Area Playoffs: PN-G vs Austin LBJ

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Reportedly the 96-0 game was called after the first half. I'm still trying to do the math on that one. That's roughly 13.7 7-point TDs in 24 minutes, (96/7). So that's very roughly a TD every two minutes, for 24 minutes. WTH! (Feel free to check my math.)

They should never get the opportunity to score like that against PNG. We pretty much use up the entire play clock almost every play, except when it's 3rd and short, or 1st and goal, when we hurry up and run the special linemen and bigger RBs into the game, and #19 takes over QB. Even when we go 3 and out we'll use up clock, even with pass plays. This may be a good thing against LBJ; slow the game down.
Fluke game. The other team was only slightly tougher than thin air.

1990NDN

I watched one of their LBJs games last night. The Elgin one. I'm pretty sure our JV could beat Elgin 50-0. I haven't seen anything on LBJ yet that scares me. Maybe I'm wrong? I have a friend who is in Austin right now and the folks he is with are very familiar with Austin LBJ and they said they play in the absolutely worst district in the state. If you look at their 3 non district games... 2 losses and a very close win.... By teams I might add aren't powerhouses by any means.

PNG is gonna win this one.

100+ Posts
I watched one of their LBJs games last night. The Elgin one. I'm pretty sure our JV could beat Elgin 50-0. I haven't seen anything on LBJ yet that scares me. Maybe I'm wrong? I have a friend who is in Austin right now and the folks he is with are very familiar with Austin LBJ and they said they play in the absolutely worst district in the state. If you look at their 3 non district games... 2 losses and a very close win.... By teams I might add aren't powerhouses by any means.

I like your post, and I like the sentiment. And I've said since the PAM game, that if this PNG team wants to, they can take it to any team in the state, and give them a game for their money.

IMO, what costs us the most are the mental errors. On defense, sometimes our aggressiveness tends to result in giving up the occasional big play, especially the misdirections and reverses, and the long passes. Yesterday, the Montgomery QB was pretty good at the misdirection plays. I think that our coaches will work on all of these things in practice this week. I won't be surprised at all to see PNG beat LBJ.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I like your post, and I like the sentiment. And I've said since the PAM game, that if this PNG team wants to, they can take it to any team in the state, and give them a game for their money.

IMO, what costs us the most are the mental errors. On defense, sometimes our aggressiveness tends to result in giving up the occasional big play, especially the misdirections and reverses, and the long passes. Yesterday, the Montgomery QB was pretty good at the misdirection plays. I think that our coaches will work on all of these things in practice this week. I won't be surprised at all to see PNG beat LBJ.
Spot on. Gap and coverage assignments are not optional.

bandkid

Staff member

This is correct. LBJ is the only strong 5ADII team in the Austin area. All the good 5A teams in Austin are DI. Teams like Bastrop, Elgin, Leander Rouse and so on wouldn’t do so well going up against 5ADII counterparts in Houston if they shared a district with them.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Early Season Varsity Depth Chart
Running Backs

RB
Thomas Reed - Sr. - INJURED
Isaiah Nguyen - Jr.
Chatagnier - Soph. - INJURED
Mason Droddy - Sr. (starting LB)
Isaac Sinette

FB
Brock Hebert - FB - Sr.,
Dustyn Thomas,Jr - Sr
Nick Walter - Sr

ATHLETE/QB/WR/RB
Shea Adams
Based on what I saw against GP, Sinette needs some more touches. However, Nguyen has looked good, Droddy has looked good during the few occasions he has touched the ball on offense, and I will never complain about more carries for Adams.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
It’s not that we don’t have good RBs we just don’t run ENOUGH IMO
they RARELY stopped our running plays
We got ourselves in trouble with overthrown passes (or wind affected passes)
I bet we averaged over 6-7 yards per running play. And they absolutely couldn’t stop Adams (they didn’t stop any of our RBs
I largely agree with this. However, my biggest criticism of the play calling in this game, as well as in many previous games, is that they try too many deep passes and not enough short or intermediate ones. Of course, these types of plays sometimes pay off big, as they did against Montgomery on a few occasions. However, the point is that they have a relatively low percentage of success even when executed by talented players. So if you go to the well too often with this type of play, more often than not the play will not be successful and you will just have one less down to get a first (if not resulting in a turnover). This puts more pressure on the QB and can lower his confidence. Although I realize it is subjective as to how many of these plays constitute “too many,” IMO a combination of more frequent running plays and more frequent higher percentage passing plays would make the offense more successful and could also bolster Crippen’s confidence. This seems particularly likely since we have the talent to execute those alternative types of plays with a high degree of success.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
From texasfootball.com. Not sure if they are following the standard but the second team listed is usually the home team.

Austin LBJ (9-2) vs. Port Neches-Groves (9-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Katy’s Rhodes Stadium

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
35 -175 5 ypc rushing
8 of 22 for 150 yards passing.
And I guarantee until mid 3rd quarter it was more passes than runs
We would dig ourselves in holes then sometimes dig out but if we had just run it two plays (old school 70s style) if two runs get you the first down (yes it seemed we got 5-7 yards MOST of the time) I know they stopped us some. But rarely. Two plays you get the first (or third and very short)
It SEEMS like this year we’re forcing an ideology
Instead of doing what obviously works

every game I’ve seen except for PAM (didn’t see FBM) we would have won EASILY running every play (with the threat of passing) if that makes sense. (If the other team didn’t KNOW for sure we were running). Not criticizing Crippen he’s got talent but he is “overthrowing” literally and figuratively except for SF GAME where he was the QB we all know he can be
I mean both throwing long on deep passes and high on curls etc AND he’s putting too much effort into the throw (and I don’t mean the speed of the pass)
Relax a little— (and I’ve never played QB except for Madden and college intermurals) so respect to anyone doing it in real life on this level to me he looks like Nolan Ryan throwing off the mound
Just my opinion and I’m not meaning to question skill and talent and heart

100+ Posts
Reportedly the 96-0 game was called after the first half. I'm still trying to do the math on that one. That's roughly 13.7 7-point TDs in 24 minutes, (96/7). So that's very roughly a TD every two minutes, for 24 minutes. WTH! (Feel free to check my math.)

They should never get the opportunity to score like that against PNG. We pretty much use up the entire play clock almost every play, except when it's 3rd and short, or 1st and goal, when we hurry up and run the special linemen and bigger RBs into the game, and #19 takes over QB. Even when we go 3 and out we'll use up clock, even with pass plays. This may be a good thing against LBJ; slow the game down.
Well, NM my math, apparently the score was 89-0 at the half.

This game should be interesting, and I'm really hoping there will be no mistakes like we saw last Saturday. We should beat this team IMO. We gave FBM a good game after spotting them 14 points, in the midday heat, and with lousy refs. And FBM is ranked #2 iIrc.

1990NDN

This was a game against the “smart kids”

Who earlier lost to a 3A d1 team Luling 59-0
(Lulling went 3-3 in their 3A district)
I'm convinced LBJ has had a season full of this. If you look at their non district matchups, you will see they lost to two mediocre teams and barely beat another. If I were a betting man, my money would be on PNG in this one by at least two touchdowns.

I know LBJ has put up major points but the games I've watched it literally looks like they are playing JV caliber teams.

I'm convinced we win this one.

100+ Posts
We have pretty good OL and DL. We have speed in the backfield and receivers, and a QB with a good arm that can play (and has played) under pressure. We have some pretty tough senior linebackers that are back and just now getting back into the groove, and a couple of back-up linebackers with good speed and not afraid to hit. The outside linebackers and DBs all have pretty good speed. If everyone does their job then we'll give LBJ a good game. Like everyone says, they have speed; but they haven't seen speed like ours since their loss to Parish Episcopal HS.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores