Indian Stadium Renovation

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Bigdog said:
Am I the first Ned guy back on the new board?? hmmm.

Anyway, do yall think that they will make the timetable they set for the stadium? Even with the weather around here?

Welcome back!

Near perfect weather has the stadium playable for district, and completed in October. We are hearing rumors that the district is investigating an all-away season.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
"Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment"

-Finagle's corollary to Murphy's Law

Bigdog

The Dog
pngfan93 said:
Bigdog said:
Am I the first Ned guy back on the new board?? hmmm.

Anyway, do yall think that they will make the timetable they set for the stadium? Even with the weather around here?

Welcome back!

Near perfect weather has the stadium playable for district, and completed in October. We are hearing rumors that the district is investigating an all-away season.

Yeah, I have been watching the tear down too. I'm just wondering if we have one or two of our week long rains or God forbid another hurricane that the construction will get behind. Also, ask anyone who has built a house, if the contractors are waiting for anything, they will send thier guys to another site. An all-away season, is probably the best plan.

Indian fan, you got that right. ;D

IBLEEDPURPLE

1,000+ Posts
** RUMOR CONTROL...... This may only be a rumor **

Someone mentioned to me that a representative from PNISD was attempting to work out a deal with NISD for PNG to play their home games at Nederland's stadium when the bulldogs are playing away games.

There was also mention of PN-G playing Saturday home games at Nederland Bulldog stadium. This would only be in case the new PNG stadium experiences delays and the completion runs into the football season.

Anyone else hear anything????

Bigdog

The Dog
IBLEEDPURPLE said:
** RUMOR CONTROL...... This may only be a rumor **

Someone mentioned to me that a representative from PNISD was attempting to work out a deal with NISD for PNG to play their home games at Nederland's stadium when their team is playing away games. There was also mention of Saturday home games at Nederland Bulldog stadium. This would only be in case the new PNG stadium experiences delays and the completion runs into football stadium.

Anyone else hear anything????
I have heard the same thing, nothing confirmed though.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't be the first time. That also happened back when Indian Stadium was being built in the 50's. Or maybe there was another reason.

If Nederland were undergoing similar changes I would expect they'd work out a deal to do the same. It's the only logical thing to do.

Bigdog

The Dog
The only difference I think is if Ned passes thier bond, the new stadium is going to be onsite with the high school, and we will be able to use the old one until then. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!

NDN fan 4ever

100+ Posts
Well I know for a fact that my son will be "thrilled" to play his senior year in Nederland stadium :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:. When these kids were in middle school they had already figured out that they would play Nederland at the Rez their senior year. When the bond was proposed, we parents were assured that the worst we could expect was an interruption of the non-district games. I realize that the new stadium is great in the long run but lets consider next year's seniors (football, band, NDNettes, etc.)who didn't realize that they were really playing their last game at home this year.

BTW, has anyone figured out how much revenue we stand to lose playing at another district's stadium? We will have to share ticket proceeds to cover that districts costs of stadium operations. A reduction in our revenue not only impacts football but all other NDN sports as well. Football ticket proceeds bankroll the other sports expenditures because unfortunately the other sports don't generate the attendance $$$$ that football does. We cannot use state $$$ to offset athletic losses. We've been asking these questions but no one seems to know the answer (or wants to fess up).

Bigdog

The Dog
NDN fan 4ever said:
Well I know for a fact that my son will be "thrilled" to play his senior year in Nederland stadium :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:. When these kids were in middle school they had already figured out that they would play Nederland at the Rez their senior year. When the bond was proposed, we parents were assured that the worst we could expect was an interruption of the non-district games. I realize that the new stadium is great in the long run but lets consider next year's seniors (football, band, NDNettes, etc.)who didn't realize that they were really playing their last game at home this year.

There was no guarentee of that. Realignment sometimes messes up the home/away schedule. I know that we played yall at home two years in a row a couple of times.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Bigdog said:
The only difference I think is if Ned passes thier bond, the new stadium is going to be onsite with the high school, and we will be able to use the old one until then. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!

Is NISD planning a new stadium? From what I've heard, there is not enough taxable value to build a new stadium. I know that many of the schools are getting what amounts to "patchwork" because there just isn't enough money in a possible bond to do much. At least this is what Helena Park teachers have been told is the reason for the few things they may get out of the bond.

I think it would be great if y'all got a new stadium also, but realize that we are spending $9 million, and that does not include parking, the visitor's side, or a field house. Include inflation and the lack of a work force due to refinery expansion by the time your bond passes, and labor will cost all that much more.

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Most noticeably, the home side concession stand is gone. Maybe next week I'll stand in the bed of my truck to get better pictures over the fence.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Not to my knowlege, however, they sure have removed sizable areas of it. Since they were all built at the same time, and since the engineers had issues with the structural integrity of it in the past, it would sure make scense to at least beef it up while this is going on.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Justafan said:
Is anything going to be done to the visitors bleachers?

The original plans only included slight rework of the existing stands. They have already removed the press box and stairs leading up to it.
The remainder of the work will be to accommodate the new restrooms, concession stands and ticket office. Anyone know if they at least plan to sandblast and paint the underside?

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
At this point, I think its anyone's guess as to any thing that may happen. Original plans did not include the scoreboard and sound system. Neither did they include complete demolition of the home stands. My perception is that we'll know what's going on as it is done.

Bigdog

The Dog
pngfan93 said:
Bigdog said:

Is NISD planning a new stadium? From what I've heard, there is not enough taxable value to build a new stadium. I know that many of the schools are getting what amounts to "patchwork" because there just isn't enough money in a possible bond to do much. At least this is what Helena Park teachers have been told is the reason for the few things they may get out of the bond.

I think it would be great if y'all got a new stadium also, but realize that we are spending $9 million, and that does not include parking, the visitor's side, or a field house. Include inflation and the lack of a work force due to refinery expansion by the time your bond passes, and labor will cost all that much more.

The last thing I have heard is a new High school and CO Wilson. The new stadium will be built where the current high school stands, so there will be no need for a field house, or parking it is already there. Again, last thing I heard. I'm sure that there will be additional improvements to other schools. Helena got a new addition a few years ago, and a new roof after Rita. That school is not in too bad of shape.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
pngfan93 said:
At this point, I think its anyone's guess as to any thing that may happen. Original plans did not include the scoreboard and sound system. Neither did they include complete demolition of the home stands. My perception is that we'll know what's going on as it is done.

The scoreboard sounds like a normal purchase outside of the bond. Advertising will easily pay for it so it's a no brainer.

The first plan presented by SHW did include demolition of the home side. It would be necessary to build out that design.

WB/NDN

Last thing I saw was last week and it looked like they were cleaning up the debris and lots of dirt work on the field. Saw a bunch of stakes like they may be mapping out the drainage system. I go by their every day anything changes I'll post it.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores