Ken Watson

rush

Anyone have any insight as to why Ken Watson had resigned after 8 years at PNG? I've always been curious why he resigned at the time he did. It worked out for PNG fans, though, because without that resignation PNG would not have got Ethridge. Interesting how things turn out.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I was too young to know what was going on at the time. I was one of the young kids running around the playgrounds with a #24 purple and white jersey purchased from Estes Sporting Goods.

But looking back at history, I would guess either personal reasons, like an opportunity to go into admin, which he eventually did, or pressure to win more.

He has one of the best W-L percentages of PN-G coaches, including better than Ethridge. But Watson was coaching at a time when only the district champion made the playoffs. The Indians had state ranked teams in the Bergeron era, but Lincoln also had Joe Washington and some tough teams. The Indians came up short all but one year and only played 1 playoff game (1968) in the Watson years, and that would have been considered insufficient. And Ethridge was a big name coach who was hired to reach the next level.

I’m sure someone else knows more about the circumstances. Regardless, Coach Watson has etched his place in PNG history. Both as a player and coach. And he was a cool principal and assistant superintendent too.

100+ Posts
Tacked up on the wall where you would see it when you entered the field house, during the '68 season, was an article from somewhere, maybe Port Arthur News back then, titled "Always the Bridesmaid, Never the Bride". That pretty much says it all I think. Or, at least that says pretty much all that I'll say about it. Coach Watson was a good man, though, well liked by the players, and by the community. I recall only seeing him lose his cool 1 time, on a Saturday morning after a JV game (a loss) at TJ, which came after a Friday night varsity loss, IIRC.

NHSBulldogFan

Anyone have any insight as to why Ken Watson had resigned after 8 years at PNG? I've always been curious why he resigned at the time he did. It worked out for PNG fans, though, because without that resignation PNG would not have got Ethridge. Interesting how things turn out.
He took the principal job at Ridgewood Elementary his goal was to get into administration and when the job came open he took it

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
He took the principal job at Ridgewood Elementary his goal was to get into administration and when the job came open he took it
Ridgewood was fortunate to have former head coaches Stone and Watson as principal at different times. Both were good men and pillars of their community who dedicated their lives to helping players and students.

rush

I got to thinking: What could have been for PNG if Ethridge got there 2 years prior when Bergeron was a junior. I could see 1, possibly 2, State Titles. Thoughts?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Watson ran the Wishbone during the Bergeron years. And Bergeron was not the only good back. Those early 70’s teams were loaded. So not a stretch to think an SC was possible in ‘71 and ‘72. San Antonio Lee won it in ‘71 and Permian was sc in ‘72. ‘74 was Tyler John Tyler with Earl Campbell so that may have been a tough win if The Indians had gotten past Brazoswood. ‘76 was also close with cold, gusty, rainy conditions at Rice stadium helping eventual state champion SA Churchill slow down a potent PNG offense, and ‘77 ‘should have been’ a SC. (The rumors of key players partying before the game and playing with ‘hangovers’ will always be a curiosity.)

So the prospect of being state champions from 1971-1977 may always be a nice fantasy.

rush

More curiosity: During that Bergeron time frame, who called the plays for PNG? Also, who was the defensive coordinator for PNG?

rush

Watson ran the Wishbone during the Bergeron years. And Bergeron was not the only good back. Those early 70’s teams were loaded. So not a stretch to think an SC was possible in ‘71 and ‘72. San Antonio Lee won it in ‘71 and Permian was sc in ‘72. ‘74 was Tyler John Tyler with Earl Campbell so that may have been a tough win if The Indians had gotten past Brazoswood. ‘76 was also close with cold, gusty, rainy conditions at Rice stadium helping eventual state champion SA Churchill slow down a potent PNG offense, and ‘77 ‘should have been’ a SC. (The rumors of key players partying before the game and playing with ‘hangovers’ will always be a curiosity.)

So the prospect of being state champions from 1971-1977 may always be a nice fantasy.
If Ethridge was there in '71 and '72, I think he would have dumped the Wishbone and installed the offense he later installed. Prior to him arriving at PNG, that offense had played in 2 State Championships and won 1.
BTW, I agree with you on the '77 team -- I personally think this team was better than the '75 team that won the Title. Should have won it!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
‘77 was my all-time favorite team and what I considered the best offense until 1999. Not sure if either team would have beaten the 2022-23 Indians. ‘77 team was ranked #1 and undefeated. As good as Plano was, the Indians had the team to win it.

Ethridge, Shipley, Eicher, Delcambre, Cooley, Kern, etc on offense. Brack, Miller, Plaia, DeRutte, etc on defense. Legendary players.

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
‘77 was my all-time favorite team and what I considered the best offense until 1999. Not sure if either team would have beaten the 2022-23 Indians. ‘77 team was ranked #1 and undefeated. As good as Plano was, the Indians had the team to win it.

Ethridge, Shipley, Eicher, Delcambre, Cooley, Kern, etc on offense. Brack, Miller, Plaia, etc on defense. Legendary players.
One player....Billy Ray Smith was the difference in that game.

NHSBulldogFan

Ethridge, Shipley, Eicher, Delcambre, Cooley, Kern, etc on offense. Brack, Miller, Plaia, etc on defense. Legendary players.
Jerry is legendary now for other reasons

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores