How well do Our 2010 Indians stack up to the 1999 State Finalist offensively???

squaw

1,000+ Posts
png tribe said:
We're getting way ahead of ourselves, we need to beat Vidor first. They run the same offense that Livingston run's. Our offense is very good but sooner or later someone will slow it down and then the defense will have to step up. It is going to be a interesting matchup against Central's defense next week. We have to get to the playoff's first before we can make some noise. I think we will but anything can happen.
I agree. My point was that its not over.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
As a senior Long completed 53.6% of his passes for an average of 195.6 ypg over the season.

Through 8 games Doty is averaging 225.6 ypg and has completed 60.1% of his passes.

Doty has thrown for 20 TDs through 8 games. Long threw for 28 TDs over 16 games in 1999.

I said here before the season that Doty might end up being as productive and, to the disagreement of many, as good or better than Long was.

They are both very good QBs. Long was a better runner and probably a little faster. Doty is better at throwing the ball on the run. Long was more proficient, in a different system, at calling plays. Both have similar arm strength. Both are winners. Doty is having a better senior season and if the team should go far will break all Long's season passing records.

2 year comparisons:
Long
Jr. 141-of-262 passes for 2,163 yards and 22 TDs (53.8%)
Sr. 209-of-390 passes for 3,130 yards and 28 TDs (53.6%)

Doty
Jr. 157-of-280 for 1,953 yards and 15 TDs (56.1%)
Sr. 169-of-277.5 for 2,256 yards and 25 TDs (60.1%) (*10 game totals at current averages, not counting any playoff games)

hookem14

100+ Posts
As I said earlier in this thread about several of the coaches from the 1999 staff telling me they believed the 2010 offense was superior to that of the 1999 year. Those same coaches told me they also believed Doty was better than Long.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a special team. One of the all-time best passing QBs, three outstanding receivers, a great offensive line, and a running back that will probably surpass Bergeron for 4th place on the all-time list. And then Harmon and LeBoeuf are in his sites.

png tribe

100+ Posts
No way Doty is better than Long! I don't believe Doty has more arm strength either. Whenever Long was in high school, I thought for sure that he would play in the pro's. I don't get the same feeling about Doty. I believe he is a very good qb in the right system. Does anyone know of what D-1 offer's are on the table for Doty? Everyone has their opinion.

redindian84

long was also in a run first offensive scheme. a run first formation a run first everything. and he had as much success as doty. your comparing them like they played the same offensive schemes. what you should do is imagine long with this system and double his numbers

Indian99

500+ Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking, that you can't really compare the two because of the different offensive schemes. Dustin was under center ALOT during his time here, where as Doty seems to be in shotgun alot more. I think Dustin would have thrived in the current system.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I put this up here for a fun comparison for everyone to enjoy. Noone is saying Long is better or Doty is better. You guys need to let up. This kinda stuff makes me wish Id never posted this.

NDN79

500+ Posts
The important thing to remember here is this: both Doty and Long led / and are leading their teams to victories. Both of them were / are fine young men. They provided / and are providing many memories for PN-G fans the world over. Each one was / is a part of a great team and was / is loved by all Indian fans.You can compare them if you want, but just remember that they are both Indians and that we should be thankful for what they did / and are doing!! ;D

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
redindian84 said:
long was also in a run first offensive scheme. a run first formation a run first everything. and he had as much success as doty. your comparing them like they played the same offensive schemes. what you should do is imagine long with this system and double his numbers

Good point. And of course the schemes are different. But the Indians have been fairly balanced offensively as was the 1999 team.
1999 - 2400 yards rushing, 2329 passing (through La Marque game)
2009 - 2218 yards rushing, 2015 passing, 403 rushes, 298 passes
2010 - 1375 yards rushing, 1832 passing, 238 rushes, 222 passes

Both QBs are good. The point was to recognize the current QB and offense are excellent and compare well with any past team.

PNGNDN1

You keyboard warriors r kidding me right? 14 and 2. State Finalists. Last minute loss to WOS on the 1 yard line after getting thoroughly destroyed at the half. Stephenville team with a 4.2 Kendall Briles. A D1 QB that would bring his team back from anything, even if he had to do it himself. (Shertz-Clemens). The gutsiest defense since the 70s. A kicker that would boot 50 yarders all day. 2 Running backs that would flat out get yards. Recievers that caught anything. And a line if I remember correctly that didnt give up a sack until the Championship game. Linebackers that were as good as weve ever had with the exception of Wilson Weber. Pitting them against a era with spread offenses that put up big numbers. Fairclothe is doing a great job, and he is keeping us in all of the games win or lose. But in my favorite ESPN voice.......... COMEON MAN............................. No comparison.

redindian84

but i will say that the difference now is the offensive line coaching. that is a huge factor in the running game in this and last years teams. put any running back from the past ten years behind that line and they will shine. woulda loved to see derek gohlke or josh cook running behind that line.

PNGNDN1

To me............... And yes I am a nobody.............. But If there was a trivia pursuit game for PNG football, I would beat ya................. The 89 team, the 96 team, 98 and 99 teams, all had great defenses. Offensivly the spread wasnt much used. It was a bend dont break defense, with a ball control offense. The 89 team had Ron............ And Ron was the best back we have had since Eicher. The defense was stout and hardnosed. 12 and 2 behing my guy, Mr. Danny Malone from the Troy era...... Lost to A&M Consolidated behind a guy named Cliff Groce. Played in NFL for years with the Colts. Thats a week after our last All American kicked us past Lamar COnsolidated. Bet they r still not laughing over that one. 96...... 1 word KILLER Defense. Still back in the penetration days. I put that1 solely on Matt and staff. Playing not to win. Jacksonville had a D1 Texas A&M product that appeared to hit a knee, no whistle ,bam 1 minute left we lose lead for first time and game over. 98 99, lost to Dakari Pearson from Dayton, D1 kid played at UT in secondary for 4 years. 98 had the Twins at reciever with a good running game. Stout Defense, but Dayton just put in on us at LU Stadium. 99 well everyone knows that story........ 2010............... If you notice all of these temas that were playoff teams had 1 thing in common. DEFENSE. Now I know this is a offense thread, so dont beat me up to bad. 2010 in my opinion, Above average offense. Below Average Defense, And not in the same vocabulary as the rest. Go ahead and beat me up over it.... Ws and Ls Dont lie. :woot:

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
I am impressed PNGNDN1. That was a short but very THOROUGH cliff`s notes version of recent " great " INDIAN teams. The common denominator for all is the defense.

NDN79

500+ Posts
Great post PNGNDN1! We all have opinions and it's fun sharing them on this web-site. The main thing we all have in common is that WE ALL LOVE THE INDIANS! Thanks for sharing that post.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
People always like to talk about recent history and they forget how good those teams from 1974-1977 were. PN-G played in the largest classification at the time (4A) and during the playoffs, they played the big boys, i.e., Kashmere, LaPorte, Galveston Ball, Plano, Odessa Permian, etc. You can have 1999 or 2010 ... I'd take 1975, 1976, or 1977. The best QB at PN-G in terms of W-L and putting hardware in the trophy case was Richy Ethridge. He could run, he could throw, he was a leader, and he was a winner (27-2 over 2 years with a state championship and semi-finalist team on his resume). And, as others have said before, those teams in 1974-1977 had very good OLs and good defenses.

I'd go:

I'm not old enough to comment on the Indians of the 1950s. But those teams deserve some love, too. They put hardware in the trophy cases.

Go Indians. Peace.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
PNGNDN1...nice analysis of the 80's and 90's. But I may be able to beat you at PNG trivial pursuit on the WOS 98 and 99 games. The game where WOS tackled our receiver, after interfering with him, and then laid on top of him so we couldn't get off another play was in 1998 at WOS. The game in in 1999 ended on a 4th down screen pass either batted down or intercepted at around midfield, then WOS killed the clock to end the game played at PNG. I remember after the 98 game, hooks was trying to do a tv interview on our side of the field and our band was BLASTING Cherokee so he couldn't hear the reporter. He had made a big deal that year about hating Cherokee...every time the band would finish playing it, he would try to talk to the reporter and they would start playing it again...it was hilarious.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores