Game Day: PN-G Indians vs Lake Creek Lions

Usedtocould

2,000+ Posts
Marcos reminded me a lot of Will Middlebrooks the Res Sox Third baseman when they won SC at Liberty Eylau in 2006
Same “you can’t stop me” attitude (paired with LaMichael James as his RB)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Flashback to the pre-Joseph years!
That was a heck of an offense. Not only the QB and RB, but that offensive line protected the QB for most of the night against a staunch PN-G d-line and linebacker corp that knows how to apply pressure. Hernandez, Fuentes and Wuenschel barely touched Morris all night thanks to his protection and scrambling ability. LC is going to gain a lot of yards and score a lot of points on most teams they might face.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Also some perspective. The fumble led to an early TD for LC. And the blown kickoff coverages gave up 14 points. That's a 21 point swing and big momentum builders for LC. But the Indians weathered all that. It's not all bad. The Indians didn't play a stellar game but still had enough fire power to take the win. But there will need to be some big improvements on special teams and the secondary. I don't think just any team will be able to run it up like that, but one was almost enough.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting note given the talk about the home crowd being a difference maker. It was. The Creek offense was visibly shaken on the final drive, had to call timeouts as fans erupted and the Indian Band blasted 'War Chant'. PN-G's '12th man' effect made a difference. 'Indian Spirit' was a force to be reckoned with.

CS

100+ Posts
Interesting note given the talk about the home crowd being a difference maker. It was. The Creek offense was visibly shaken on the final drive, had to call timeouts as fans erupted and the Indian Band blasted 'War Chant'. PN-G's '12th man' effect made a difference. 'Indian Spirit' was a force to be reckoned with.
Yeah i was pretty shocked by that because earlier this week their HC said we weren’t a loud group and it would be no problem

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Held LC to 14 points in the second half...7 in the 3Q and 7 in the 4Q. PN-G scored 20 points in the second half. 7 in the 3Q and 13 in the 4Q. But, you're right. Holding Eli Morcos and Tyvann Byars to 14 points in the second half is what you have to do if you want to beat them.

I can't believe Eli Morcos doesn't have more high-end D1 offers. I think he has offers from Tulsa and a few other small D1 colleges. He can play. I'd love for him to go to Houston. They need a great playmaker at the QB spot. Morcos can run, make all the throws, and he has great calmness and field vision. At 6'3" and 205 lbs. he should be getting more offers soon. All that said, PN-G's pocket dynamite #35 got him on the ground when it counted the most.
He reminds me of a much bigger version of Kendall Briles.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
OLD MAN, GET OFF MY LAWN RANT! In this digital, instant age of everything in 2024, why can't I find a newspaper article about the MLC vs. PN-G game? Stats? Box score? It would be nice to know how many yards the Indians gained, gave-up, penalty yardage, and individual stats for the players of both teams.

hookem14

100+ Posts
OLD MAN, GET OFF MY LAWN RANT! In this digital, instant age of everything in 2024, why can't I find a newspaper article about the MLC vs. PN-G game? Stats? Box score? It would be nice to know how many yards the Indians gained, gave-up, penalty yardage, and individual stats for the players of both teams.
Final stats:
PNG
460 rushing
146 passing

Lake Creek
300 rushing
246 passing

Connor Bailey 8 for 12 & 2 TD
Tyson Henry 27 carries 298 yards
Blair Chatagnier 23 carries for 162 yards
London Nunley 3 catches for 46 yards
Case Thurston 2 catches for 62 yards

QB Eli Marcos 14 for 22
Levi Marcos 14 carries 160 yards
Tyvonn Byars 14 carries 119 yards

bandkid

Staff member
It’s easy to get disillusioned coming off of a SC season, especially when you think about how good our defense was at the end of the season. However, we have a lot of new players on defense and it will take some time to get them playing at their peak. That is why it is unfortunate that we have to play LC and Huntsville so early in the season. The same thing can be said about the wide receivers other than Nunley. On the other hand, we won the game in spite of those obstacles, so overall it was a great victory. So, yes, we still need a lot of work on defense, special teams, and even the passing game. But in spite of my disagreement with one call in particular (the fake punt), I have faith in our coaching staff and feel confident that this district and coaching staff will prepare us very well for the playoffs.
This is a very fair point.

bandkid

Staff member
One thing that came across on the NDN Press broadcast...did anyone else see all the young kids participating under the Friday night lights? Little cheerleaders, the middle school band, little twirlers, some little Indian Spirits, and maybe I missed a few others. The PN-GISD is doing things the right way. Getting as many kids as possible involved in Friday nights is the way you keep tradition alive and growing. That's why we have great numbers in band, Indianettes, cheer leaders, and making the Indian Spirit the centerpiece of our history with little guys dancing with their own outfits, shields, and spears! That was great to see.

If you are a kid attending PN-GISD and you are not involved in something, then you don't want to be involved. There are so many opportunities to be part of PN-G's Special Spirit...Pass it on! Great job by the PN-GISD admins, teachers, sponsors, and volunteers. Keep our kids invovled. That's why PN-GISD is the envy other others. They do it right, loud, and proud. GO INDIANS!
I watched the game last night (from a hotel in Meridian, Mississippi, where I’m staying to see Alabama and Georgia play later today) and what you’re pointing out here stuck out to me, too.

In particular, what struck me most was that I couldn’t recall seeing that many kids on the track since I was a kid. There were moments when I felt like I was watching those old VHS scenes from 1999 uploaded to YouTube.

I saw a picture on Facebook someone took of the home side from Park Street last night. I hadn’t seen that stadium look that packed in years.

Amid all the mascot controversy, the explosion, all the hurricanes and so forth, there was a period of time where it felt like we lost something. Like the Indian Faithful had fallen out of step. If there’s one thing I’ll always be thankful to Jeff Joseph and the 2022-23 Indians for, it’s reigniting that pride at the Reservation. However frustrated we might be with various issues on the field right now, it’s good to look, feel, and sound like the PN-G Indians again.

Let’s go get Huntsville next week and keep that win streak going. Scalp ‘em.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Final stats:
PNG
460 rushing
146 passing

Lake Creek
300 rushing
246 passing

QB Eli Marcos 14 for 22
606 total yards of purple offense. And the most impressive running game in memory. (Thank you offensive line.) Excellent job managing the game CB.

Tyson Henry needs to be RB1 and in EVERY play where tough yards need to be made. Chatagnier makes a great #2 punch, or RB1_B if you will, especially when the defense is worn down. They are both excellent in their own way.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
We also have to remember, those are high school players, some still gaining experience. They will continue to improve as the season progresses. And the staff will make adjustments and shift personnel as necessary. May even see #11 Nunley back there in the D secondary more as he was last night on key plays.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
it really is shocking that neither local publication cared to cover the defending state champion playing a Houston area powerhouse again.

The era of John Devillier, Bob West, Burt Darden, Tom Halliburton and other old school sports writers that graced the local papers are long gone. Now we are beginning to see reporters stretched too thin, or AI generated articles which are typically bird cage lining at best. The demise of newspapers and their lack of profitability have made it tough to employ writers. Unless they are printing these articles and not publishing online, end result, games are not covered and fans are left to other means of finding information.

HomeTown99

Final stats:
PNG
460 rushing
146 passing

Lake Creek
300 rushing
246 passing

QB Eli Marcos 14 for 22
Jayce Neeb #16 had a couple of crucial catches as well!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores