Bob West's Predictions in todays PA News

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG was very near a 4 year stretch of being champs. SA Churchill was very good but if that game had been played in the Dome or in decent conditions, the Indians would have had a great shot at a win. They made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes in the freezing rain at Rice Stadium. The Indiand should have taken out Plano in '77. A lot of mistakes were made in that 10-13 loss that made the difference.

NONS81

IndianFan said:
PNG was very near a 4 year stretch of being champs. SA Churchill was very good but if that game had been played in the Dome or in decent conditions, the Indians would have had a great shot at a win. They made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes in the freezing rain at Rice Stadium. The Indiand should have taken out Plano in '77. A lot of mistakes were made in that 10-13 loss that made the difference.

That was a long ride home!!!! (The Plano Game).

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
I remember that. Actually we rode a chartered bus that year. Left from Speirs parking lot in Groves at 6 am and got back at midnight.

NONS81

PNG NDN Fan said:
I remember that. Actually we rode a chartered bus that year. Left from Speirs parking lot in Groves at 6 am and got back at midnight.

We rode the bus in '75 and we drove for the '77 game. My uncle and Dallas traffic do not mix....:)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
My Dad and I drove to the 1977 game on a cold, crisp day. We covered the windows on our Chevy truck with purple and white shoe polish and for an extra effect I had one of the 'Indian wampum banks' positioned in the back window.

That was a great trip and given the potent offense and less than stellar Plano defense, I was anticipating a 35-14 type win. Of course it was a bad performance for the Indians and it didn't work out. It's still a great memory.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:

We took a charter bus to that Plano game too...left from PNE. And it was played on my BD. Bad omen I guess.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
Brazoswood game - we was robbed at the end of the game :whiteflag:
With seconds to go Kyle Bowser scored on a fourth and one and the ref stood there with his finger in his kazoo. :sorry:
Mr Owens with his dropped pass over the middle with Brazoswood in an all out blitz. :punchingbag:
I was an extremely poor sport that day and my grandma would have used a whole bar of Lava soap on my foul mouth.
My apologies to all the woman and children and men who where seated next to me. Better late than never. :eek:ld:

19cherokee90

I remember going to the State game at the Cowboys stadium...I remember leaving in the middle of the night in a convoy with the Wallaces..driving all through the night...I remember being in underwear and a tshirt and laying in the ledge below the back window.( Was before seatbelt laws haha) I also remember getting carsick and puking in the back seat...yuck....never forget the purple and white on that field that day...was awesome....I want more of those trips for my kids!!!!!

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Guys, this isn't fair that you all got to experience those awesome years. I wasn't even born yet! (I'm not saying you guys are old...I'll just say experienced..lol). Anyways, the best I can do is the playoffs in 1999. I want something like that again! Lets get us a coach to take us back to the astrodome!!! (i guess these days we'll have to settle for setting the record at Reliant Stadium!)

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
wynnewood estate knucklehead said:
NDNTime said:
Guys, this isn't fair that you all got to experience those awesome years. I wasn't even born yet! (I'm not saying you guys are old...I'll just say experienced..lol). Anyways, the best I can do is the playoffs in 1999. I want something like that again! Lets get us a coach to take us back to the astrodome!!! (i guess these days we'll have to settle for setting the record at Reliant Stadium!)

Those were some great years and you probably haven't heard the way this crusade was started in 1974. In order for PNG to go to the playoffs that year TJ and PA Lincoln had to tie in the last game of the season and that was the only way, they had to tie. Now think about it, how many district high school games end in a tie? If memory serves me well, this game was being played on a Saturday night, well PNG fans, students, and players packed one corner of Memorial Stadium with Purple and White. We were jacked up, praying for a tie between the bitter rivals. Purple and White excitement built to a fever pitch as the game was tied up with about 4 or 5 minutes left in the game, oh no...Lincoln(I think) was driving the ball, nooooooo....down to TJ's ten yard line with about one minute left in the game and they line up for a field goal to win the game. Total silence in the stadium, the kick was up.......WIIIIIIDDDEEEEEEE RIGGGHHHTTT, total PURPLE AND WHITE bedlam. Wouldn't trade that memory for 10 million dollars.

I was 7 years old at the time. If my memory serves me correctly, my oldest sister was an I-ette officer the and she stayed with me and other sister as we listened to it on the radio on KOLE while my parents went to the game. Funny thing is we lived just about couple of miles up from Memorial Stadium in PA, so you could see the glow of the lights in the sky.

It was a great moment because my only memory up to that point was how the Indians in previous years would miss the playoffs because of a loss to Lincoln, and only one team got to go back then.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
"Wouldn't trade that memory for 10 million dollars. " Well knucklehead what was the score..........yea that's what I thought. :duel:

13 -13 :crip:

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
wynnewood estate knucklehead said:
Xcrystalbeachbum said:
"Wouldn't trade that memory for 10 million dollars. " Well knucklehead what was the score..........yea that's what I thought. :duel:

13 -13 :crip:

Why don't you get off your lazy duff and dig up those 1977 State Championship pictures out of storage so some of these young people can enjoy them? :duel:

Yeah, us young people love PNG and would love to see some of our forefathers

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I'll start of with a 1975 team photo. Look for it by Monday. How about some photos from the 30s and 40s? ;D

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
Oh yea knucklehead you got your TJ-Lincoln game all boogered up. That is what happens when you graduate from aTm......you lose all your brain cells at that Dixie (whatever you call it) drinkin beer in the parkin lot.

What really happened was that TJ scored one touchdown and two field goals with Lincoln scoring two touchdowns and missing the extra point with 1:06 left in the game. And it was wide left and not wide right. How do I know for sure? I was there and being the smart one, I looked it up in the PA News archive.

HOOK'EM HORNS! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
:clap: :clap: :clap:.....and the rest was history. Beautiful memories from that point on! O0 :helmet: O0 I wonder how many buses we could fill today? I remember the charter bus services running out of buses and having to get more from another city. As long as I live I will never forget the bitter cold in Texas Stadium. :cold I was sick for a week after the game but the day of the game, it did not matter. I bet more people left town for the game than evacuated for Hurricane Ike!!!!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
Didn't you mean Rice Stadium? Gosh, that was so cold. But I still think the most miserable, coldest game we ever played in was played at Stallworth Stadium in Baytown. We left home and it was about 75 degrees. Thank God, my husband listened to the weather report and brought coats because it dropped into the low 30's before halftime. There were fans sitting there in short sleeves and trying to use plastic garbage bags to cover up with. Personally, I'm glad the weather has gotten better--I'd hate my obituary to read "she died supporting the Indians in 30 degree weather."

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
squaw said:
Didn't you mean Rice Stadium? Gosh, that was so cold. But I still think the most miserable, coldest game we ever played in was played at Stallworth Stadium in Baytown. We left home and it was about 75 degrees. Thank God, my husband listened to the weather report and brought coats because it dropped into the low 30's before halftime. There were fans sitting there in short sleeves and trying to use plastic garbage bags to cover up with. Personally, I'm glad the weather has gotten better--I'd hate my obituary to read "she died supporting the Indians in 30 degree weather."
No Texas Stadium was unbearable cold, but so where the other games you mention. I also remember the game at Stallworth Stadium. People where down under the stands trying to stay warm. I was sick after that game also! :cold :cold Double burrrr!!!!! Rice Stadium was cold also but Texas stadium was another Stallworth. There was nothing you could do to keep warm. I do not remember which game it was but the band could not even play because the instruments kept freezing up. :eek: Seems like games where colder back then. But nor rain or sleet or bitter cold cold stop our Indian pride back then! Mother Nature tried many times, but it did not work!!!! :woot:

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
My vote for coldest game is the game played at Stallworth Stadium. I froze my :-X :-X.....off. And somehow my buddy Ricky Vaught kicked the winning field goal into a fierce headwind and we won 9 to 7. How he made that kick with his goofy tie his shoelaces under the front of his cleats and back around his ankle is beyond me. I think his foot was so frozen that it flew off. Ask knucklehead what happened to Ricky's game ball. :huh:
Knucklehead should be ashamed of himself.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
If I can remember correctly, wasn't it also sleeting during that game? It really does not matter sleet or not the game was unbearably cold!!!

squaw

1,000+ Posts
All three of those games were so cold! Baytown game was bad because people didn't come prepared for the cold. Another horrible game was played in Port Arthur's Memorial Stadium when it was cold, raining and so windy it turned our umbrella inside out. We finally got rid of our purple PNG pull on hats and purple gloves when we moved into this house, but I'm still scared we may need them some day.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores