Defensive Coordinator

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
No slight to the PNG coaches. I sure as hell don’t want to come across like the genius fans and know it all ‘writers’ on sites like texasinsider. Those people are non-stop critical of coaches and mesmerized by future recruits more than the capable players that commit and bust their chops for playing time (like RJ). Personally I’m just an old football fan who’s experienced and seen what is successful and not, and assume good fundamentals still work in 2021. We wouldn’t be football fans if we didn’t talk about the benefits of things like tackling, blocking, etc.

Hoping the best for the defense in 2021 and beyond.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
WO-S plays kids both ways...they practice tackling...intense practices where the kids go live and tackle. The old saying still applies in 2021...you play like you practice.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
But the UIL limitations would still come into play. So I don’t think practice can ever be like it was in the past when not only the hitting drills were full contact, but even everyday practice plays were full contact. If you had pads on you were hitting somebody.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Gotta get it done in the youth football programs. Can’t do it in Situ the UIL feels too much legal liability. The kids have to do it on their own. I think kids should go both ways and everyone who dresses out (makes the team) plays at least one play in every game even if it’s punt return or coverage. Keeps the kids responsible. (A real team) Play everyone (best player available) until they’re tired and then have an adequate sub when they can’t go or need a rest. (Otherwise would be the starter) any time the sub becomes a better option (fresher) use him. Sometimes you win the game in the first quarter (figuratively but literally) Pleasant Grove had 300lb plus kids playing both ways all the time. I refuse to believe they’re that delicate or can’t learn plays for both and be a cohesive unit

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I think another answer is divided practice. Divide the squads so that there is RARELY any time they’re not physical. I know this is done but I always see kids chewing on their mouthpiece watching. They should be running something every second IMO act like the third team is the team. Have the third offense third defense with a coach or two act like they’re the only hope. Then they can plug individuals in where needed even switch around if needed. But they’re getting reps always during practice.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
One thing I see about WOS is almost every player gets on the field. (Beating a dead horse) translation from the musician world if someone says learn a song and you’re reasonably sure you won’t play it this weekend you don’t put 100% effort into learning it. The value of having 100% of the team competent at all times is more valuable than the half step you lose here and there. Maybe they get burned once or twice. But I think it’s worth it. Might even get more participation. IMO if a kid has no business on the field he has no business in uniform. JMO

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I see about WOS is almost every player gets on the field. (Beating a dead horse) translation from the musician world if someone says learn a song and you’re reasonably sure you won’t play it this weekend you don’t put 100% effort into learning it. The value of having 100% of the team competent at all times is more valuable than the half step you lose here and there. Maybe they get burned once or twice. But I think it’s worth it. Might even get more participation. IMO if a kid has no business on the field he has no business in uniform. JMO

The difference is WO-S is a small team. Not sure they even suit up more than 30-35 on varsity. PN-G normally has 55-60 kids on the team. Typically a big drop off in capability with that many kids, but if they made it to varsity and are doing the weekly work, it would be nice for the kids to see the field if they’ve earned it. This is the dilemma Faircloth and other head coaches factor in. He wants as many kids to play as possible, but he also knows winning is a big priority.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Usually WOS fields less than most 4a schools I’ve ever seen. You’d think more kids would want to play football. I think they have that philosophy there make the team you play at least a little.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Actually the times I’ve seen Nederland recently (maybe not as much as some others here) but I have seen them in years they play playoff games in the Houston area. They seem to field small numbers

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Extracurricular is not big there. I remember one year their marching band had about 10 members.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I guess my main point is MORE dressed put players should play if possible. And the best players should play both ways when possible

I agree x 1,000,000. Put the best 11 kids on the field for offense, defense, and special teams. I don't care if the right tackle is our kicker or punter. If he is the best for the job, let him kick the snot out of the ball. If our star RB is a great LB or DB, put in there. If the LB makes a great TE or OL, then so be it. Play those kids until they get tired. Find a sub, get some rest, and then get back in there. If injuries happen, next player up. They do that in all other sports. Volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, cross-country, tennis, golf, etc. Find the best kids and let it rip. These are 15-18 year old kids. They will not drop dead from fatigue. If our QB is a great nose tackle, then line him up both ways. WO-S does it. I've seen nederland do it, PAM do it, Vidor, and others. If we have a tuba player that can contribute, get that kid a uniform.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget the goofy political games. 'Little Johnny' whose parents are perhaps influential in the community will sometimes start and play ahead of more capable players. Happens at every school, but hopefully not at PN-G.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Amen ..preach ..best 11 kids on both sides of the ball regardless if they play O or D already. If they are the best, then play then at the position regardless. We don't have the athletes to not be doing this. As Usedtocould said, if they are tired, have a capable backup ready (because that capable backup would have started otherwise).

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
I know I bring up Pleasant Grove a lot partly because I have family ties there. But I was SUPER impressed with their first championship the star LB caught the first play TD pass as a TE that absolutely was a gut punch to Wos. (I was at that game) the QB returned PUNTS and KOs that LB is now playing LB at Texas Tech they had a lot of D1 talent but I don’t think they win the game without players playing both sides. WITH that they compete with most teams regardless of classification. Almost every star player plays both ways. Last year top 10 DE in the country (going to LSU) played more than half of the downs at TE. Even Texas High (5Aii) with the number 8 DE in the nation (OU) played WR quite a bit. Might be utopian but I think the idea of “starter” is old thinking. Imagine if Roschon was also the safety think we would have been way better? No doubt about it. I’ll never forget I had to sit on the visitor side for the close Vidor game when they put Roschon in for the last couple of plays on defense. A redneck behind me exclaimed “THATS NOT FAIR” (I can say that I’m part redneck) (was 100% serious) implying we were cheating by putting in Roschon in at safety. (And it wasn’t “fair” lol) it was “fair” to put in someone less talented (that’s most of the human population) haha he actually tried to “bait” the QB into throwing it to he’s guy lol. (Didn’t fall for it) he pretended he was beat but knew he could easily catch up.

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
And I get the argument of increased chance for injury. But. If you accept that argument then maybe you only play every other game by that same philosophy. Or half of the offensive series. Etc etc etc. “hey Roschon you’re not playing this week because you might get injured.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Hearing we hired a guy from Allen who was the DL coach last yeAr. This is just secondhand info but I have heard it a couple of times.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores