2,000+ Posts
My thought is why isn’t
Chet Garner
The Texas Daytripper guy
Doing more coverage even a full length “documentary” on it
Maybe because he’s a PBS guy not sure.

CS

100+ Posts
The latest DCTF computer poll also has 5-2 Huntsville ranked higher than 7-0 PNG? Matt Stepp predicted in his DCTF preseason poll Huntsville playing for the state title. There must be an outside knob to turn on his computer to input DFW bias.
The human picks and computer picks are completely separate from each other.
The -26 for PNG’s favor is human. The computer with the illogical algorithm is just something they do and share.
Ultimately it’s all for clicks but their “betting lines” have been fairly spot on.

19PNGndn68

Given the history of this series, the most likely outcome is a close game. Sure, there have been routs going both ways, but more often than not this has occurred when one of the teams was way below par during the year in question. That does not appear to be the case this year. Heck, even in 2022 we barely escaped with the W in spite of competing for a state championship that year. I am confident that we have the better team but we still have to prove it. I would love to be wrong but I think we will have to be at top of our game both offensively and defensively to be assured of a victory. I think the mental edge probably goes to the dogs as the clear underdog (pun intended), so in addition to playing well and avoiding turnovers we will have to match their intensity. I do feel confident that the coaching staff will have the team ready and will have a sound game plan.
The two HCs come from the same Katy coaching tree. They will know each others tendencies. Mental mind games. Fans are playing checkers. The HCs are playing chess.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The two HCs come from the same Katy coaching tree. They will know each others tendencies. Mental mind games. Fans are playing checkers. The HCs are playing chess.
Jeff Joseph fell off the Katy tree a long time ago. Those were hanging around dad and his high school playing days. He has more experience at Austin Westlake,Texas A&M University, Magnolia West and Southlake Carroll. Matt McDaniel is the longtime Katy coach of the two. But safe to say Joseph’s experience and achievements far exceeds Nederland’s coach.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
When you arrive at PN-G and go 13-3, 15-1, and 7-0, with two state championship appearances, one state championship trophy, and a 22-game winning streak, your accomplishments far exceed 99% of all Texas high school coaches. Doug Ethridge did his climb to the top of the mountain over four years, but Chief Jeff Jospeh stands elbow-to-elbow with Coach Ethridge. I've said it on this message board over and over again, but I'll say it again, as long as Chief Joseph and DC Matt McDaniel are on the PN-G sidelines and running things on The Reservation, the Indians will win a whole bunch of games. They might not win at the crazy pace they've established, but they will win a lot of games, and when they have a talented group of kids, they will challege for state championships. GO INDIANS!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Nederland's Hubert Thomas will make his fair share of plays. That's OK. He's a talented player. The PN-G staff will have a plan. Control the ball, tempo, and clock. Ask the OL to take over the game. Limit Nederland's possessions and win the TO battle. As great as Thomas may be--and he's a great player--I've never seen a RB score a TD when he's standing on the sidelines. Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Hubert Thomas can't do it from the sidelines.

cal81

Nederland's Hubert Thomas will make his fair share of plays. That's OK. He's a talented player. The PN-G staff will have a plan. Control the ball, tempo, and clock. Ask the OL to take over the game. Limit Nederland's possessions and win the TO battle. As great as Thomas may be--and he's a great player--I've never seen a RB score a TD when he's standing on the sidelines. Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Hubert Thomas can't do it from the sidelines.
He will be on the sidelines plenty because PN-G will be possessing the ball and scoring many times.

NHSBulldogFan

Nederland will likely try every trick in the book to keep a drive alive or win an extra series. Onside kicks, fake punts, halfback passes, and head games of every sort. The Indians just need to play to their strengths and take care of business. Nederland has nothing that Huntsville didn’t try or is capable of. And the seniors and a few juniors on the team have weathered SOC and other teams prior to this. They know what a big game is all about. The extracurricular means nothing. Just do your job every play.
The one area we (Nederland) has really struggled with is punting more specifically handling the punt i don't see alot of 4th down fakes happening in this one I'm just happy to get the punt off

NHSBulldogFan

Jeff Joseph fell off the Katy tree a long time ago. Those were hanging around dad and his high school playing days. He has more experience at Austin Westlake,Texas A&M University, Magnolia West and Southlake Carroll. Matt McDaniel is the longtime Katy coach of the two. But safe to say Joseph’s experience and achievements far exceeds Nederland’s coach.
Jeff didn't have alot of experience when he became defensive coordinator at Westlake Darren Allman took a chance on him that paid off...Nederland is doing the same thing with Matthew Wright well see where that goes...I'll say this as long as Matt McDaniel is on the PN-G staff PN-G will win ball games he has 5 state championship rings (6 if you count his playing days) to back it up

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff didn't have alot of experience when he became defensive coordinator at Westlake Darren Allman took a chance on him that paid off...Nederland is doing the same thing with Matthew Wright well see where that goes...I'll say this as long as Matt McDaniel is on the PN-G staff PN-G will win ball games he has 5 state championship rings (6 if you count his playing days) to back it up
Yes. These good coaches ultimately prove their ability wherever they are at. Katy HS has benefited from good coaches just like the rest of us. Katy didn’t make the coach, the coaches made Katy.

100+ Posts
The one area we (Nederland) has really struggled with is punting more specifically handling the punt i don't see alot of 4th down fakes happening in this one I'm just happy to get the punt off
It's in that kid's head.
I won't say which, but there's a PNG receiver that caught his first pass last Friday night, if I'm not mistaken, and hopefully will now have turned a corner.
And similar to the Nederland punt game, I've held my breath on every PNG extra point this season. All of these things are as much mental as anything of course, just like my golf swing.

19PNGndn68

When you arrive at PN-G and go 13-3, 15-1, and 7-0, with two state championship appearances, one state championship trophy, and a 22-game winning streak, your accomplishments far exceed 99% of all Texas high school coaches. Doug Ethridge did his climb to the top of the mountain over four years, but Chief Jeff Jospeh stands elbow-to-elbow with Coach Ethridge. I've said it on this message board over and over again, but I'll say it again, as long as Chief Joseph and DC Matt McDaniel are on the PN-G sidelines and running things on The Reservation, the Indians will win a whole bunch of games. They might not win at the crazy pace they've established, but they will win a lot of games, and when they have a talented group of kids, they will challege for state championships. GO INDIANS!
Pride Honor and Tradition well said. Who are We!!!PNG

19PNGndn68

We shouldn’t (and mostly will not need to) do many slow developing pass plays. Nederland absolutely got away with a roughing the passer against LC - They broke through and slammed the qb on the ground hard, and unnecessarily. We need to take advantage of their blitzing and just keep running the ball, or using short passes to the outside. If we hang Conner out to dry he’s going to get hurt.
Good assessment. PNG QB has been sacked much more this year. Like last year, Just quickly throw the ball away if the receivers can’t get open. Live to play another down. QB this year seems to feel he has to execute to near perfection in the passing game. Share the burden with your teammates.

I always like the chances with a jump ball pass completion by #11 in single coverage. Not so much in the double or triple coverage #11 draws this year. Other PNG receivers should take it as a sign of disrespect and become motivate to run sharp routes and eliminate the drops. Receivers should use every down and route to find the first step, double move, stop and go coverage weakness in your opponent. Don’t take off a down on a running play. Don’t get caught standing flat footed as you come to the end of your route.

A strong running game needs a passing game to stop the defense from loading up the box against the run.

19PNGndn68

Of all the college football marathon games yesterday

ONE punt got returned for maybe 10 yards (that I saw)

To me NO returner back
It’s a defense play just like any other down

EVERY punt return goes like this

Either (80%) (made up stats of how it seems)
The returner is frantically telling team mates to “get away” from the ball
Almost all the rest is a fair catch (under duress) with threat of a hold, illegal block or muff. None of the penalties or accidental touches make up for the yardage you save or gain from a catch or return.(when you add it all up)
It’s the same as punting on 4th down
Safe is sometimes best (punt returns are similar to going for it on 4th and long)
You only do it when you absolutely have to
Kickoff
Almost All returns could be hands team
As it is now mostly its fair catch put 2-3 guys back to handle the squib
The kickoff does allow for a return from time to time but there never should be an onside kick recovered with 95% certainly
Concur with your assessment. Appreciate PNG #11 / Coach approach to punt returns. PNG offense can score from any start on the field. No need to take chance on a bobble/fumble of a punt and flip the field. Reminds be of old Woody Hayes of Ohio State comment about a forward pass and all the things that can go wrong versus pounding the ball on the ground.
However, I am in need of an education. Still trying to figure out why there is a five to ten yard wide open area in front of the opponent punt snapper with a bunching/overload of three PNG down linemen on the outside on each end of the line of scrimmage on punts. PNG CBs split out to cover trackers. PNG doesn’t play this defensive scheme during the rest of the game? I thought i heard PNG was trying to be “aggressive” with this defensive punt scheme? I can always use words of wisdom. Please educate.

19PNGndn68

Your analysis makes me feel less nervous about MCM game outcome.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (7-0)
vs.
Nederland Bulldogs (6-1)

Friday, Oct. 25, 7:00PM

Indian Stadium, Port Neches, TX

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores