Word on the street is....

pngfan1

Is that this guy applied:

Repeating is a hard thing to do. For pulling it off, Texas sportswriters voted Tatum's Andy Evans the Coach of the Year for the second straight season.

Evans, who won the 3A coach of the year last season when he led Tatum to the 3A DII title last year, took Tatum to the 2A DI title this year.

Record at Tatum:

YEAR DISTRICT W L T COACH
2007 19-AA 13 2 0 Andy Evans
2006 19-AA 13 2 0 Andy Evans
2005 16-AAA 15 0 0 Andy Evans
2004 16-AAA 12 2 0 Andy Evans

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
The drop in classification suggests that he went 15-0 in 2005 with one of the smaller schools in 3A.

akifan94

500+ Posts
kfdmcoop said:
He didn't do as well this year!

http://www468.pair.com/tpihost/fbsch_08/dispteam.php?team=tatum

He also was back in 3A and the smallest school in the district. It looks like they still made the playoffs.

badndn

500+ Posts
That would be Andy Evans former Head man for East Chambers.

John Raffel, Special to USAFootball.com
October 22, 2007

TATUM HAS WON TWO STRAIGHT FOOTBALL titles in Texas, and Eagles head coach Andy Evans is confident good times will stay around awhile for his gridiron program.

The Eagles won the 2A title in 2006 with a 32-14 victory over Littlefield. They had won the 3A Division II title in 2005 before going down to 2A.

Evans concluded his third successful season with Tatum. The team was 12-2 his first season and lost in the state semifinals. They were 15-0 his second season and 13-2 in his third season for a pair of state championships.

When Evans arrived, the school had enjoyed some winning success. But he was able to take it up one more level.

"They had been in the playoffs 19 of the last 20 years," he said. "They were in one state championship game in 1992. When I came to Tatum, they had good athletes and always had a strong tradition in football."

The tradition went up a few notches when Evans came.

"Through all three years, we had enough skilled kids to win it," Evans said. "Both years, our offensive line has improved so much. They've been improving all three years. We've traditionally been able to move the ball."

Tatum has established a strong passing game under Evans' leadership.

"We try to be balanced," he said. "We try to take whatever people give us. We had a great running back, who had 1,200 yards as a sophomore. Last year, he had 2,900 yards. He's finished with more than 6,000 yards for three years."

The future looks bright for Evans and his Tatum team.

"Our quarterback who has won two state championships, Cashas Pollard, is back,” Evans said. “We have our top defensive back returning in Bryce Beaull, who had 167 tackles last season.

"We have good athletes here year in and year out," Evans said. "When we won the 3A championship, we were the second to smallest school in 3A. He had 392 kids that year. We were three kids over the limit. Now we're over 400 kids and we're at 2A."

Tatum, with a population of 12,000, is in the northeast part of the state and is two hours from Dallas. But the grid program has established Tatum as a hot spot for the sport across the football-crazy state.

It's Evans' 19th season of coaching. He had coached at East Chambers in Winnie, Texas, the southeast part of the state. It was a 2A school.

"We made the playoffs three straight years," Evans said.

But Tatum was a place Evans decided he wanted to be at.

"I had coached at East Chambers for 13 years," said Evans, who is full-time athletic director at Tatum. "I thought it was time to move. I'll keep going as long as I can. In 11 years, I'll have 30 years in. I'll go at least that long."

Evans grew up in a high school football family, giving him more than enough motivation.

"I grew up in a football community with my dad," he said. "My dad (Joe Evans) has been involved in coaching for 53 years. He's one of my assistants.

"I always thought that I wanted to coach basketball but I ended up in football and track. I didn't have any claim to fame as a player. My ability has been to motivate kids."

Tatum the 5 years before Evans:
Year W L T Coach
2003 16-AAA 8 5 0 Mike Sorenson
2002 16-AAA 8 3 0 Mike Sorenson
2001 16-AAA 4 6 0 Mike Sorenson
2000 16-AAA 8 3 0 Mike Sorenson
1999 16-AAA 7 4 0 John Crawford
1998 16-AAA 10 3 0 John Crawford

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
I didn't realize there was a whole thread dedicated to Andy. I had posted this in the No Long, No Application thread...

I think that is great if Andy applied. He is a great coach and can turn a program around; he has several state championships under his belt. His father Joe Evans is also a wonderful football and track coach and can get the best out of kids that you did not expect to have much talent.

However, I am not sure that is true because his parents put their home on the market in Anahuac to move to Tatum so they could be closer to the grandchildren. His Dad, Joe Evans, often follows him and helps out with the students because Andy has great respect for his coaching philosophy.

Both Andy and his Dad have the ability to motivate students. It would be an honor to have them at PNG. I think I will make a phone call to see if I can confirm this rumor!

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
We called to talk to his parents last night, but they were out. I hope to talk to them before the weekend is over. I think Andy got his Masters at Lamar, but that was so long ago I can't be positive. I will confirm for sure.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
TravelingNDN said:
How many Division 1 signees did he have during his state title run?

I think he had one the first state title and also one while he was at East Chambers, but you know I only half listen to those conversations and I have slept since then. I remember him and his Dad talking about D1 being injured before the playoffs and they were hoping he would be healthy enough to play for the finals. But I do not remember if that conversation was when he was at East Chambers or at Tatum.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
It must have been Tatum. I did a google search...

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/moore_denarius00.html

Cut and past if this didn't highlight as a URL.

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
Here's another article on Andy that was SETXsport.com last year.

Anahuac native leads Tatum to title game

By Dave Rogers

Published December 15, 2007 - Updated 22 minutes ago

Andy Evans couldn’t imagine a better time or place to grow up than in Chambers County in the 1970s.

He’s a native of Anahuac who graduated from high school there.

“Anahuac was a great place to grow up,” he recalled Thursday. “I had a great group of kids and I liked to fish and water ski. We were surrounded by water, so it was a great place to grow up.”

Evans spent his middle school “Wonder Years” attending school at Barbers Hill when his father coached there in the last half of the decade.

Those truly were Wonder Years.

“I can remember when Barbers Hill won the state championship,” he said of the 17-8 win over DeLeon for the 1976 Class A title.

“I went to those games and I was in the press box with my dad the night they beat DeLeon and we won it.

“What I remember about Barbers Hill was that every kid that ever went there when I was there talked about the tradition Barbers Hill had. There were expectations, if you grew up there, that they were going to have great teams every year.

“Even today, when I hear the Barbers Hill fight song, I want to stand up and sing.”

Fast forward three decades and little has changed at Anahuac (it’s still surrounded by water) or Barbers Hill (except the Eagles compete in Class 4A now).

And those high expectations ride with Evans and his father now in east Texas.

Tonight in Corsicana, Andy Evans will lead the team from Tatum, a town of 1,200 located 20 miles south of Longview, into the Class 2A Division I state championship football game against Farmersville.

Tatum and Evans will be going for their third straight state championship win, after taking the 3A-Division II title in 2005 and 2A-Division I crown last winter.

“We’ve been really fortunate, I can tell you that,” says the soft-spoken coach who is 53-5 in not quite four seasons at Tatum and 124-33 overall in 13 years as a head coach.

Having previously coached East Chambers to nine playoff berths in as many years, he’s a perfect 13 for 13 in qualifying his team for the post-season.

And he’s done it all with his dad, Joe Evans, by his side.

“I never thought I’d do anything but be a coach,” he says. “My mom was a teacher, Dad was a coach, so I grew up in the school business.

“I knew I wanted to coach from the time I was little bitty.

I really scrambled to get out of college so I could coach together with my dad for one year.

“It ended up I’ve been coaching with him for 20 years now.”

When Andy was just starting school, Joe was coaching on the staff of Elmer Thompson in Anahuac.

“When Thompson left Anahuac to take a job in Mexia, my dad promised my mother he would not ask her to move again,” the younger Evans said. “Out of loyalty to coach Thompson, he didn’t stay in Anahuac, but he took a junior high job in Barbers Hill.”

Joe Evans was on Carroll “Pudgie” Richardson’s staff at Barbers Hill for the 1976 title team, then spent two years as Barbers Hill head coach after Richardson departed.

“Then he retired the first time,” said Andy. “He’s been retired about five times.”

Joe came out of retirement when Andy graduated from college and was an assistant at Anahuac for three years. Then Joe followed Andy to Winnie for another assistant’s job at East Chambers High in 1990. He continued the commute after Andy was promoted to head coach in 1995.

Joe Evans, now 74, followed his son to Tatum and for three years commuted nearly 100 miles a day from his fishing cabin.

“I’ve been fortunate that everybody who’s hired me was willing to hire my dad, too,” said Andy.

Joe, who coaches Tatum’s tight ends and defensive backs, finally abandoned the commuting about a year ago, buying a new home and moving he and wife Mary Ann near the job.

Don’t look for any of the Evanses to depart Tatum any time soon.

Though the town is small, its school district thrives on revenues generated by lignite coal mining and a power plant that serves the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Since Evans arrived in 2004, at the behest of a former East Chambers principal turned Tatum superintendent, the district has spent nearly $10 million on athletic facilities.

There’s new artificial turf on the football field and a basketball coliseum that’s a carbon copy of the one at Angelina College in Lufkin. An indoor football practice field nearly 70 yards long is in the plans.

Then there’s the players.

“We’ve got phenomenal athletes,” Andy Evans said.

And their post-grad success backs him up.

Tennessee signed running back Bryce Beal and wide receiver Darrius Moore off last year’s team. Former quarterback Stephen Hodge is a starting linebacker for TCU and two other ex-Eagles signed with Houston.

Chance Blackmon, a receiver on this year’s team, has committed to sign with Colorado.

Running back Bryce Beal, a 1,900-yard rusher who also leads the team in tackles as a linebacker, and quarterback Cashas Pollard lead this year’s team. Pollard, 41-5 as a starter, would be the second-winningest quarterback in Texas schoolboy history with a win tonight.

You can be the ‘winningest’ at a lot of things when you win 91 percent of the time, as the Eagles have under Evans, whose EC teams never got past the second round of the playoffs.

“What’s happened the last three years is probably the most humbling experience of my life,” Evans said.

“I think everybody dreams of getting to coach in one state championship game in their life. For us to get to coach in three is just unbelievable.”

TravelingNDN

PNGIndianFan06 said:
TravelingNDN said:
How many Division 1 signees did he have during his state title run?

I think he had one the first state title and also one while he was at East Chambers, but you know I only half listen to those conversations and I have slept since then. I remember him and his Dad talking about D1 being injured before the playoffs and they were hoping he would be healthy enough to play for the finals. But I do not remember if that conversation was when he was at East Chambers or at Tatum.

Why dont you check again. I think he had roughly 10 in those state runs. He had 3 last year. I think talent had a little to do with how good they were. 5-6 after the graduation of some really talented kids. Interesting how that works out.....

PNGIndianFan06

100+ Posts
REAL OR RUMOR...this proves to be rumor.

Yesterday, we finally got to talk with Joe Evans, Andy's Dad, and he said this is not true. Andy has not applied for the position of AD/HC and that he is perfectly content at Tatum. Matter of fact he said if Tatum ask him to leave in the near future he would not leave that area, but leave his kids in the Tatum schools until they graduated; which is a while because the youngest is still in elementary. He said he would move to the classroom or find another job in the area but not leave. He said being a kid of a coach he got so tired of moving around that he did not want to do that to his kids.

However, Joe and Andy both said the the PNG position is a great opportunity and any coach looking to relocate would be honored to be involved with the PNG program. They said PNG is still greatly respected across the state.

Gumbeaux

Thanks for that post....

I would still think that the Gilmer coach would be interested....Anyone know anything on this guy....

badndn

500+ Posts
Gumbeaux said:
Thanks for that post....

I would still think that the Gilmer coach would be interested....Anyone know anything on this guy....
I know that he is in his dream job (he is from Gilmer) and is well paid for it. He also has most of his team returning next year and should be a favorite for another state title. He ain't leaving Gilmer. I would love to have him though.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores