Football costs add up for school districts

bark

1,000+ Posts
yankeedawg said:
Who/what determines what extra curic activity receives funding and how much...I'm guessing that each activity runs their own fundraisers but doesn't the district also have funds that they direct to all sports organizations, clubs and the others.?? For example, doesn't seem right that band pays for their own shoes (probably one pair per year/member) while football gets theirs paid for (I'd guess at least 2 pairs per player/year (grass and artifical, at least). I know football reigns, but still....
***********************************************************************************

School Board determines who gets what. I think in the Bmt. Ent. is said about $1,200 per kid for football that's about 150 7th graders (both MS's) 150 8th (both) - I'm guessing here - but around 250 in grade 9 - 12, do the Math & 550 x 1,200= around $650,000 for football alone.

It would be interesting, and it is public knowledge, how much of the total Athletic Budget goes toward football?

And it is not fair, to all, that football rules - but that is the way it is in Texas, don't see that changing anytime soon.

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
pngmom4 said:
Now that the Booster Club has taken over the concessions at the stadium, all of student activities have a chance to make money for their causes. The concession stand has done surprisingly well, benefiting many students. The work is very easy in there, no cooking and little clean up. Several groups have already worked. Drama, Deca, Student Council, Boys Golf just to name a few. To work, the student activities sponsor just needs to get with Pat Briggs to sign up. It really beats having to sell cookie dough!

LOL...I dont know about anyone else...but I'm SICK of COOKIE DOUGH!

thetestament

shovelhead said:
Let me throw another point of view out there. When my kid was in high school, it seem like he needed money for something weekly. $20-100 for something. I'm not complaining, I just wondered how some kids with less resources were able to do this. I found out that they dont. Some kids dont participate or take advantage of all there is to offer because the money is not there. In some less wealthy districts, this is more of a problem than here. I do not want to see the school districts depend on parents to fund these programs. Some kids would be left out. Remember Grandma saying that the idle mind is the devil's workshop? Fundraising is a partial solution, but that revenue source is limited. I just dont want to see a child not participate beacuse a parent is unable or unwilling to help out. This goes not only sports, but band, drill team and any extracurricular program you can name. Of course, education comes first, but the other programs are important too. Saying all of this, I dont know what the solution is. I just dont want the kids shortchanged.

+1
This is so very true.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
It is sad and it does break my heart that there are kids who will not get to participate because of money.Seems like our school district is kinda run just like our country! What I mean by that is there are many needs right here in our district but not all of the money stays here.What a perfect world it would be if every student that wanted to participate could.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
thetestament said:
shovelhead said:
Let me throw another point of view out there. When my kid was in high school, it seem like he needed money for something weekly. $20-100 for something. I'm not complaining, I just wondered how some kids with less resources were able to do this. I found out that they dont. Some kids dont participate or take advantage of all there is to offer because the money is not there. In some less wealthy districts, this is more of a problem than here. I do not want to see the school districts depend on parents to fund these programs. Some kids would be left out. Remember Grandma saying that the idle mind is the devil's workshop? Fundraising is a partial solution, but that revenue source is limited. I just dont want to see a child not participate beacuse a parent is unable or unwilling to help out. This goes not only sports, but band, drill team and any extracurricular program you can name. Of course, education comes first, but the other programs are important too. Saying all of this, I dont know what the solution is. I just dont want the kids shortchanged.

+1
This is so very true.
Be part of the solution---volunteer in the concession stand, project graduation, band contest, etc.

bandkid

Staff member
The other side to that story is that most families with kids participating in activities other than football shell out considerable amounts of money, rich or poor. You never want to see a kid unable to participate due to finances, but they come up with the cash for band, the drill team, the cheerleading squad, etc.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
bark said:
yankeedawg said:
Who/what determines what extra curic activity receives funding and how much...I'm guessing that each activity runs their own fundraisers but doesn't the district also have funds that they direct to all sports organizations, clubs and the others.?? For example, doesn't seem right that band pays for their own shoes (probably one pair per year/member) while football gets theirs paid for (I'd guess at least 2 pairs per player/year (grass and artifical, at least). I know football reigns, but still....
***********************************************************************************

School Board determines who gets what. I think in the Bmt. Ent. is said about $1,200 per kid for football that's about 150 7th graders (both MS's) 150 8th (both) - I'm guessing here - but around 250 in grade 9 - 12, do the Math & 550 x 1,200= around $650,000 for football alone.

It would be interesting, and it is public knowledge, how much of the total Athletic Budget goes toward football?

And it is not fair, to all, that football rules - but that is the way it is in Texas, don't see that changing anytime soon.

I thought the Supt. and upper admin. made decisions on budget issues with the school board voting to accept or deny the recommendation. Although I have attended some PNGISD board meetings through the year`s where the recommendations were altered. I don`t know for sure ?

NDNband69

500+ Posts
One of the advantages from our football stadium at PN-G is we got the UIL Region X Marching Band Contest this last Saturday. Talk about a great fit. This showcased our stadium to 36 local bands. Most had not seen our stadium before the contest. Congrats to the PN-G Purple Pride Band.......straight 1's!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The response from all I spoke with was how nice it was to have the contest at The Reservation. Our BIG covered under stadium concourse was great for all to enjoy. The concession stand was extreme busy....all.....day....long. At the end, we sold out of everything. After all bands had completed their competition, The Lamar Band gave a special performance for the finale!!! What a show.

bandkid

Staff member
NDNband69 said:
One of the advantages from our football stadium at PN-G is we got the UIL Region X Marching Band Contest this last Saturday. Talk about a great fit. This showcased our stadium to 36 local bands. Most had not seen our stadium before the contest. Congrats to the PN-G Purple Pride Band.......straight 1's!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The response from all I spoke with was how nice it was to have the contest at The Reservation. Our BIG covered under stadium concourse was great for all to enjoy. The concession stand was extreme busy....all.....day....long. At the end, we sold out of everything. After all bands had completed their competition, The Lamar Band gave a special performance for the finale!!! What a show.

I heard it went really well and that everyone's happy with the move.

IndianFan said:
How's the stadium parking these days? Any improvements or additions in the past year?

The area where the old wing of the high school was is now a parking lot and an additional lot was added east of Park Street next to the old railroad tracks.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores