can.

web.jpg

EDIT: Here's the other picture.

web.jpg

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
KFDM has done an outstanding job through landfall with their streaming. Still the question of wind damage but this appears to be great news!

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Yes, the reports are that the levees in Port Arthur held up well and that the water is now receding. I hear that as of now, the damage is less than Rita's but that is just a priliminary observation. I hope that everyone is staying safe. God Bless.

15PNG

500+ Posts
Family member said that they heard something about a fire in Port Neches? Anyone hear anything about that?

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
This is a general/preliminary assessment of our area from KFDM.com. And yes, last night there was a house fire in Port Neches...read below..

Initial reports from Groves indicate that there is no storm surge damage. However, they do have downed trees, downed power lines and no electricity. FD Chief Dale Jackson advised that they have not found any levy or surge problems. Mayor Brad Bailey asked that citizens shelter in place until given the all clear. They have low hanging lines, downed lines and no medical assistance at this time.

Reports from Nederland FD Chief Gary Collins state that the bay doors at the FD itself were blown in and they will have to cut some of the emergency equipment out of the station. There are many downed power lines and trees. There is no electricity in the area. Water and Sewer is down. No medical assistance at this time.

Reports from Port Neches FD Chief Steve Curran indicates that they have observed downed trees, power lines, fences, carports, etc. There is no electricity. Water and Sewer is down. Pt. Neches also responded to a house fire at 8:00 p.m. last night in the 2100 block of Tenth Street. The firefighters were able to rescue 6 people from the home and shelter them during the storm. The cause of the fire was misuse of a generator.

The seawall in Port Arthur held back the storm surge. There appears to be no extensive flooding except for Sabine Pass which has extensive flooding. The south end of Pleasure Island has some flooding. On the north end of the Pleasure Island water seems to be receding. Police personnel are unable to access Pleasure Island due to high winds. Tropical Storm winds are still high in the City and all of the City is without power.

Mayor Prince has issued an order banning the sale of alcohol in the City until further notice. If you are in the City stay in your homes and do not ride around. Police and Fire personnel are trying to assess the damage. Do not return to the City if you have evacuated. Re-entry into the City of Port Arthur is prohibited at this time. We will be posting updates as soon as they become available.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Ch. 6 reporting that Entergy is saying that it will take a month to get power back to everyone. They will be starting with the areas with the most people first -- that means Houston.

How's everyone doing?

ndnwarrior

hey png93, this is Andrew's (former NDN Spirit) dad, unable to get home, but heard groves was hardly damaged at all. can you confirm that? I've heard at least 3 to 4 weeks out before power is restored. God Bless everyone...our thoughts and prayers are with you.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
pngfan93 said:
Ch. 6 reporting that Entergy is saying that it will take a month to get power back to everyone. They will be starting with the areas with the most people first -- that means Houston.

How's everyone doing?

I don't think that Entergy services Houston, Centerpoint does. However there are a number of folks out of power in Conroe/Woodlands. We'll see.

Doing fine here so far.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Out of the 2.16 million households in the Houston area, I'm fortunate to be in the .16 million that has power. We were only out from 4:30am-10:30am Saturday morning.

Centerpoint Energy is also saying 1 month for full restoration. Even if they padded the estimate it will be hellish conditions here in the Houston metro area for the 5 million people affected. No power also means no working gas pumps.

Sounds like Orange County was devastated. Relatives in Bridge City got 7+ feet of water in their home.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
ndnwarrior said:
hey png93, this is Andrew's (former NDN Spirit) dad, unable to get home, but heard groves was hardly damaged at all. can you confirm that? I've heard at least 3 to 4 weeks out before power is restored. God Bless everyone...our thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm in Fort Worth right now. Sorry not to be of any help.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
FEMA just called my mother-i-law to inform her that they would NOT be covering her hotel expenses for the evacuation. She will keep trying with them. I hope she can get it over turned. They said that her insurance policy would cover it. She will not be able to confirm that until we get back.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
In my case, I have A.L.E. (additional living expenses) coverage in my policiy, as most do, but I don't think I will meet my deductable. In that case, according to the FEMA dude on ch6., FEMA should reimburse, but nothing can done until I'm denied pmt by my ins. carrier.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
This is really strange, relatives of mine got calls from FEMA today saying that they WOULD cover hotel expenses from Sept 14 if you are unable to return to your dwelling do to power outage.

I just assume for and prepare for payment out of pocket or insurance, if FEMA covers so be it, but I only rely on the fedz for military defense, the states for good roads, and local Drainage District 7 for a one heck of a levee/seawall ;)

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
This is really strange, relatives of mine got calls from FEMA today saying that they WOULD cover hotel expenses from Sept 14 if you are unable to return to your dwelling do to power outage.

I just assume for and prepare for payment out of pocket or insurance, if FEMA covers so be it, but I only rely on the fedz for military defense, the states for good roads, and local Drainage District 7 for a one heck of a levee/seawall ;)

I got the same call today too

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Nederland ISD is bringing staff back on Wednesday, and students back on Thursday.

The following is from the PNG ISD website:

September 17 Update:

Work continues on PNGISD cleanup and repairs resulting from Hurricane Ike.

No date has been set for employees to return to work or for students to return to class. A return to school date will not be announced until the cities of Port Neches, Groves and Port Arthur lift the mandatory evacuation orders for persons living in PNGISD and until Entergy restores power to all campuses in the District.

The District will remain closed the remainder of this week. Administration officials will reassess campus conditions on Monday of next week.

Employees, parents, and students should monitor the District website for information related to the return to school.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
ndnwarrior said:

Groves looks really good. NOTHING compared to Rita. Mainly an inconvienience do to lack of utilities.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores