a look at the 20-4A playoffs scene

pngfan66

500+ Posts
1IDPURPLEMONSTER said:
Are you kidding me, people on here must watch the NDN's through purple colored glasses! We were one play / 10 seconds away from losing this one. At the end of the first half we gave them the ball on their own 13 yard line with 57 seconds on the clock. They drove the ball down to our 4 yard line and ran out of time, that would have given them 7 more going in at half time, final score would have been 42-39. I know, I'm going to hear about what ifs, but you can not give up 35 points at home, period. Yes, the changes are a start, but we have to play better on D. We used to go over to LCM beat'em up, eat all their food and date their women, and would never let them come over here and score 35 points. The only fight they ever came close to winning was when the bear blindsided the spirit, and they still didn't win that one. Let's take off the purple colored glasses and quit pampering these guys, they are no longer mama's boys, they are Indian Warriors, who go to battle every week and need to kick a$$e$.
Purple colored glasses ? come on ! get real, we have been on this board talking about problems with the D since the Alamodome. We are not sugar coating or pampering any of these boys. I think you have to realize that LCM is a good team this year and we beat them ! The D held them several times and stopped them from scoring before the half. So look at the way the game of football is played are realize the D won that battle before the half. Then the second half we won the battle as well, why do I say that ? because we won the game ! The D has improved tremendously since the beginning of the season and they are coming on strong when they need it the most ! in district ! Some folks get on here and complain about little johnny isn't getting to play. Well that issue was addressed and hopefully put to rest. Now this yet again. If you can't see that the D has improved over 100% since the Alamodome then you have total black out glasses on ! These players have the desire and heart to win and now its coming together more and more. I think your on here just wanting to start some negative crap. If your a true NDN fan then you would see what almost all the rest of us see and thats a drastically improved defense. I would have to say that our D was one of the bigger reasons we beat LCM ! Our D forced turnovers, held them numerous times and made them punt, held them on the goal line and stopped them. Go back and watch the game. Then come back on here and be a positive poster. Thats what our boys need ! Encouragement, support not your negativity. Oh and if you have the galls then go join the booster club and attend the meetings and confront the coaches. You know what, this could go on for several pages with me ranting about your post, but its time to look and respond with those fans who are supporters of PNG !

png tribe

100+ Posts
Going into this game I figured whoever had the ball last would win. Our defense played a lot better and had more stop's than I thought they would have. LCM has a really strong and balanced offense and our defense just battled all night. The defense made a critical stop at the end of the game when it counted. I've been critical of the defense all season but I felt like they did a very good jon. Anyone that talk's a lot of crap this week is just trying to stir the pot. They did enough to win the game and that's what count's. We're in good position now and we can't get comfortable and lay an egg next week. I feel like were getting on a roll. The coaches have made a lot of adjustment's and different personnel changes. They are doing everything that they possibly can. These kid's are not gonna quit. I think they have finally realized that this is a new season and no one is going lay down because they are the mighty Indian's. Good job men and coaches and let's go have another good week of practice.

hookem14

100+ Posts
png tribe said:
Going into this game I figured whoever had the ball last would win. Our defense played a lot better and had more stop's than I thought they would have. LCM has a really strong and balanced offense and our defense just battled all night. The defense made a critical stop at the end of the game when it counted. I've been critical of the defense all season but I felt like they did a very good jon. Anyone that talk's a lot of crap this week is just trying to stir the pot. They did enough to win the game and that's what count's. We're in good position now and we can't get comfortable and lay an egg next week. I feel like were getting on a roll. The coaches have made a lot of adjustment's and different personnel changes. They are doing everything that they possibly can. These kid's are not gonna quit. I think they have finally realized that this is a new season and no one is going lay down because they are the mighty Indian's. Good job men and coaches and let's go have another good week of practice.
Good post

NDN79

500+ Posts
To be fair, I think that we have expected too much from our defense at times. The offensive schemes that are run in football today (high school, college, and the pro's) are very advanced. Just look at some of the top college games that are played each week--both offenses are usually very strong and the team that wins has their defense just make a couple of key stops. There are rarely shut-outs when 2 good teams play each other. Look at the top 4A and 5A teams in Texas--they have great offensive numbers but give up a lot of yards on defense..i.e. Lake Travis, Kerrville Tivy,Katy,Denton Ryan,Southlake Carroll in the past. It is definitely an offensive driven game now.
I think the coaches are making great adjustments and the players are improving and doing their best, and that's all that we can ask of them. I wouldn't be surprised if we went a little further in the play-offs this year.Our offense is definitely better than it was last year, and our defense will make the stops when it counts.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
NDN79 said:
To be fair, I think that we have expected too much from our defense at times. The offensive schemes that are run in football today (high school, college, and the pro's) are very advanced. Just look at some of the top college games that are played each week--both offenses are usually very strong and the team that wins has their defense just make a couple of key stops. There are rarely shut-outs when 2 good teams play each other. Look at the top 4A and 5A teams in Texas--they have great offensive numbers but give up a lot of yards on defense..i.e. Lake Travis, Kerrville Tivy,Katy,Denton Ryan,Southlake Carroll in the past. It is definitely an offensive driven game now.
I think the coaches are making great adjustments and the players are improving and doing their best, and that's all that we can ask of them. I wouldn't be surprised if we went a little further in the play-offs this year.Our offense is definitely better than it was last year, and our defense will make the stops when it counts.
DITTO ! Good post !

badndn

500+ Posts
pngfan66 said:
I think I read somewhere that if we go D-1 we would end up playing Dayton in the first round. I thought Dayton was a smaller school. The Bi-district race there seems to be Dayton, Barbers Hill, Crosby and Galena park. GP ?

Those four teams are pretty much in from 19-4A. Thus Dayton and BH would be DII. IF we make the playoffs as a DI, then we would most likely be the DI #2 (Central being #1), that would pit us against Crosby most likely since they beat Galena Park.

pngfan66

500+ Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I would prefer we not meet Dayton in the playoffs. They seem to have our number. I think our better position would be to play Crosby again.

1IDPURPLEMONSTER

Look folks I certainly don't have an agenda when I post on this site. As for stating that I am being negative, if stating facts is being negative then I am being negative. Let me throw out the question for those of you who played any sport or have or had a job. When you did not perform, up to the coaches or employers expectations you were informed about it, am I right or wrong? It might be that my expectations are higher then some folks on this site and I do expect our defense to play better then they have. At the same time, I do realize that we have an offensive minded HC and the majority of the athletes are on the offensive side of the ball, rank does have it's privileges. I have given credit to the improvements made, have they come fast enough for me, certainly not. Do we have six or tweleve months to wait on a semi annual or annual performance review that employers have, certainly not. I make my comments on a weekly basis, while the coaches are making them on the fly, and my hat is off to them. But, at the same time, I read on other threads that we have made so much improvement in a week. I was stating a fact that LCM traveled 83 yards in 57 seconds and ran out of time, we gave up chunks of yards, let them basically control the field, we did not close down the side lines during that march. Had they scored, then the end could have been different. I promise you, no one yelled louder in support of our team when LCM ran out of time at the end of the first half then I did. I just don't see where we contained much of anything last Friday night, yes we bent and in a lot of cases we didn't break, but we still gave up 480 yards to LCM. A PNG defense does not give up 480 yards, and I think our guys need work and to continue to push the envelope. For all of the purple glasses wearing folks, the issue of the defense is the lack of "team speed", which you can't teach, either you have it or you don't. Before everyone breaks out their swords and want to chop off my head for that comment, like well so and so is the fastest kid, remember that I said team speed. This is the reason that we pooch kick off as we don't have the speed to get down the field and contain the kick offs inside the 20 yard line.
What this site needs is a weekly thread for former and current players to chat about real football strategy and what actually went on, on the field. Not all of these wannabe's that never played a down or those living through their kid's accomplishments. Of course it would be a thread that would not be very active, as I don't really think many former and current players actually participate on this board based on what I read on here.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I'd rather focus on the fact that we won the game last Friday rather than focus on 480 yards of offense gained by LC-M. You don't get extra points awarded by the UIL or an extra "W" in the column based on yards given up to an opponent. All that matters is that PN-G outscored LC-M. Our defense created a take-a-way, scored 6-points off the take-a-way, and made some stops when they had to. Would "PN-G fans" rather go back to the MB era and play good defense and get beat 12-0, 22-19, 12-7, 28-18, or something similar? But, on the ride home, you say, "Damn, we played good defense." Uh, not me. I'll take Coach Faircloth over what we've had in the past. I'm no fan of student body left and student body right ... punt. Give it a rest. We all agree that we need to play better on defense; that last year's team had a better defense. We've played in some close games this season. We lost a few; we've now won a few. The PN-G fans ... we'll get to the playoffs and they'll complain that "we only made the playoffs becasue we outscored people" ... "when I played, we outscored people 35-0 and only the district champ advanced to the playoffs; anything different is being pampered" ... "I can't stand the fact that our offense scores so many points" ... "I'm not a fan of offensive shoot-outs; offense is for mama's boys; give me defense and no offense" ... "I'd rather us play good defense and lose 3-0 or 12-0 rather than us score any points" ....

1IDPURPLEMONSTER

Would I want to go back to MB days, certainly not. Matter of fact if you go back and look at my posts during those days you will see that I kind of lead the charge to get him out of town. Plus it did not hurt that I had the ear of the Super at the time and a couple of board members sat around me at the games. That's the name of the game is to score more points then the other guy.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
LCM may have had alot of yards, but our defense did play better. Coverage was better, the coaches made changes there, but we can't expect our players to block or intercept every ball thrown.

As far a LCM goes, you need to realize that they are a good team. Much better team than in the past.

png tribe

100+ Posts
Bottom line, we need to make the playoff's and hope for favorable matchup's. The main thing is getting to the playoff's. We're not going to win state, so all that we can do is hope these boy's give all that they have and maybe we can get a few round's into the playoff's. Personally, anything short of the playoff's with this group would be a failure but it look's like we should make it. It was looking pretty bad at one time but everyone keep's getting beat.

NDN79

500+ Posts
Like I stated earlier in this thread--there aren't many teams playing good defense. Do I want PN-G to play better defense? Yes! Can we still win without it? Yes! I think we have gotten better and will continue to improve. Our offense is strong enough to pull us through and I like our chances. The defense will come up big when they need to.

shovelhead

100+ Posts
Purplemonster, our defenses have gotten better. Compare to the Livingston game, where we had NO defensive stops. Not one. They didnt have to punt all night. Just a couple of defensive stops against LCM allowed us to outscore them. We will have to be better each week to even make the playoffs, much less continue. I have faith in our players and coaches and am looking forward to beating Vidor Friday night.
As far as your idea for a thread for only former or current players to post is short-sighted. I do believe we all have the privilege to voice our opinion or comments here.

pngmom4

500+ Posts
NDN79 said:
Like I stated earlier in this thread--there aren't many teams playing good defense. Do I want PN-G to play better defense? Yes! Can we still win without it? Yes! I think we have gotten better and will continue to improve. Our offense is strong enough to pull us through and I like our chances. The defense will come up big when they need to.

Great post

nissanindian

100+ Posts
2 things One you do know that when they had 57 sec left on the clock we were in a prevent defense and for the few who have no clue what that is it stops the big play allows them not to score quickly makes them use small short runs and passes Now we stopped the drive so what does it freakin matter if there went 87 yards or 4 yards it doesnt there were no points scored Number 2 On the big break passing play LCM took advantage of our back up secondary being in and our starting one on the bench being look at for injury. So..... Png will win vidor and play Central very very very tough but I believe the Jags will be out for blood after last year they want to beat us bad

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores