Gabe Pruett: Faircloth’s resume starting to speak for itself

bark

1,000+ Posts
I think the participation trophies are much like having 4 teams in each district go to the playoffs.

I would guess one question would be (to compare MB and BF to DE) how many times would Burnett or Faircloth have gone to the playoffs NOT winning a OUTRIGHT district championship?

Speaking of 4 teams how do you think we felt in 72 when TJ Lincoln and PNG were rated in the top 5 in the state? We stayed home with a team that had Bergeron, Burnett, Kenney, Williams, Mire, Hebert, etc...

hookem14

100+ Posts
bark said:
I think the participation trophies are much like having 4 teams in each district go to the playoffs.

I would guess one question would be (to compare MB and BF to DE) how many times would Burnett or Faircloth have gone to the playoffs NOT winning a OUTRIGHT district championship?

Speaking of 4 teams how do you think we felt in 72 when TJ Lincoln and PNG were rated in the top 5 in the state? We stayed home with a team that had Bergeron, Burnett, Kenney, Williams, Mire, Hebert, etc...
I don’t think this question is relevant at all. The reason being is that this isn’t the seventies anymore; multiple teams have been going to the playoffs for a LONG time. It’s not even worth discussing because it’s a totally different time. PN-G will Never be like it was in the seventies again.
And as far as how the team felt sitting home in 72, I’m sure they felt like they weren’t quite good enough to get it done, much like EVERY team that falls just short of their goals feels.
Fanny

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The point I was trying to make is that, other than 3 times in history, (53-55, 74-77, 99), PNG teams have not exactly set the world on fire.

2016 was indeed a very good season by typical PNG standards. PNG is not a WO-S or Katy type of program. So let's not bash an 11 win season and the coaches.

Hopefully the players can improve enough next season to go further.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
But regardless of how many 10+ win seasons, district championships, state championships, etc, the Port Neche-Groves Indians are one of the most interesting and supported programs in the state.

Watch the Katy HS playoff game in NRG on TexanLive.com. Other than an obvious advantage in player talent level and number of players in the program, Katy HS spirit, band, fan support has nothing on PN-G.

Yeah it would be great to have Katy's recent W-L record and state championship wins, but I wouldn't trade my PN-G association and support for anything. PNG alumnus and fans have much to appreciate and be proud of.

rodney12345678

100+ Posts
Just remember the times after ethridge left we dont want to go back there. There were some lean years.Before danny malone and coach burnett came along.

Torino

500+ Posts
Am tired of hearing about Malone. Any idea why a coach with a 19-6 record over his 2 years was encouraged to leave?
BTW, CBF was 19-6 his first 2 years: 11-1 in 2009 and 8-5 in 2010.
And, if it a family with 2 all-state linebackers who moved to Lake Travis a couple of years before he arrived had stayed we might have beaten Brenham in 2009 and gone to the finals. Same in 2010 vs. Manvel.
I know, coulda/woulda...

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
hookem14 said:
bark said:

I don’t think this question is relevant at all. The reason being is that this isn’t the seventies anymore; multiple teams have been going to the playoffs for a LONG time. It’s not even worth discussing because it’s a totally different time. PN-G will Never be like it was in the seventies again.
And as far as how the team felt sitting home in 72, I’m sure they felt like they weren’t quite good enough to get it done, much like EVERY team that falls just short of their goals feels.
Fanny

Lets not forget that the population in the state of Texas has nearly tripled since 1970. Hundreds of new schools have opened. The Texas HS playoffs had to make way for the ever-growing population. With such a mass influx of people into the state in the last 45 years, one could argue that making a deep run into the playoffs is just as impressive, if not more impressive, than making a deep run into the playoffs in the 70's.

Is 4 teams in TXHS football too many? I don't know. 12 out of 32 make it in the NFL. There are 80 bowl spots open in college football (some 5-7 teams will get to go bowling this year). There is no perfect method to determining how many teams should get to taste the postseason.

All I know is that I'm going to ride with my Indians, win or lose. There is no need to compare Coach BF to the past. Apples and oranges - doesn't make sense. The game is a totally different animal than it was 40-50 years ago. I'm going to support Coach BF as long as he is staying on the straight and narrow. One thing is for certain, I'm proud to call Coach BF OUR coach.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
NDNTime said:
hookem14 said:
bark said:

Fanny

Lets not forget that the population in the state of Texas has nearly tripled since 1970. Hundreds of new schools have opened. The Texas HS playoffs had to make way for the ever-growing population. With such a mass influx of people into the state in the last 45 years, one could argue that making a deep run into the playoffs is just as impressive, if not more impressive, than making a deep run into the playoffs in the 70's.

Is 4 teams in TXHS football too many? I don't know. 12 out of 32 make it in the NFL. There are 80 bowl spots open in college football (some 5-7 teams will get to go bowling this year). There is no perfect method to determining how many teams should get to taste the postseason.

All I know is that I'm going to ride with my Indians, win or lose. There is no need to compare Coach BF to the past. Apples and oranges - doesn't make sense. The game is a totally different animal than it was 40-50 years ago. I'm going to support Coach BF as long as he is staying on the straight and narrow. One thing is for certain, I'm proud to call Coach BF OUR coach.

With us being land strapped I foresee us dropping down in a few years. I know there is a new development on the old Pea Patch Course, any companies hiring so we can recruit...lol

bark

1,000+ Posts
Never realize Malone was 19-6.
I was told why he was fired by 2 of the asst coaches.

I believe they told me Coke machine $ probably an excuse for Dr. Byrd. There was some type of "Texas wrestling" going on and a Principals secretary turned him in. That is what that Principal told me a few years ago when it came up on this board.

I am sure there are different views. I do know that the wrestling thing was an issue.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
bark said:
Never realize Malone was 19-6.
I was told why he was fired by 2 of the asst coaches.

I believe they told me Coke machine $ probably an excuse for Dr. Byrd. There was some type of "Texas wrestling" going on and a Principals secretary turned him in. That is what that Principal told me a few years ago when it came up on this board.

I am sure there are different views. I do know that the wrestling thing was an issue.

Sure made them tough and physical!! Also made them close and a team!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores