FINAL: PN-G 63, Santa Fe 21

My observations so far this season

I’m 100% sure some will STRONGLY disagree
And I’m not saying I’m right you’re wrong at all just from my football POV

1. We are a pass first team — that doesn’t mean abandon the run - but in the past our run set up the pass (it’s not how I prefer it to be if I could “build” a team I would run run run then run some more trust me). BUT we’re going to have to pass first this year that’s just how it is whether we like it or not) (JMO) (More to say but I’ll quit there)
2. Gohlke has earned at least more snaps at QB (not saying he’s better etc etc etc) and I do like the idea of having two “equal” QBs I know the traditional thought on this and it seems to have started with a TV announcer somewhere saying you can’t have two QBs and people just repeat it but I don’t see the reasoning in it and it isn’t true in my opinion.
At the same time I’d like to see Ashworth on the field more with G at QB

Our strengths are - two very athletic QBs and secondary (forgot and 5-6 WRs who would start for most other teams (meant to say that first time around)
We have a star at RB it just hasn’t manifested itself yet unfortunately
I believe it will with a pass first offense

Oh yeah and penalties are killing us

(And play standard defense on 4 th down no punt returns )
FYI I made this comment in the middle of the second quarter not at 1:15 AM HAHA
 
I watched PNG go undefeated last season and still saw people find reason to complain.

Being able to really run the ball against the elite teams is important for clock management and being able to rest the defense. Hopefully by the time we see another elite team we’ll be a little more able to establish the run… but 63? We scored 60+ in my lifetime with a UT Commit at QB and another QB who got snaps at Texas A&M.
You played for Thomas Jefferson 1980-1983? Todd Dodge and Craig Stump?
 
I just rewatched the entire game and while I may have missed something we had 1 single run play that was a tfl or negative yardage run, and 0 sacks. I’m not really sure what else we could want out of them. The line continues to improve, are still rotating positions and swapping starters, but we just put up 63 and the consensus seems to be “yea but the oline sucks”. I mean I get it, we no longer have a line with 2 FBS players now we have a lowly FCS guard playing at tackle. I’m not by any means trying to convince anyone they are the second coming of Jackson Christian, but you have atleast 4 guys starting on varsity, possibly even playing on varsity for the first time that just had their best game of the season and our response is nothing but sour grapes. I mean hell I wish we had Winfrey, Wuenschel, Hernandez, Barnwell, Chatenier back too, but we don’t! New team, new year. I’m not talking to anyone in particular, not trying to start a debate, but goodness. We had essentially one score games against 2 state ranked teams in pre district and the sky is falling? Brenham took us to the wood shed, there is no doubt about that, but PA and Crawford were winnable games that a inexperienced team let slip through their fingers. Look at the first half of the Santa Fe threads, it was we aren’t good, we aren’t this or that and we won 63-21. Hell maybe I’m the one not being real with myself, but geeze sure seems like a lot more hate than support around here lately.
Agree 100%
 
Genuinely wasn’t referring to anyone particular, it was more in general to the theme of a lot of posts this season. Wasn’t in any way trying to call any one person out. If the timing of my post made it seem to be a back handed call out or response that wasn’t my intention.
 
You made some valid points. Nothing wrong with supporting the team. I like to remind people that these are high school players. 15-17 years old. NFL and NCAA players are not perfect either.
A few plays here and there and this team is 4-1. Brenham is the real deal and no reason to hang heads about for losing to that team while still discovering what works. Everyone knew coming into the season that this was the position group with the least varsity experience.

Coaches will continue to coach and build, fans will share their opinions. It’s always been that way. The comments shared during games are emotion driven and situational. Not a true picture of anything.

I keep hearing mention of a small offensive line. By what standards? At least 4 of the starters are 6’+ 250-295 pounds. Other than 4-5 players over the last several years, PNG has seldom ever had offensive linemen any larger than that. What is the scoop on line size?
 

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (2-3)
vs.
Texas City Stingarees (4-1)


Friday, October 9, 7:00PM

The Reservation

HOME GAME TICKETS

NDN PRESS ON YOUTUBE

Regular Season Broadcasts

RADIO

INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Huge shout out to the entire Port Neches-Groves community for the support last night! You all created an amazing atmosphere for a high school football game and brought so much energy to our team! Our Band, G Crew, Indianettes, Frontline, and Cheerleaders were awesome!  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

DISTRICT SCORES

Back
Top