Calallen.......Danaher Withdraws name

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
Re: Calallen

Oh, anywhere from 5000-7000 on any given Friday. Unless we are playing our arch rival Nederland. Then all statistics go out the window. The average attendance at that game is 15000 combined. It is definitely a sight to behold for the rivalry game.

Wildcat_Fan

NDNTime said:
Oh, anywhere from 5000-7000 on any given Friday. Unless we are playing our arch rival Nederland. Then all statistics go out the window. The average attendance at that game is 15000 combined. It is definitely a sight to behold for the rivalry game.

Our home side holds about 6K and it's always full, so I believe that the fan base is fairly comparable. Again, I don't think that facilities nor support will make much of a difference in his decision. It's just wait and see at this point, and I don't think we'll have to wait much longer....

pngfan1

Wildcat_Fan said:
NDNTime said:

Our home side holds about 6K and it's always full, so I believe that the fan base is fairly comparable. Again, I don't think that facilities nor support will make much of a difference in his decision. It's just wait and see at this point, and I don't think we'll have to wait much longer....
There are plenty schools that will compare in attendance to our regular season games, but we get a lot of support from the entire sorrounding area for playoff games. Have to give credit to the entire area, not just Port Neches and Groves. If you look on the home page and go under traditions and scroll down you will see a picture of the 99' state game in the Astrodome. Thats a better crowd than our population.

I have always been impressed with Calallens entire athletic program , I believe we met several years back in baseball at the state tournament. Anyway, it seems to be a first class school to be proud of.

Wildcat_Fan

pngfan1 said:
Wildcat_Fan said:
NDNTime said:

There are plenty schools that will compare in attendance to our regular season games, but we get a lot of support from the entire sorrounding area for playoff games. Have to give credit to the entire area, not just Port Neches and Groves. If you look on the home page and go under traditions and scroll down you will see a picture of the 99' state game in the Astrodome. Thats a better crowd than our population.

I have always been impressed with Calallens entire athletic program , I believe we met several years back in baseball at the state tournament. Anyway, it seems to be a first class school to be proud of.

I am familiar with that...there were 20,000 people at the Astrodome in 1996 when Calallen played La Marque.

squaw

1,000+ Posts

I am not sure of the exact numbers but there was over 50,000 in 1975 when we WON state and around 54,000 when we played for state and lost to Plano in 1976. PNG holds 4 out of 5 of the top attendance records in the state for a high school football game. I have a lot of respect for your program and your community, but we would be even more awesome with the leadership your programs have had and I, for one, definitely hope and pray that Coach Danaher chooses to become the Indian Chief at the reservation. He will be revered.

Wildcat_Fan

squaw said:
I am not sure of the exact numbers but there was over 50,000 in 1975 when we WON state and around 54,000 when we played for state and lost to Plano in 1976. PNG holds 4 out of 5 of the top attendance records in the state for a high school football game. I have a lot of respect for your program and your community, but we would be even more awesome with the leadership your programs have had and I, for one, definitely hope and pray that Coach Danaher chooses to become the Indian Chief at the reservation. He will be revered.

Will y'all name the town after him if he wins state? 8)

squaw

1,000+ Posts

Wildcat_Fan said:
squaw said:

Will y'all name the town after him if he wins state? 8)
lol! Strange you should say that--we wanted to change our town name to Port Ethredge (sp?) instead of Port Neches when we won state in 1975. ;D

png66

Sorry Squaw but PN-G has never played before a crowd larger than 49,000 plus. That was the Plano game in 1977. The Permian game in 1975 only had 23,000 plus in attendance.

squaw

1,000+ Posts

png66 said:
Sorry Squaw but PN-G has never played before a crowd larger than 49,000 plus. That was the Plano game in 1977. The Permian game in 1975 only had 23,000 plus in attendance.
You're right-I stand corrected. According to records:
1977 Texas Stadium state game against Plano 45,953
1999 Astrodome state game against Stephenville 39,000 (34,000 PNG)
Other top records set by PNG in the Astrodome are 38,570, 35,439, 33,836, and 33,000

What's a few thousand difference when you're having fun?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

49,953 was the attendance of the PNG/Plano game in 1977.

The 1999 crowd was around 39,000. The PNG side was full from goal post to goal post.

34000fans.gif

What makes PNG different is the huge following of alumni across the state and nation. THAT is the difference in fan bases that no other school has matched. That includes Katy, SLC, Permian, Plano and La Marque.

If Danaher, or whomever the new coach is starts winning big, the home side (~7,700) will be packed every game. And there will likely be overflow to the visitor side.

squaw

1,000+ Posts

IndianFan said:
49,953 was the attendance of the PNG/Plano game in 1977.

The 1999 crowd was around 39,000. The PNG side was full from goal post to goal post.

34000fans.gif

What makes PNG different is the huge following of alumni across the state and nation. THAT is the difference in fan bases that no other school has matched. That includes Katy, SLC, Permian, Plano and La Marque.

If Danaher, or whomever the new coach is starts winning big, the home side (~7,700) will be packed every game. And there will likely be overflow to the visitor side.
Slip of the fingers! I meant 49,953....sorry. And I think we have more than 7,000 most games.

CatFan4Ever

ScalpEm24 said:
Wow, those are really big words coming from the CCC poster. Sounds a lil jaded and uneasy w/ the possiblity of losing the coach. I get that.
As the poster said...sure it might be a what have you done for me mentality. But let me pose this question. And again, its just a thought and a what if.....

I would love to switch regions. Let Calallen play in Region 3 & send PN-G down to Region 4 to play for a while. It's a proven fact, Region 3 is hands down the toughest area to get out of in the playoffs. The caliber of teams are off the chart. Where as in Region 4, truly, you won't play the level of team in the playoffs until your basically in the QtrFinals or possibly even the SemiFinals.
So, sure you can bash PN-G, but until you go thru the gauntlet in our district, only to step out in the first round and get LaMarque or Texas City & follow that up w/ a Brenham or Bay City, into the next round w/ a possible rematch from our district, it's just a beast. Now, I am by no means making excuses at all here, I just think hypothetically it would certainly be an interesting twist and something to ponder.....for sure.
I mean it is a message board we are on here....and here........anything is possible.... :woohoo:
SCALP EM

Well…maybe we haven’t ever won a State Championship, but we’ve been to the playoffs for 24 consecutive years and played deep in the playoffs each season. I would love to see Calallen win a State Championship, but I also love that we’ve had the consistency of being in the playoffs every year for 24 years. I love our 7 state semi-final appearances in 15 years and our State Championship appearance in 2005. I love that at week 10, 11, 12 and beyond, we know we’re still playing. I really feel for schools that win a championship and then fall off the planet for several years with nothing else to show for themselves other than what happened way back when. You may have the state championships of the 50s and 70s, but if you say you wouldn’t want the success that Calallen has had the last 25 years, you’re a liar. Without a doubt you would have preferred to have been in the playoffs the other 21 years in the last 30 when your equipment was packed up and you were watching other teams play. You think Region III is so much tougher than 4A? How about the fact that over the last five years, a team from Region IV has either won the championship or played for it.

You didn’t strike any nerve with me regarding Phil Danaher because he is a good friend and I know exactly what his choice will be today. Calallen isn’t a bit worried because we know there’s no comparison between the two. See you in the playoffs – if you get there.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
lu cards said:
next up faircloth.westlake just came open and its rumored he wants that job.
OMG, the "infamous three" had better get on the ball and find us a great coach soon. Maybe this is what happens when things are done in "secret." Bear in mind, I said maybe. I wish the committee would let people know why Danaher turned his nose up at PNG.

VegasNDN

I've been paying close attention to this process from Vegas. I was going to keep my mouth shut until I kept reading the posts from the CatFan guy/gal. Whoever you are, and I mean this with all the respect in the world, you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea what it takes to play ANY sport in this community. You have no idea what it means to graduate from one of the best schools in the state. You have no idea what it means for a stranger in a grocery store or gas station to tell you good luck because they recognize you from a certain sport; because they pay attention. Our fan base is unlike any other in the country. You will never now the pride that you take with you when you leave this community to live your life. I may not be there raising my family, but every ounce of who I am as a husband, a dad, a friend, and a successful business owner is a direct reflection of this community. So in all fairness, I forgive your comments because you truly have no idea. All the best to you and your coach.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores