How well do Our 2010 Indians stack up to the 1999 State Finalist offensively???

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I remember something about the 1996 team that you have forgotten. They, like this team and the 1999 team, had a great o-line that season.

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
redindian84 said:
i mean he took down all the speed and weight records. records that were set before his era. mighty good ones. its a shame to. records make kids want to work harder to acheive something. thats a big part of off season for the guys while getting ready for next season as well
Those are not real records. Those are off-season recorded times. Unless they are timed electronically, a 4.39 means nothing. It is a matter of who has the stop watch. Begnaud graduated a year before Tezeno and there is NO WAY he was faster than Begnaud, he just had a coach timing him with a quick thumb. There is no way to certify any of those 40 times. I am not downing Tezeno or Wright by any means, but the records that count are on the field. They were both good players, so that's where they made thier mark. Also, I don't think when fans talk about how good current players are that it is meant as any disrespect to former players. We have gad a lot of good players that never got the recognition because they were on teams that weren't considered on one of the PNG "great teams". As it has been said on here many times...whether a player was All-American, All-State, All-District, a starter, a back-up or a scout team player, they were all INDIANS and are part of PNG history forever. It is only natural for current players and players that someone remembers from thier days or when they were growing up to be mentioned when talking about great past players.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Only 1 team in recent memory -- 1999 -- has a claim to be in the discussion. All of the others are a tier below. Take 1975, 1977, 1976, 1999, 1974, 1972, 1971, and 1989 and they will blow any other team from the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s out of the water. W-L numbers don't lie ... leaving your mark in the playoffs does not disappear ... and those teams in 1972 or 1971 would have won state but for Little Joe Washington and Kenny Washington. All the others are not in the discussion. [NOTE: Teams from 1925 -1959 are exempt ... I have no knowlege about those squads ... no disrespect intended ... and Gordon LeBoeuf (RIP) still has records on the wall from the 1950s, so we must give them some love].

And, I agree about the 40 times ... uh, unless those kids are reincarnations of Jeff "The Jet" Bergeron or Mike Simpson (PN-G Class of 1965), no one from PN-G ran any 40 time sub 4.5. They may have said they did, but trust me, they didn't. If they did, we would have read about their success in track and field. Coach must have been trigger happy with that stop watch. ;D

Here's to 2010 leaving its mark in PN-G history. I love the Faircloth regime ... I think great things are on the horizon.

Go Indians. Peace. O0

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
ndnsrock44 said:
redindian84 said:
i mean he took down all the speed and weight records. records that were set before his era. mighty good ones. its a shame to. records make kids want to work harder to acheive something. thats a big part of off season for the guys while getting ready for next season as well
Those are not real records. Those are off-season recorded times. Unless they are timed electronically, a 4.39 means nothing. It is a matter of who has the stop watch. Begnaud graduated a year before Tezeno and there is NO WAY he was faster than Begnaud, he just had a coach timing him with a quick thumb. There is no way to certify any of those 40 times. I am not downing Tezeno or Wright by any means, but the records that count are on the field. They were both good players, so that's where they made thier mark. Also, I don't think when fans talk about how good current players are that it is meant as any disrespect to former players. We have gad a lot of good players that never got the recognition because they were on teams that weren't considered on one of the PNG "great teams". As it has been said on here many times...whether a player was All-American, All-State, All-District, a starter, a back-up or a scout team player, they were all INDIANS and are part of PNG history forever. It is only natural for current players and players that someone remembers from thier days or when they were growing up to be mentioned when talking about great past players.

The offseason board prior to Begnuad's year showed Cappadona (sp) as the record holder in the 40. I think Begnaud broke the record several years back.

You're right about the comparisons. It's being misconstrued and taken out of context. My point with the Long-Doty comparison in this discussion was that Doty is a **** good QB that ranks up there with any of them. This is 2010 and I prefer to focus on the strengths of the current players.

RBs can't be directly compared either. Who knows how any of them would have performed on a past or current team. There are too many factors. They all have/had their strengths and weaknesses and operate in different offenses depending on the era. Begnaud, Wright and Tezeno were all fast but none of them ran that strong. When they were hit they'd go down. Eicher, Shipley, McGill, Gohlke, Cook and Harmon were a different breed of runner. Those guys would move the pile and were fast. Bertrand is improving every game and moving into that second group. All were talented.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
prepballfan said:
I remember something about the 1996 team that you have forgotten. They, like this team and the 1999 team, had a great o-line that season.

Any successfull team had a good offensive line. Without it the backs are going nowhere. :helmet: ;D

ndnsrock44

100+ Posts
I prefer to focus on the current team, too. I doubt Dustin Long gets his feelings hurt when people praise Doty. I am sure he is proud of our Indians and is happy for Doty and his success. Likewise, I am sure Cook, Hemmings and Harmon are glad to see Bertrand carrying on the tradition of PNG running backs.

ndn1998

I wonder if anyone has any video of Ron Mcgill? I watched him run then and it was awesome and would love for someone to post some video if they have any.

hookem14

100+ Posts
ndn1998 said:
I wonder if anyone has any video of Ron Mcgill? I watched him run then and it was awesome and would love for someone to post some video if they have any.
He was awesome

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will), but Faircloth has a history of growing (for lack of a better word) record breaking QB's and running backs. Look at what he accomplished at OP. I can't believe any true Indian would be disgruntled by the fact that he's doing exactly what he was hired to do. I'm sure D Long would be thrilled to see Doty's success.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will), but Faircloth has a history of growing (for lack of a better word) record breaking QB's and running backs. Look at what he accomplished at OP. I can't believe any true Indian would be disgruntled by the fact that he's doing exactly what he was hired to do. I'm sure D Long would be thrilled to see Doty's success.

You're right. Faircloth is known for developing QBs, RBs, being an offensive mastermind, good motivator, and obviously hiring the right coaches for the other positions. Similar to Art Briles.

Long is in the books as great and that will never change. Times change and records are broken. At the time Long was in the top 10 or so all-time Texas HS QBs in terms of passing yardage. Now he's way down the list because of the proliferation of passing offenses in the past 11 years.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan said:
prepballfan said:

Any successfull team had a good offensive line. Without it the backs are going nowhere. :helmet: ;D

IndianFan ... you are a wise man ... the foundation for all great teams begins on the OL ... the teams from 1974-1977 had great OLs as did the 1989 team. When you have all-state performers in the trenches you will win a lot of games. The QBs, RBs and WRs all perform well when the OL is rock solid.

Go Indians. Peace.

Indian99

500+ Posts
hookem14 said:
ndn1998 said:
He was awesome

I used to watch the 1989 highlight reel with some fellow players before every football game, It became a tradition of ours to do this. We used to joke about leaving a good highlight reel behind so that other fellow Indians would be able to pop ours in and watch it before every game, just like we were doing. Boy that makes me feel old.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
My co-worker has the PNG Nederland game on vhs at work from the 1989 season.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
1989NDN--I agree with your post in all things but one. The foundation of any great football team begins with the coach and coaching staff. The progress we see each week demonstrates that, in my opinion. I respect BF even more when I watched how he maintains discipline with his players and he demands their respect. That will produce winners and young men who will learn lessons that serve them well in their lives. And, I still say we have a chance of having a great team this year and going deep into the playoffs.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
squaw said:
1989NDN--I agree with your post in all things but one. The foundation of any great football team begins with the coach and coaching staff. The progress we see each week demonstrates that, in my opinion. I respect BF even more when I watched how he maintains discipline with his players and he demands their respect. That will produce winners and young men who will learn lessons that serve them well in their lives. And, I still say we have a chance of having a great team this year and going deep into the playoffs.

Agreed ... coaching makes all the difference in the world at the HS level ... a good HC with strong assistant coaches + some talented kids and a mixture of role players = state championships. Just ask Art Briles, Todd Dodge, Alan Waddell, Mike Johnson, Gary Joseph, Doug Ethridge, etc. You're on the money, Squaw. ;D I think the Indians have the pieces to the puzzle in 2010 and beyond.

Go Indians. Peace.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
ndn1998 said:

I would love to see that too. He was an electric runner. Maybe someone could slip it on YouTube?!?

OldEagle

500+ Posts
There is a highlight video of the 1989 Quarterfinal team that show a lot of Ron. Also Bryan Bost, Steve Gizzi, Thad Gordan, Ryan Roberson, Mark Binagia, Kieth Waguespack (place kicker), etc. I had forgotten how good Ron McGill was. I have one but don't know how to enter it in youtube. Maybe I can get my grandkids to do it.

ingainerYYZ

100+ Posts
Ron McGill ( chatangier now ) was great ! Bryan Bost was phenomenal ! Both guy`s had a wonderful support staff. Overall just a great team. One of PN-G`s best.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (3-0)
vs.
Lake Creek Lions (2-1)

Friday, Sept. 27, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores