2012 PNG INDIANS

Longbow

Yes, you are right. I think that they adjust to the increased speed pretty naturally unless they are quickly brought to the varsity level from a lower-level and and just thrown into the mix. As far as back-ups not getting alot of playing time it really is a down side however, as a back-up you are always one play away from being a starter. That's a tough situation.

pbg1990

I have to agree with you pngdad8420 that Eli is a better QB than Ashworth, That's the same thing we been saying that Eddie Cervantez is a better QB than A J Smith, By no means I'm not taking nothing Away from A J and Ashworth, But realistically both Cervantez and Vasquez don't have the height Coach BF is looking for. Who knows, stranger things have happen, Will just have to wait and see. I heard a rumor that Beaumont Ozen junior QB Jordan Ozen is transferring to PNG school district for next year? He is about 6-3?. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Longbow

I think that is Clifton Ozen's grandson if I'm not mistaken. If he leaves that school I would really be surprised. Moreover, if he did transfer there is no possible way he could quarterback our varsity team on such short notice. Our offense is very complicated and the learning of that offense takes much longer than he would have time for.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that you can't start the year you transfer in. Someone told me also that the Ozen boy is coming and he's also a great basketball player so maybe he'll transfer before this school year is over.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
squaw said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that you can't start the year you transfer in. Someone told me also that the Ozen boy is coming and he's also a great basketball player so maybe he'll transfer before this school year is over.

I think the issue is whether or not he transferred for athletic reasons or not. If someone can correct me, go ahead.

pngdad8520

100+ Posts
If the student comes in due to a parent or guardain that he lives with moves into the district he is ok to play... same thing with Pevato a few years ago.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
I tried to decipher the UIL rules on school transfers. If you move into another district or school within the same district you do not have to wait to play sports. I think, if correct, you don't even have to have a district meeting with the coaches to vote on yes or no if they can play. So if the parents move into the district because of work, transfer or other cases then the student athlete is not held back from competing in sports competitions or being on a athletic or UIL sponsored school event.

So in other words, if his parents move into the PNGISD school district for work or housing etc, and he is not moved here for athletic reasons, then he is eligible to play or participate in school and UIL sanctioned Event's. It is up to the school district to determine eligibility on each transfer.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
I tried to decipher the UIL rules on school transfers. If you move into another district or school within the same district you do not have to wait to play sports. I think, if correct, you don't even have to have a district meeting with the coaches to vote on yes or no if they can play. So if the parents move into the district because of work, transfer or other cases then the student athlete is not held back from competing in sports competitions or being on a athletic or UIL sponsored school event.

So in other words, if his parents move into the PNGISD school district for work or housing etc, and he is not moved here for athletic reasons, then he is eligible to play or participate in school and UIL sanctioned Event's. It is up to the school district to determine eligibility on each transfer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I believe this is correct - the only objection could come from the AD at the school/district they are leaving. We had something like this a couple years ago with a Ned. kid. We will be the next Ned. - meaning an influx of student/athletes from Districts in poor areas. Really, how can you fault a parent wanting better for their child. The problem is if they are a great athlete, someone who has been playing that position from grade 7-10 just lost his position. That kinda sucks.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
If they move to the district for any reason other than athletics, and they were on varsity, they have to sit out a few weeks. I am not sure if it is 3 or 6 weeks. Peveto fell into this category,even though the Orangefield coach tried to make it hard on him.

If they move for athletic reasons, the former coach has to approve their participation. 2 years ago we had a softball player move to Nederland because of a personality conflict with coach. Our coach did not approve the transfer and the student had to sit out 1 year in order to be eligible to play.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
If they move to the district for any reason other than athletics, and they were on varsity, they have to sit out a few weeks. I am not sure if it is 3 or 6 weeks. Peveto fell into this category,even though the Orangefield coach tried to make it hard on him.

If they move for athletic reasons, the former coach has to approve their participation. 2 years ago we had a softball player move to Nederland because of a personality conflict with coach. Our coach did not approve the transfer and the student had to sit out 1 year in order to be eligible to play.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sounds like you know -
If they transfer in the Spring - they can play that Fall
If they transfer during the season the sit out 3 weeks or a season - depending on the previous coache

pngfan66

500+ Posts
The UIL and then the district rules are so unclear at times its crazy. I think if a parent moves because of job related issues then I don't see a coach at another school being able to dictate if their kids can participate in sports or not. If it was me and a coach or AD at the old school tried to stop one of my kids from playing they would not like the problems I would create for them. JMO.

bark

1,000+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
The UIL and then the district rules are so unclear at times its crazy. I think if a parent moves because of job related issues then I don't see a coach at another school being able to dictate if their kids can participate in sports or not. If it was me and a coach or AD at the old school tried to stop one of my kids from playing they would not like the problems I would create for them. JMO.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Probably right

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Personally I think next years team will be very good. When you take a look at the team and see how many we have returning I get excited. Not all returners were starters, but alot of the boys did get alot of significant play time. I think on the O side we have 5 who started returning and I think the same on the D side. I think our D will be very stout again. Some movements of players to different spots is a rumor I've heard as well. Spring ball is coming up so that will tell us alot. My gut tells me we will have a very good team.

Most if not all the boys are going in 4 days a week working out at 630 in the morning for powerlifing, then during athletics they work out and then after that they stay til around 430-5 for track work out too. I've seen some big boys out there. Rumor is that our O tackles will be in the 6'3" range. We have 3 returning on the O line itself. Reasons is one of em. He has gotten bigger. I think its just wait and see what happens in Spring ball.

Any word on transfers coming in ?

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Wow after last nights banquet I didn't realize how many kids we have coming back, lots are just Sophomores. Looks like a great team again next year. Some slots to fill but not a rebuilding year, just a RE-LOADING YEAR !

PNG267

I don't know if someone corrected this already or not, but Antonio Arvie is a senior this year, not a junior. He has little brothers, but the Arvie everyone saw this year is gone.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
Yeah I know he is a senior this year, to bad, would have liked to see another year out of him running the ball. I've seen his little brother run the ball in a Freshman game. Super fast and great jukes and moves. Looks like a potential awesome back for the Tribe. Looked like he had great break away speed. Now, I've only seen him play in one game. Maybe someone on here has seen him play more who can give a more valuable opinion.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Disappointing, if true...if so, then "next one up to be the Indians' kicker"...ready for spring football...open competition for playing time.

Go Indians. Peace.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores