Defensive Coordinator

bark

1,000+ Posts
<Moved from other coaching discussion thread...>

Speaking of PN-G coaches, did PN-G get a new DC? If yes, is Coach Nelson staying? I hope so. He just needs more experience. Allow him to learn under a mentor. Just my thoughts.

Go Indians. Peace.
anyone know this Coach Woodard?? From Allen, I believe

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Woodard coached d line at Allen. Also taught world geography. Young guy who likes to fish.

Sounds like a lot of changes at Allen. New AD. New head football coach from Lake Travis has been hired to replace retiring head coach Terry Gambill. Their OC took head coaching job at Rowlett. More than likely the new regime is bringing in new coaches there.

Woodard has been around a big time, winning program so maybe some of that mindset will follow. Allen is known for its college like program to prepare players. I’m betting he will have some ideas that Coach Faircloth will be happy to implement. That’s what we need, a fresh shot of blue blood and a new defensive mind. Blue + Red = Purple.

That’s all I’ve got so far.

If this is true, welcome to PNG Coach Woodard.

HJJ97NDN

100+ Posts
Matt Woodard coached d line at Allen. Also taught world geography. Young guy who likes to fish.

Sounds like a lot of changes at Allen. New AD. New head football coach from Lake Travis has been hired to replace retiring head coach Terry Gambill. Their OC took head coaching job at Rowlett. More than likely the new regime is bringing in new coaches there.

Woodard has been around a big time, winning program so maybe some of that mindset will follow. Allen is known for its college like program to prepare players. I’m betting he will have some ideas that Coach Faircloth will be happy to implement. That’s what we need, a fresh shot of blue blood and a new defensive mind. Blue + Red = Purple.

That’s all I’ve got so far.

If this is true, welcome to PNG Coach Woodard.
That sounds like very good news if true.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Long time Allen ISD Athletic Director Steve Williams also retired this year. Williams served in AISD as a teacher, coach, and administrator for 46 years including 21 as head of the Athletics Department. During that time Allen HS has captured 28 state championships in various sports.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Bark, Indian Fan, and others...thanks for sharing info on the new DC. Good stuff.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Now lets get players to play both ways and make a deep run :)
At least part time. Putting best players on the field to stop a drive and get the ball back makes sense.

Lets also get the running game back to where it was pre-RJ to keep the defense off of the field as much as possible. A power running back who can break tackles and move the ball forward has a lot of positives. Find a back with good speed and quickness AND power over finesse.

bark

1,000+ Posts
At least part time. Putting best players on the field to stop a drive and get the ball back makes sense.

Lets also get the running game back to where it was pre-RJ to keep the defense off of the field as much as possible. A power running back who can break tackles and move the ball forward has a lot of positives. Find a back with good speed and quickness AND power over finesse.
willing to bet it won't happen.. only goal is record setting for the Qb and offense. That's Fairclothes philosophy - it wont change. Now that 4 of 6 or so teams make the playoffs in EVERY district. All head coaches are sticking by the "we made the playoffs" statement, when it is meaningless compared to an outright DC At this point I am doing just that -enjoying the Qb play and hope we beat Nederland most of the time. Lots of '75 State Championship players in this weekend for a benefit. one of our guys sister needed the help.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
willing to bet it won't happen.. only goal is record setting for the Qb and offense. That's Fairclothes philosophy - it wont change. Now that 4 of 6 or so teams make the playoffs in EVERY district. All head coaches are sticking by the "we made the playoffs" statement, when it is meaningless compared to an outright DC At this point I am doing just that -enjoying the Qb play and hope we beat Nederland most of the time. Lots of '75 State Championship players in this weekend for a benefit. one of our guys sister needed the help.

It could be so much better. PN-G will never have a lot of D1 talent or blazing speed but how many times have we seen the Indians over the years kick the a** of teams that did.

Shore up the defense to go along with the high octane offense and it will happen. Look at the FB Marshall game last year. PN-G kids can play defense.

bark

1,000+ Posts
It could be so much better. PN-G will never have a lot of D1 talent or blazing speed but how many times have we seen the Indians over the years kick the a** of teams that did.

Shore up the defense to go along with the high octane offense and it will happen. Look at the FB Marshall game last year. PN-G kids can play defense.

to be frank about it FBs previous game totals were FB 550 points to 20 points then PNG 21 to 14- off game for FB obviously- they then out scored 90 to 60 before losing to Crosby

I promise it wasn't PNG renouned defense that gave up 600+ yards a game that held FB to 21 points.

Call a spade a spade - we have a really good offensive scheme and that's it!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It was also an adjustment of offensive strategy. Purposeful ball control with Bost picking up a lot of the yardage on the ground. If the defense can play 25% better and the offense burn more clock, the blowout losses of last year aren’t likely to happen.

The defense can improve that much just by working on tackling effectively. That and attack the backfield more like the old days. Stop the speed before they get in the open field and maybe force some bad decisions and turnovers.

With the UIL rules that limit full contact per practice, it must be a coaching challenge.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I agree wholeheartedly that we need to go live in practice and tackle. Injuries are a part of football. Be it practice or a game, injuries happen. Next man up. Tackle better, make a few stops, improve the run game, and throw the ball all over the field. Sounds like a good game plan. I like it. A friend of mine that lives in PN says the next two or three years should be good ones for the Indians. A good group of kids coming through the high school. As freshman, they dominated games. I hope it translates to the varsity.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Always good to hear that sub varsity is doing well. But it doesn’t always translate to varsity. But I’m going to think positive and agree that it will.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Full contact in practice has been limited for years. 90 minutes per week. About 1/2 hour per practice? Hoping that includes hard core tackling and blocking exercises. Players are going to play like they practice. Knocking the snuff out of an opponent or just consistently wrapping them up on a tackle and bringing them down should become like muscle memory. It's not rocket science.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Ever wonder how programs like Mart or Refugio stay on top of their classifications year after year? Yes those are small schools, but so are their competitors. Those programs are doing something that works better than 95+% of other schools in their categories. It would be great to know.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Ever wonder how programs like Mart or Refugio stay on top of their classifications year after year? Yes those are small schools, but so are their competitors. Those programs are doing something that works better than 95+% of other schools in their categories. It would be great to know.
All we have to do is look across the Neches into WOS to see your answer

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores