FINAL: PN-G 24, Austin LBJ 19

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
From here at the game...PN-G has the size and mojo. Credit to PN-G defense and special teams. Both units playing lights out. PN-G size in the trenches is wearing down LBJ. Keep it up Indians. Run the ball, run the ball, and run the ball some more. On defense, keep playing hard. Love the effort from all 11 kids on defense. Most active I've seen them. ST, keep giving Indian Nation your best effort. Kids are ST are playing excited and giving the team energy. PN-G's kicker. WOW. He could hit a FG from 40+ yards. Strong leg and his kicks get high fast. Not the PN-G crowds of old, but those that are here are fired up and I am loving it. Gotta give my ipad back to my daughter. Let's go Indians.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
We've had some good pass plays tonight, and passing the ball keeps them from stacking the box. This is still a tough defense we're up against.
The Indians offensive line can beat the brakes off of that defense all night. Run. Wear them down. Burn clock. Score. Avoid interceptions. Avoid slowing the clock down. Mix in some high percentage passes.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Since when did PN-G have four band directors/drum majors on the field? I only remember two? This is a big PN-G band and the larges group of Indianettes that I have seen in years. Glad to see all the kids involved.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Keys to a winning second half. Keep possession of the ball. Run the clock. Drive the ball and score twice more. No turnovers. Get one or two stops on defense. Do that and this is a W.

Welcome to SE Texas football.

bandkid

Staff member
Since when did PN-G have four band directors/drum majors on the field? I only remember two? This is a big PN-G band and the larges group of Indianettes that I have seen in years. Glad to see all the kids involved.

They had three when I was in school. Increased it to four a few years ago because the band is now over 250 students strong and covers so much of the field. Having a fourth drum major providing direction at certain points around the field keeps students on beat when they lose their line of sight on the three in their normal positions at the 50 and 25 yard lines.

To your earlier comment about shrinking crowd sizes, I first started noticing it in 2019. Still, though, our crowds almost always dwarf those on the other side of the field, which are also rapidly dwindling. I think the rapid proliferation of streaming services for high school sports during and after COVID is a major factor, but it's principally a reflection of our changing culture across the country and changing demographics in Texas high schools. Over 40% of PN-GISD students are now economically disadvantaged, versus just over 20% when I was school. That jump mirrors what we've seen in public schools across the state; over two thirds of Texas public school students are economically disadvantaged this school year. To put that in perspective, about 72% of Beaumont ISD students are economically disadvantaged. It doesn't bode well for future parental and community involvement in Texas schools, both at PN-G and beyond. Many families just can't afford to make these games like they used to. It's nobody's fault.

Considering those numbers and those statewide trends, it's a minor miracle that PN-G has managed to keep, if not increase, it's traditionally astoundingly high rate of extracurricular participation.

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (4-0)
vs.
Huntsville Hornets (3-1)

Friday, Oct. 4, 7:00PM

Huntsville ISD Stadium, Huntsville, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores